Skip to content

What's your good party?

Starting a new play through and was wondering what your good party is? I went with...

Charname is cavalier paladin
Ajantis, because 2 paladins are better than one
Branwen, because I prefer clerics over druids
Imoen, for thieving and bows
Neera, for mage skills and funny dialogue
And Rasaad, for uber monk damage

Comments

• GallengerGallenger Member Posts: 400
    edited January 2017
    Every few years I'll do a canon party run just to enjoy Khalid and Minsc again. But usually my preferred "good" party must include Alora and Ajantis - I dunno why I like Ajantis so much - maybe because the first time I found him as a kid I was just exploring, found a cool paladin, and we all instantly died by ankegs, and so I assumed he most be a God to be placed in such an area lol.
  • JumboWheat01JumboWheat01 Member Posts: 1,028
    Yeah, my "good" party runs tend to include just the canon party, because Jaheira is really Neutral Good, gods blast it, she's just stuck with the label of True Neutral.

As for my good party, well... it still always includes Imoen, who has one of the best stat rolls of both games, and unfortunately does not include Minsc, since I don't care for Invokers. Ajantis tends to get thrown in and Neera often pops up as well. Though I have been known to save space for one of the greatest dwarves in the Realms, Yeslick.
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    Goresha said:

And Rasaad, for uber monk damage

Lol! You're not going to see any of that in BG1. (At BG2 levels, yes, monks are much more impressive.)

As for my own choice of Good party ... I've used all of the available characters in various runs.

Hitherto, the character who has most consistently featured in my Good runs has been Imoen (which is probably true for many other people as well). However, now that consistency with the SoD story is better maintained (IMO) by keeping her as a Thief (until she is dual-classed off-screen during SoD) instead of dual-classing her to Mage ourselves, I'll probably not use Imoen quite so regularly in future.

Second most common in my Good parties has been Coran, but he's been there so frequently because I often use him to cover Thief skills during Imoen's dual-classing downtime. Now that I'm not planning to dual-class Imoen as standard, I'll therefore also be using Coran less often in future. Since not dual-classing Imoen will usually mean that I'll also want to squeeze some other Mage into the party when I take Imoen (whereas Imoen would previously have filled both roles), and since I won't split paired characters (in a Good run), Coran looks like he'll quite often be the one for whom there's no longer room (in spite of him being such a strong character), so the reduction in his frequency of use will probably be greater than the reduction in Imoen's use.

So now ... I don't know who my "typical" Good party is, I'm in the middle of re-assessing how I'm going to be playing it in future. The more I think about it, the more it seems that keeping Imoen single-classed for BG1 has all sorts of knock-on effects on assembling a good balanced party.
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975

Though I have been known to save space for one of the greatest dwarves in the Realms, Yeslick.

that statement couldn't be more true even if it tried

• tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985
    It depends on what I choose for charname, of course, but generally I will play a fighter type. Kivan, Branwen, and Imoen are usually with me. I often take Khalid or Minsc, sometimes Safana, sometimes Yeslick, rarely Ajantis or Garrick. My last play through I tried Skie and liked her (too bad she's so late) and Alora is awesome. I haven't tried Dynaheir nor Xan in a while, partly because I just don't think mages are all THAT necessary in BG1.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Charname can vary, usually F/M/T, F/M, or C/R.

I should note that I don't run evil parties, so this is the standard playthrough for me. Jaheaira tanks, Minsc is second line with a reach weapon, Khalid is the ranged death, imoen back up archer, and Dynaheir is my mage.