Skip to content

What is your "perfect" mod setup?

trinittrinit Member Posts: 705
Unfortunately, I don't have time to start a new playthrough now or in the near future, but I've noticed I try to compensate for this by searching for the perfect mod setup, one that will feel like the game is now finally "completed".

It seems this quest came to an end, so allow me to share what I consider to be my perfect mod setup in order of install (it's for bg2 since that is the game I care most about):

1- Quest pack by SimDing0 (mainly the "revised hells trials" component- the more varied approaches to alignment and neutral path in hells trials are a rare opportunity to make alignment really count as a character development tool)

2- Dorn romance expansion by trinit (evil romance option - well, I did this to flesh out romance a bit)

3- Edwin romance by Laufey (neutral romance option - great mod, for personal use I edited the text to make it fit better with the rest of the game)

4- Valygar romance (good romance option - for personal use only- I put this together for various other mods and few additions from myself)

5- Refinements by Littiz, T.G.Maestro and the bigg (the revised HLA abilities add much to the flavour of the classes) big thanks to subtledoctor for updating this mod!

6- Shapeshifter improvements (just edited the claws so they scale better)

7- Ranger spell fix (enables level 4 divine spells for rangers, much like the paladins have. I got the table on this forum, but can't remember which thread it was)

8- A high resolution portrait pack by ikonomov ( essential for any high-res display, for personal use i made a few modifications to some of the portraits)

9- Druid grove makeover by Ulb ( completely agree with the reasons the author stated for making this mod, it even inspired me to make few modifications to the interior of the grove of my own)

10- Will o' wisp by LavaDelVortel (the shamans are a great class and they need their own stronghold. plus, the extra NPC and kit!)

11- IWD GUI for BG2EE by trinit (made this since I dislike original GUIs for BG games)

12- The Wheels of Prophecy by DavidW (this one doesn't want to install on this setup, so it's on hold for now)

This is it. I feel like these mods correct the most flaws regarding content, visual elements, gameplay tweaks etc. Some of the stuff I made myself, simply because no one else did it and I got tired of waiting. I was considering some friendship mods, NPC mods, spell revisions and such, but I'm wary of installing too many mods at the same time.

All the same, I'm really grateful to the amazing and active modding community that made all the great work and even inspired me to make a few thing of my own, as well as beamdog for making the new games much more accessible and improved it mechanically. I just hope the new updates won't break anything :P

Anyway, I think the modding frenzy has left me, now it's just the matter of finding the time to start a new playthrough.

please, share what is your favourite mod setup for what you consider to be a "perfect" bg2, bg1, sod or iwd game :)
Post edited by trinit on

Comments

• CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    From my 2015 BGT install. I'm still using it so it's pretty much perfect I'd dare to say (it has it's issues and as soon as I finish my current runs I'm creating a new one, with the BWP fixpack).
    • BGT
    • SCS
    • Ascension
    • Wheels of Prophecy
    • TobEx, G3 fixpack, whatever else you want to fix all teh bugz
    • Several tweakpacks (G3, the bigg's, BGT's, polytweaks, aTweaks)
    • Ding0's Questpack
    • @Erg 's Silver Staff.
    • IwD bard song from IWDification.
    • @Mortianna 's Wandcase.
    • Divine remix (pre-version 8).
    • Song and Silence
    • RR
    • Oversight
    • Tactics
    • WSR
    • Randomiser
    • Level1npcs
    • 1pp (except paperdoll components. I love the vanilla BG2 ones).
    • BP-BGT Worldmap
    • Thalantyr Item Upgrade
    • Weimer's Item Upgrade
    • NPC Strongholds
    • No low level classed creatures plus additional levels for certain classed creatures (off my own hands)
    • The widescreen mod
    • Song and Silence
    • PnP Celestials
    • Give Sarevok (final BG1 fight) a better weapon
    I also have another install with Item, Spell and Kit Revisions, and a bit less of other mods. IMO Revisions do a wonderful job, but I'd rather have two installs, because they changed too much stuff and I haven't got used to all the changes yet (besides, I also like play non-Revisions, and I still have enough empty space).
  • trinittrinit Member Posts: 705
    @islandking I actually downloaded and scrolled through the images :D it's amazing how many mods there are available
    @CrevsDaak nice! I'm also considering making a full backup of the entire game with mods installed

@subtledoctor I would like to try an extreme (by my standards) setup like yours someday. it seems like it would play like a whole new game. i've been eyeing some of the mods you mention for a long time, especially quest and rule tweak ones :)
  • islandkingislandking Member Posts: 426
    @trinit
    I think it's worth mention that by looking through all mod categories, AI mod are scarce (only 2 I think), mainly due to its programming difficulty and load of work, so be sure to choose one of them.
    Quest mods never hurt.
    Rules tweak mods are many but don't install too many of them or there'll be conflicts.
    Kit mods will have compatibility problems with many mods as most mods are made based on vanilla.
    Do what u like about other mods and be sure to use Big-world-setup to organize all of them.
    @islandking i know it's difficult to find the right balance and BWS seems to be a right tool to balance the mods. someday(tm) i will play bg game with all the rule changing mods i can get to work together! :P
  • StefanOStefanO Member Posts: 346
    edited January 2017
    I don't like the idea of installing everything that can be installed without conflicts. Most of the time I follow a different approach:
    • Define for each party you plan to play an individual (to the party) perfect set of mods.
    • Install only these mods.
    • Save the mod status into a DLC library (using @argent77 's DLC builder)
    • Keep track which save files needs which DLC library.
    • Use only one DLC library at a time.
    @StefanO hmmmm very interesting. i think i will use your approach to make alternative mod compilations for the game. :)