Skip to content

Why I love IWDEE

Shields that self-customize to match a character's color scheme. It's worth losing off-hand attacks and weapon effects by itself. AC and status bonuses are just gravy.

Comments

• GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100
    In BG I never use shields. It's just never worth it. But in IWD I always have at least one person with a shield. Sometimes two.
  • former_customerformer_customer Member Posts: 111
    Grum said:

In BG I never use shields. It's just never worth it. But in IWD I always have at least one person with a shield. Sometimes two.

Wait--two people with shields, or one person with two? There are sone serious defensive and accessory implications with the second one.
  • GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100
    No no, two people with shields. First of all, a dwarven defender with an axe and shield just screams fluff.

On the dwarven defender side...they can get some serious defensive bonuses. Greatshield +3 (15% physical resistance), Glory of Suffering (10% physical resistance, -25hp), Clasp of Bron's Cloak (5% physical resistance), class (5%-20% physical resistance), defensive stance (50% physical resistance)

So with an average 10% physical resistance from class, you are looking at 40% minimum. Jumps up to 90% with defensive stance. Throw in a bard song, and you are walking around with 50% and 100%. That's crazy good. Can tank absolutely anything in the game. Really low AC, combined with that damage resistance? Sure, you lose 25HP, but dwarven defenders get so much anyways. They're heavily armored barbarians. And it's the shield that really puts them over the top.

Next to him get the fighter/cleric. Hammer/Flail/Mace and shield. Goes up to Str19 with a +1 shield, or get him some damage resistance with a second shield that has it if it drops. Boost up with armor of faith and bard song. Dwarven Defender goes in first, followed by the fighter/cleric.

Behind them have a gnome fighter/mage, with a greatsword or greataxe. Reach weapon means he won't be attacked when he's attacking instead of casting.

A dwarven fighter/thief with a returning throwing axe.

Finally behind all of those shorties comes a bard (10% damage resistance!) and a skald (major combat bonuses). Then sit back and watch wave upon wave of enemy break upon your shield wall.

• former_customerformer_customer Member Posts: 111
    And, best of all, the shield wall is beautifully painted to match color scheme.