Skip to content

Playing with Magic- A Baldurs Gate Drabble

KlepticBhaalspawnKlepticBhaalspawn Member Posts: 8
edited January 2017 in Fan Creations
My Bhaalspawns first taste with magic.
My writing capabilities are questionable at best, but this had been in my head for a while now and I've been itching to get it out of my head.
-----------------------------
“Psssst-- Imoen!”
An elven child no older than 12 crept in the small bedroom, closing the door behind her. The bed was occupied by the human girl not much younger than her. Imoen let out a small grumble before turning away from the noise, clutching the sheets closer to her body.
“Hey! Imoen!”
“Mnnnn- Jes’ five mr’ minutes Puffg’ts…”
A soft pout took over the elven lass’ lips before tiptoe-ing her way to the end of the bed. With no hesitation, the elf leapt at the edge of Imoens feet-- The girl yelped as loud as she jumped.
“Shhhhhhh! Yer gonna get us in trouble!” The elf pressed her fingers firmly over Imoens lips.
“Y-yer the one to talk Sanya!” Imoen stammered, recomposing herself after a rather out-of-nowhere awakening. “How’d ya even get in here?”
A mischievous grin curled on Sanya’s lips “One of th’ windows was unlocked.”
“Puffguts’ll have yer hide if he catches you up here, let alone ol’ G--”
Both girls sat straight up when they heard the sound of floorboards creaking towards them. Imoen rapidly ushered Sanya under her bed, covering the floor with whatever sheet she could sacrifice right before a rather large man barged his way in.
“Blast it girl, what are you doing up at this hour?! I told you to go to bed hours ago!”
“S-sorry Puffguts… I uh… I sneezed. Won’t happen again. Honest.”
The older man inhaled deeply. Either he didn’t care at this point or he was just too tired to see through Imoens poor attempts at lying.
“Alright you,” Puffguts grumbled, shaking his head, “You get back on to bed. Ya got a lot of work tomorrow morning.”
“Yup. Okay. Sorry. G’night.”
Imoen let out a deep exhale as the door closed behind him, some color returning to her face. She pulled the sheets from the floor as Sanya scrambled from under the bed.
“Someones been slacking.” Sanya hopped back on the bed, brushing the dust off her tunic. “Yer lucky I didn’ actually sneeze.”
“You try getting a broom under there, why don’t ya.” Imoen slapped Sanyas arm lightly. “What’re doin’ up here anyways?”
Sanyas green eyes lit up the moment Imoen asked. Reaching from inside her sash, she pulled out a crumpled sheet of paper- old looking paper in fact. “Take a look at this!”
“An’ what that s’pposed to be?”
“It’s a spell scroll, dummy!”

Imoens jaw dropped “Nu-uh! Where’d ya get that from?! There’s no way ya got that in the library; them stuffy old monks’d tan yer hide if ya even looked at it funny!”
“Ancient Elven secret.” Sanya teased. Imoen huddled closer, fascinated by the worn red ink incantations on the wrinkled scroll.
“Well? Are ya gonna do it or what?”
“Hold on hold on, lemme figure this out.” Sanya huffed nervously, attempting to sway her hands as she saw her father do so many times before. She took a couple of deep breaths closing her eyes…
“Sanya! Sanya!” Imoen sounded ecstatic-- “This’s so cool! Look! Yer doin’ it!”
The elf opened her eyes, and there it was- a faint, shimmering red glow between her moving hands, Her eyes lit up, a bright smile took over her face. She brought her hands closer together and just like that, The light launched itself across the room. A loud ‘bang’ echoed through the inn the second the red light met contact with the door- almost sending the old wood off its hinges. Both girls yelped- rather loudly this time around.
The color drained from their faces the grumbling of adults began to grow more and more apparent.
“Whats all this racket? Would someone get the innkeeper?!”
“Gods dammit, some of us are trying to sleep!”
“If this is what a peaceful night is here, then by gods get me a refund-- this is absolutely outrageous!”
Sanya tried to hold down the fear clawing its way up her throat. “W-well it worked I guess...?”
Imoen shook her head, she could hear Puffguts trying to settle down his rather unsatisfied customers. “Ooohh, we’re gonna git it now…” She couldn’t help but grin at her friend, however, despite the impending doom that was the return of Puffguts. “That was pretty cool though.”
“... Y-yeah, yeah it was.”