Skip to content

What's Tamoko's patron deity?

Heya!
Guys, what the game shows us is that Tamoko is a priestess, and probably serves a deity that approves Sarevok's actions. Who do you think it is?

Comments

• Abi_DalzimAbi_Dalzim Member Posts: 1,428
    As weird as it is, probably Cyric. Cyric seems to have undergirded a lot of the Iron Throne's plans as it is, and even though he wouldn't approve of somebody else becoming the Lord of Murder, his hands were tied, for one, and for the other, Tamoko never wanted Sarevok to go through with it anyways.
  • islandkingislandking Member Posts: 426
    Not sure, but here's the depictions of her doing in Sarevok's diary from BG1 NPC project:

"29th of Nightal, 1367: Tamoko has displayed surprising skill in demoralizing some of the most resistant Cyricists. The way she slew one of the junior members, and then later quietly re-animated his corpse to attack his sleeping former comrades, was a sheer treat to watch. I was quite surprised that she had the audacity to rouse me directly out of my bed for the latter portion, however. Not that I needed an excuse to leave Cythandria's company: She complains far too much."
  • DrakeICNDrakeICN Member Posts: 623
    I think there is more than 200 deities in DnD. Of course, many of those are beholder gods and the like and she obviously does not worship any good Gods, but even so there is a score of possible gods.

However, given how she enjoys the company of Sarevok and like to create lesser undead, I think one of these three makes the most sense;
    Bane, Shar, Talos

Or, she might have found a way to tap into Bhaals powers. Remember, he is only semi-dead, lurking in his throne of bones, awaiting to be fully resurrected. Dead gods who turn out to be not quite dead, complete with a high-priest worshipper intent on restoring the faiths former glory is a reoccuring theme, so why not?
  • former_customerformer_customer Member Posts: 111
    DrakeICN said:

Or, she might have found a way to tap into Bhaals powers. Remember, he is only semi-dead, lurking in his throne of bones, awaiting to be fully resurrected. Dead gods who turn out to be not quite dead, complete with a high-priest worshipper intent on restoring the faiths former glory is a reoccuring theme, so why not?

That is not dead which may eternal lie,
    And in strange aeons, even Death may die.

DrakeICN said:

Well, there's the fact that other priests of Bhaal like Madele or Nyalee either became powerless or had to turn to other sources of power once he died, so it doesn't seem like Tomoko should be an exception. Hell, I think Melissan had to turn to wizardry to keep herself safe after the Time of Troubles, which is where she got those wizard spells.
  • DrakeICNDrakeICN Member Posts: 623

DrakeICN said:

Well, there's the fact that other priests of Bhaal like Madele or Nyalee either became powerless or had to turn to other sources of power once he died, so it doesn't seem like Tomoko should be an exception. Hell, I think Melissan had to turn to wizardry to keep herself safe after the Time of Troubles, which is where she got those wizard spells.
    Tamoko... uh... found..? ... a horn broken off Bhaals avatar that still contained some of his essence, giving her a special connection to the dead god. Its all written down in the extremly rare BG directors cut manual that only exists as a physical booklet. No pdf, sorry, and I misplaced my copy, so I cant scan it either.
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    Let's analyze the Gods that Sarevok's girlfriend may or may not serve, judging from her aligment.

Auril, Umberlee: Tamoko does not show elemental inclinations whatsoever.

Cyric: Could be, but she did murder a few cyricists, didn't she? She doesn't seem wicked enough for a strifeleader but I would buy the idea that she's cold and cunning.

Talos: I doubt it- talassans are tremendously chaotic and tamoko doesn't have the lunacy to be one.

Talona: No indications whatsoever.

Bhaal: as much as I'd like to believe @DrakeICN , it's a fact that Bhaalists are way more violent than tamoko is, I truly doubt that a real deathstalker would have moral dillemas when aiding the next lord of murder.

Loviatar: Hmm, why not?

Hoar: a servant of retribution would never tell charname to spare sarevok.she'd rather say "go for it!"

I honestly don't know - anybody knows the kara-turian Patheon ?

• KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    DJKajuru said:

anybody knows the kara-turian Patheon ?

The Celestial Bureaucrac of Shou-Lung is the best known pantheon of Kara-Tur:
    • The Celestial Emperor: Kind of like an pompously Ao
    • Kwan Ying: Goddess of compassion, mercy, joy
    • Chan Cheng: God of war, the martial arts, combat, bravery
    • Ch'en Hsiang: God of poetry, music, literature
    • Chih Shih: God of history, lore, tradition
    • Ai Ch'hing: Goddess of love, marriage
    • Fa Kuan: God of justice
    • Hsing Yong: God of fortune, prosperity
    • Shi Chia: God of artificers, the arts
    However, given Tamoko's name, I find it more likely that she hails from either Wa or Kozakura. Not much is known about their gods except that their number is 8 million. Just like in RL's Shinto, that list will be pretty long...

Another possibility could be Koryo. But I have no idea what kind of deities this Korean-like country has.
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    I agree that it's most likely she would worship a deity from her home continent. I've also seen both her and Yoshimo as being from the pseudo-Japanese part of Kara-Tur. To me it is more likely that a Faerunian deity would be less inclined to help a rival return (But I suppose helping Bhaal return would also make for a pretty good basis for an alliance). As such I feel she is probably a cleric of some eastern god but siding with Sarevok on her own volition, and the deity just doesn't prevent her nor does he have any stake in the plot itself.

But if we limit ourselves to the Faerunian pantheon and company for the sakd of discussion then I find Bane (Or his son), Cyric, and Myrkul to be the least likely. All of them desire Bhaal's portfolio for themselves and Cyric is the current holder of it. And Bane and Myrkul are both dead in the timeframe of the game.

The evil nature deities, as someone said above,
    seem unlikely to be interested. Talos might be an exception as he might be interested in creating lots of chaos.

One of the other, minor deities that might be of interest is Garagos, the evil god of battle and war, who might have supported Sarevok because his whole plan of "manipulating a war between BG and Amn for the sole purpose of causing as much death, bloodshed, and suffering as possible" would be right up his alley. He doesn't fit very well with Tamoko's personality, however.

Another is Velsharoon, the deity of Necromancy and Undeath. He would be in opposition to Cyric and there might be an "enemy of my enemy" situation here with Velshie hoping to gain the favour of Bhaal if he aids in his
    resurrection. If Tamoko has a special gift for undeadifying things this would fit her as well. However, Velsharoon is much more of a "wizard deity" than a deity for "just anyone".

I suppose there's also a host of minor and monster deities that might apply, but none that stands out as having any particular interest in this conflict.
  • CahirCahir Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,819
    argent77 said:

She might have been a former Bane cleric or worshipper since she wears the powerful Plate of the Dark which has been apparently made for a Warlord of Bane in the past. As a cleric she wouldn't wear it if she were worshipping an opposing god.

She also refers to Charname as "young one", so she is probably in her thirties or forties, and therefore old enough to have been a priest of Bane in her youth. I don't know which deity she would have turned to after Bane died.

If this would be the case, the natural pick would be Bane's demonic son, Iyachtu Xvim. IIRC the essence of dead Bane was transferred to his son and brought him back from the dead during Zhentil Keep's fall, making him a demigod in the process.
    Like I said earlier, Cyric's desire to remain Lord of Murder himself isn't evidence against Tomoko being a Priest of his, since she didn't want Sarevok to ascend. Even more importantly, Sarevok's plan was always predicated on a gross misinterpretation of Alaundo's prophecy - he read "their deaths shall feed the father" as deaths caused by Bhaalspawn, when it was actually just the death of Bhaalspawn themselves - he was never gonna become Lord of Murder that way, and Cyric would know that, so no need to see him as a threat.
  • levelwormlevelworm Member Posts: 41
    Probably just Sarevok Anchev himself, at least toward the end of the game. Sarevok managed to find peace eventually and buried her body. Actually, it would be nice to make a Sarevok Chronicles.