Skip to content

Against all odds (Tymora be praised, or be damned !!)

I decided to create this thread so you can tell about the time you were REALLY lucky or unlucky, that time when, even though all odds were stacked one way, something else happened. Be it a total WIN or total FAIL, please, do tell us what Tymora made you go through, for the best or for the worst...

I will obviously start.

TYMORA BE DAMNED : I once lost a no-reload sorcerer to a phase spider in Candlekeep catacomb. Not really unlucky, you say. Well, I was actually fully buffed for the Prat fight : Shield, Mirror Image, Improved Invisibility, Stoneskin, etc... you get the point. So, the only way the phase spider could hit me was with a critical. That critical also went through all Images and I then failed my saving throw. Granted, sorcerer don't have great saving throw vs poison, but these are buffed up by Improved Invisibility, so a chance at saving is possible. Just drink a antidote you say. Well, I just had used a spell, a mere magic missile to help my front liner - who actually dispatched these spiders in no time - so my aura was clouded. In SCS, the poison is nasty : it drained my Charname's health real fast and couldn't do anything (this one was on me though, not on Tymora). I paused to see my options, but my cleric didn't had Remove poison learned... Who needs Remove Poison when you have a ton of antidotes ? Now I know... I unpaused, only to see that dreaded Reload screen appear.

I never took the time to calculate the odds of that happening, but they are at least less then 1%. That's some real unlucky stuff...

TYMORA BE PRAISED : Killing a Vampire Wolf with a level 1 party with no enchanted weapon. I crossed the dreaded beast in the second area under Beregost (before arriving to Nashkel), after killing the hobgoblins in the ambush. When the beast appeared, I decided to try my luck. I then went on to kite it : the wolf followed my Charname while Imoen was emptying the wand of Magic Missile on it (I play with IR, so wand of MM actually has three missiles, not only one). After emptying the wand, the wolf was at Near Death, but not dead... Having no other options, I decided to flee, when the group crossed a few kobolds. My team took them down only to find a scroll of Burning Hands in the loot. Khalid took it (he was a fighter/mage in this install), and casted it in front of him. At the exact time the spell was cast, I passed right in front of him, the dreaded beast still following me. The fire took it down and I was unscathed. 2000 xp for that weak, weak group. Not only did I managed to find a scroll to finished it off, but the wolf was not able to touch me once; it was able to land one or two attack againt me, but missed. If wolf managed to land only one hit, it would have healed itself, making it impossible to kill, even with the Burning Hands scroll. Tymora be praised !!

Now, your turn.
Skarosesarevok57ArdulAerakarJuliusBorisovMantis37

Comments

• ArctodusArctodus Member Posts: 992
    edited January 2017
    Damn !! That's a lot of chunking !!
    chimaera said:

@Arctodus
    I think the current version of poison (unless it got fixed in the meantime) gets applied on a successful hit, regardless whether it was the mage or a mirror image that got hit, or a stoneskin.

Well, I knew poison bypassed Stoneskin, but didn't that it bypassed Mirror Image. That's good to know. Even though applying poison through images doesn't make sense, I feel a little better about my lost sorcerer; he wasn't as unlucky as I thought.
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147
    Using SCS.
    I went to the Planer Prison to rescue HD, usual fight at he entrance and as everybody knows, lots of goodies to pick up.
    Which takes time.
    Meanwhile, kept hearing this noise and text appearing.
    Everything, Thralls, Master of Thralls, Wyven, Umber Hulks were getting caught by the trap on the way to the cell HD and the others were being held in.
    The place was deserted except for the Cambion.
    ArctodusSkarose
  • SirBatinceSirBatince Member Posts: 882
    Traps being activated by enemies create so much atmosphere it's outrageous there are only a mere handful that do so in the games.
    CrevsDaak
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    TYMORA BE PRAISED:I don't remember who or what I was fighting. My wild mage casted a disintegrate spell. It surged. Roll more times! Net result:area effect+no save disintegrate! It was lucky the area effect had none of my party members. Not so lucky for the enemies.
    ArctodusDJKajuruCrevsDaaksarevok57
  • SkandiiSkandii Member Posts: 17
    BG1 Sarevok fight:
    I didn't think it was possible but in my last encounter with him, the web traps went off and most of my party was ensnared. Dynaheir and my fighter/cleric are free. Sarevok stomps over and is promptly ensnared. Then he was splattered with my warhammer.

BG2 Firkraag fight:
    After a couple of lower magic resistance spells, Aerie casts feeblemind on Firkraag and it sticks! I sat there laughing like a madwoman while my party beat him to death.
    ArctodusCrevsDaakSkarose