Skip to content

Cernd, Edwin & Valygar - unused Thief specific voice clips

I discovered this a while back (and I'm sure pretty much everyone who has dabbled with Near Infinity has too) but it always BAFFLED me, why would a Druid, a Mage and a Ranger have Thief specific voice clips - pickpocket, stealth and snares (obviously the Ranger has stealth). Here are some screenshots of their dialogue lines in the Near Infinity programme:

Cernd:
Photobucket

Edwin:
Photobucket

Valygar:
Photobucket

The mind BOGGLES.

Comments

• ElzarathElzarath Member Posts: 173
    Maybe they recorded all lines before deciding character class? Except that doesn't work with Edwin.. logic fail. Whatever the case, these lines are pretty cool and definitely in character
  • KirkorKirkor Member Posts: 700
    Dualclassing?
    Or they just made this in case of some weird mods.
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    My theory: Edwin, Cendt and Valygar are *technically* able to dual class into any other class it is possible to dual into, since it is possible to boost stats infinitely, by playing through bg1 multiple times and picking up a bunch of stat tomes - thus meeting the prerequisite for dualling into anything - thus the sound files must exist.
    I bet this doesn't happen for any of the non human npcs, right?
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    Well, it still isn't technically possible for rangers or druids to dual into thieves, no matter their stats.
  • JaxsbudgieJaxsbudgie Member Posts: 600
    I guess at a push there was perhaps something planned in the way of Edwin working for the Thieves Guild but I ... I'm drawing a blank.
    Maybe they recorded these three voice sets whilst contemplating on switching from 2nd edition to 3rd edition then after decided against it?
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    edited November 2012
    It may have been a general directive to write and subsequently record certain lines for every character, that never got questioned. I would imagine that in game development it's not always the case that one hand knows what all the other hands are doing.
    To be fair, the valygar ones are not even surprising, since rangers can hide in shadows and cast spells anyway, and since he is a bounty hunter he can set traps too.
    ajwz said:

To be fair, the valygar ones are not even surprising, since rangers can hide in shadows and cast spells anyway, and since he is a bounty hunter he can set traps too.

He's a Stalker isn't he? Can Stalker's lay traps too?

edited November 2012

ajwz said:

He's a Stalker isn't he? Can Stalker's lay traps too?

Whoops, yup my bad. *facepalm*
    Shin said:

It may have been a general directive to write and subsequently record certain lines for every character, that never got questioned. I would imagine that in game development it's not always the case that one hand knows what all the other hands are doing.

I do wonder if every other NPC had similar lines voice acted ...
  • CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    You know, voice acting is expensive. It costs a lot of money to rent a recording booth and all. The only thing more expensive is having to rent it AGAIN because something came up. It's probably cheaper to hedge your bets and record some extra lines the first time.
    CaptRory said:

You know, voice acting is expensive. It costs a lot of money to rent a recording booth and all. The only thing more expensive is having to rent it AGAIN because something came up. It's probably cheaper to hedge your bets and record some extra lines the first time.

But why? It's not as if they were covering their backs incase they decided Cernd should be a Thief instead, his additional lines are very Druid-y. I bet 3rd edition had something to do with it!
  • CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    And Xan was supposed to be a warrior at some point. Things come up, things change, you're better off preparing for the unlikely.