Skip to content

BG:EE, BGII and 'trilogy mods'

Hi all,

I just pre-purchased BG:EE and am very happy about it. I've played only BGII + ToB and I can honestly say that this is my favorite game of all times. There are few other games that I can say are my favorite as well but as a whole this one captured me on so many levels back then that it isn't comparable to any of the others. Even after all these years, when I think back I remember so much awesome moments from the story, epic battles I had and so on, which bring back feelings and memories, which only a really really really good book has ever done to me. So deep and captivating.

Anyway, enough with that.

Few months ago when I was tired of all the games nowadays and their mediocrity I had an epiphany - instead of waiting/searching for The Game of today and wasting time I could replay BG!!!! How excited I was. How hand't I thought of that before.

As soon as I started googling about the game I found about the various mods out there and couldn't believe people were still playing this game! They even fix bugs the developers haven't fixed on game release or with the expansion. After a day of research I found out that one of the mods were trying to 'enhance' the game with bug fixes and so on, while, most importantly, staying true to the original - just what I needed, I didn't want to play a completely different modded game, having nothing to do with the original, I wanted a true BG experience. Even more I would start from the beginning and play it till the end as one coherent game/story.

Around the same time I was doing my research I found out about baldursgate.com and saw that something was coming. Excitement, excitement, excitement. So I stopped just after installing the trilogy mod and setting up the enhancements. (Everything is still on my HDD with shortcuts on the desktop...)

Which brings me to my point :) (Sorry for the long introduction.)

I can't wait to play BG:EE. However I am somehow confused. Will you be enhancing (fixing bugs, adding small new improvements) to BGII and ToB? Do you plan to really make what the BG saga is all about - one coherent gameplay experience with awesome story and depth of character? Why wouldn't I play the trilogy mod (the one that is closest to the original, CtO for short) instead of the EE - the former is also in quite a good shape? Is your work very different from the CtO mod or did you fix/improved the same or a subset of the things but staying as true as possible to your original vision of the game?

I'm asking all that because what I really want is the true, pure essence of the gameplay, with which Baldur's Gate II captured me 10 years ago. How will I get that from the source (you)? Will I, ever? (I guess this is also the thing many of the people here would want as well.)

Thanks for reading :)

S.