Skip to content

How do you add animations/ change the color palettes of monsters?

sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
so im doing some modding in my icewind dale game, and I want to make a new animation/different color for the orc shaman whatever would be easier is fine

first of all, I noticed that even if I use EE keeper it doesn't change the color of the shaman, and with NI I can go into the bam files, but by the looks of it, I would have to do EVERY single bam and manually adjust every single color index and that would just take eons, especially since I cant even save the color index anyway ( which I find odd)

so if there is a way to be able to change colors of current animations that would be great

then second, if for some odd reason the above is impossible, I imported all the iwd 2 undead shaman bams( im going to assume that what it is, and for some reason the default IWDEE undead shaman doesn't work, it makes the creature look like a myconoid) and they all work in NI for IWD, but for the life of me I cant figure out how to attach creature animations to the bam files, if this could be done that would be great as well

so if either 2 of these can be done please let me know, thanks :)

Comments

• argent77argent77 Member Posts: 3,431
    There are a few opcodes for altering creature colors. Look for opcodes 7, 8, 51 and 52.

Second option is defining a replacement palette for the creature animation in its associated INI file. But support for replacement palettes depends on the creature type.

Failing all that you have probably no choice but to replace the palette for all BAM files of the creature animation. NI's BAM Converter offers a filter to do it without too much work.

Installing new creature animations is also not trivial. Many animation slots are hardcoded or reserved, so you have to find a slot range that works and is still available. I published a WeiDU function to help finding free slots not too long ago.
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    I actually figured out how to import creature animations without breaking a sweat ( or least when I finally figured it out) luckily if you want to use the IWD 2 animations, half the work has been done, all you have to do now is import the .BAMS into the override and add some lines of code to some .ids/.2da files, and it's a sinch

but I don't know what sorcery would be involved in importing something outside of IWD 2, so no dice there, but oh well, IWD 2 still has some neat creatures that I can bring in if need be