Skip to content

BG:EE Steam v. 2.x Crashes Windows 7?

BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
edited February 2017 in Troubleshooting
I recently had my computer cease to be compatible with my television through hdmi. I suspect some kind of WIndows update or graphics driver update caused the problem. I couldn't troubleshoot anything because I had no display.

Long story short, I've had to revert to my old Windows 7 computer. It used to run the older versions of BG:EE (blue interface) just fine, but now the computer crashes (hard lock, must force reboot by unplugging the computer) after a few seconds in Candlekeep. The game starts, lets me create a character, but then crashes within a few seconds of walking around in the game.

Is this a known problem? Did SoD and v. 2.x mean that Beamdog no longer supports Windows 7?

I'm uploading a copy of the dxdiag text file for the system.

Comments

• BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    One other bit of info might be helpful. I did not purchase SoD from Steam. I purchased it through the Beamdog client, directly from Beamdog. The default Steam download is the SoD version of BG1, with the black interface, and the game menu has SoD on it, to start a new game of SoD. Could that be the problem?
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited February 2017
    Windows 7 is still supported.

I'd try starting BGEE up and then (under graphics options) switching to the alternate renderer (then restarting).

Also go to ATI's website and make sure you have the latest version of your drivers (so don't just update them using windows update).
    JuliusBorisov
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    edited February 2017
    @elminster , Thank you, turning on alternate rendering seems to have done the trick. I notice the combat music bug is still there - it wouldn't stop playing after Reevor's rats without a reload.

Also, I misremembered buying SoD from Beamdog - I downloaded the Beamdog client, and SoD wasn't there. I must have bought it on Steam, although my library just says "Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition", and doesn't say SoD.

Now I would appreciate if someone could give me a script in an .exe file to map mouse scroll wheel functions to + and - on the keyboard, because I can't zoom in or out without one. (I use a trackball mouse.) Someone on the forums wrote me one when the game was first released, but it's buried in the archives and I can't find it.

EDIT: Never mind, I just reworded a Google search and found an old thread indicating that Beamdog fixed the keyboard zoom problem somewhere during the history of updating. The keyboard zoom function is now mapped to the top row + and - keys by default, and I can do it. So I think my problems are solved, and I'm good to go. Thanks again.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited February 2017
    I must have bought it on Steam, although my library just says "Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition", and doesn't say SoD.

Steam puts SoD as DLC. So if you check in your library it will appear under DLC (right click BGEE in your library and then click "View Downloadable Content")
    BelgarathMTHJuliusBorisov