Skip to content

Another Kensage Question Post (but hear me out, please!)

raelcariraelcari Member Posts: 133
edited February 2017 in New Players (NO SPOILERS!)
Hi, I'm currently running through BG:EE again with a pre-generated party for the sole purpose of playing SoD. I have made a kensai AND a berserker, which are both going to be dual-classed into Fighter/Magi (although not at the same time).

Now as for the inquiry of dualling my Kensai at level 6, I have to resurrect an old post:
Abel said:

The main reason you would want to dual-class it would be to obtain Grand Mastery (5 points) in a weapon proficiency. The trick is to dual-class from Fighter at level 6 minimum having reached High Mastery (4 points). When your Mage get his 5th level, do not level up until you actually get enough experience for 7th level. Then, you regain your Fighter abilities and can spend the hard earned point for Grand Mastery.

Does this actually work?

edited because there were spoilers

Comments

• ChidojuanChidojuan Member Posts: 211
    I'm 99% sure that this won't work because of class restrictions. Mages can only become proficient. So, as a character dual classed to a mage, you would not be able to add a proficiency point to a weapon with which you've already attained High Mastery. I could be wrong, but I seem to remember running into this with Anomen in SoA.
  • raelcariraelcari Member Posts: 133
    Anomen comes to my mind as well, but then again he has already regained his fighter class (which he dualled away from painfully early, according to my recollection). In the meantime, I have decided to try this out for myself.
  • StummvonBordwehrStummvonBordwehr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,356
    Either way I would wait until you reach level 7. You gain + 0,5 apr at level 7 (and again at level 13). Level 9 also works well because of more HP and damage/attack bonus.

This is why most dual the kensai at level 7, 9 or 13.
  • KuronaKurona Member Posts: 881
    Pretty sure it does work, and this is why @subtledoctor had to make a mod to disable it since it's really an exploit (you're really not supposed to be able to keep advancing in weapon mastery once you aren't a Fighter anymore).
  • ArunsunArunsun Member Posts: 1,592
    edited August 2017
    You may invest proficiency points up to grandmastery both pre-dualling, and post-recovering your abilities.
    However, during the downtime, you won't be able to get beyond proficiency, and will only be able to equip/become proficient with weapons allowed to the mage, i.e. staves daggers darts and sling.

Once you recovered your fighter abilities, you can equip any weapon a fighter can equip and become grandmaster with any weapon. Keep in mind, however, that you will still gain proficiency points slowly, as a mage (once every 6 mage levels, and mages level slowly on top of that).