Skip to content

Mind Shield

Is there a complete list of effects Mind Shield protects from?

I have just noticed it does not protect from Rigid Thinking spell. Is this as intended?

Comments

• BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    edited November 2012
    Are you talking about paladin kit immunities to charm and hold? Paladin immunities in fact do not protect against Rigid Thinking. I've lost many a battle to Rigid Thinking spells. Even though the spell description says "enchantment/charm", the game doesn't count it under charm immunities. There is no defense against it other than a Potion of Clarity or a Chaotic Commands spell, which you likely won't get in BG1, or a charge from the Greenstone Amulet.

The best thing you can do is identify the enemy clerics and try to concentrate all your fire on them first. Silence and Web spells to disable are a good tactic. If any enemy cleric gets a Rigid Thinking spell cast, you're in a save-or-die situation with the spell's target.

EDIT: What the game looks at is "states". The paladin "mind shield" protects against "charmed", "dire charmed", and "held". It does not protect against "rigid thinking", "confused", or "stunned".
  • MungriMungri Member Posts: 1,645
    Another issue that can be easily handled by turning into a mustard jelly.
  • CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    Mungri said:

Another issue that can be easily handled by turning into a mustard jelly.

That's your answer to everything! Just wait til I roll out my legion of Peanut Butter and Ketchup Golems!
    edited November 2012
    Not to everything, just to everything that casts dangerous spells :)

Im craving to play through the whole series again, but am waiting until the EEs are released so I dont ruin my appetite.
    CaptRory said:

That's your answer to everything! Just wait til I roll out my legion of Peanut Butter and Ketchup Golems!

Triple lower resistance inside a spell trigger > Disintegrate. Bye bye golems :) (Golems dont drop loot, and disintegrate nicely).
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,316
    Do you mean like "mind shield" that you get when swallowing a potion that boosts your intelligence? I would not put much faith in that doing much of anything. Stick with what Mungri is say...its jelly time.
  • gunmangunman Member Posts: 215
    edited November 2012
    What has the mustard jelly to do with the original question? :)
    So am I to understand that Mind Shield is a generic symbol that is displayed for different effects?
    In my particular case, it appears when you equip the helmet of charm protection in BGT + Unfinished Business.
    edited November 2012
    There are some potions of magic blocking that make you completely immune to all magical effects, but they are rare and you need to save them for the most strongest fights, like Aec'Letec. I think his death gaze bypasses the jellys MR.

I couldnt believe how easily that thing fell with a potion of magic blocking, potion of heroism, oil of speed and staff of striking ... BG will never be challenging again :(
    edited November 2012
    Mustard Jelly's have a high amount of magic resistance. I don't play BGT so I have no idea as I'm used to it just saying "charm protection". Are you having this an issue in the BG1 portion or the BG2 portion of the game?

Edit: Nevermind I guess if you are facing rigid thinking it would be the BG2 part.
    edited November 2012
    Hmm, the mustard jelly unfortunately can be too weak to kill things in BG2, even if it can tank Kangaxx and any other caster. Im sure that Clerics get buffs at around level 5-6 spells that make you immune to mind affecting spells, I remember using that against the mind flayers.

Also if you have a full group, your polymorphed mages may survive, but the rest might not.
    I believe the spell you are thinking of is chaotic commands.
    No, I'm in the BG1 part with BGT and several add-ons, such as UB and BGSpawn.

And I'm not looking for solutions to win some fights, I just wanted to know what the Mind Shield symbol means when it appears over the protrait and in character sheet.

It protects you from confusion, charm, feeblemind and mind flayers according to a quick google search, but I have no idea if it affects anything else as thats all that I can find listed.

And yea, chaotic commands also protects you from lots of stuff, very nice spell to use against such stuff, but it wont be available in BG1. What part of the game are you finding Rigid Thinking being used on you? Maybe someone could investigate it in their playthrough if they know what part of the game you are asking about.
    It was in the enemy party that attacks you in the Gullykin area. One of their casters managed to sucessfuly cast a Rigid Thinking on Ajantis. But that didn't help them much because they were soon all dead.
    Meh, I wouldnt worry about it too much then if its just a trash mob.
    edited November 2012
    Woops, for whatever reason I was thinking rigid thinking was a level 5 spell (hence my thinking you were in bg2).

Umm... I guess "mind shield" is just a generic description that doesn't say anything really beyond saying that you are protected to some degree by mind affecting spells. The helmet of charm protection doesn't actually protect from rigid thinking, just charming.
  • MechaliburMechalibur Member Posts: 265
    edited November 2012
    It looks like Mind Shield (the buff, regardless of source) protects against domination and charm. Not confusion, not fear, not rigid thinking, and not even psionic domination. It didn't end up being nearly as helpful as I thought it would :/

Edit: Probably not on Feeblemind either, but I need to test that.
    edited November 2012
    @gunman, that "mind shield" symbol is a generic symbol that comes up. It's permanently on the portrait of any paladin kit character (in some installation setups), and it appears when the helm of charm protection is equipped. If I recall correctly, it also appears on a character holding Lilarcor.

It is indeed a fairly useless symbol that does not tell you exactly which states you are protected from. On paladins, the exact assortment of state immunities depends on the paladin kit. On Lilarcor, it adds protection from "confused".

You really have to just look carefully at what the item or kit says. Protection from "charm" means only charm and domination, like @Mechalibur said.

There are no items or kits that provide immunity to "rigid thinking", unless you count the potion of clarity, and I haven't actually tested the potion to be sure about that.
  • MechaliburMechalibur Member Posts: 265
    Okay, so the symbols don't always give the same protection. That would actually explain a few things, thanks.

I still think an item that says "Protection from Domination" should protect from "Psionic Domination." :/
    BTW, if you have Shadowkeeper installed, you can bring up the character file and go to the State Flags tab. There are codes in there that tell you exactly what states the character is currently protected from.

I figured it out once with some heavy-duty messing around in the one of my character files, but that was a long time ago. The bottom line is, I am not enough of an expert at the game scripting codes to do anything with them or describe them well. However, a person with the right coding knowledge can go into Shadowkeeper and give their characters permanent immunities if they want to.
  • AHFAHF Member Posts: 1,376
    This seems the right thread for this. Anyone know what the "permanent" mind shield you can get from the Deck of Many Things protects against? (Anyone know why it isn't actually permanent?)