Skip to content

Complexities of Alignment

ARKdeEREHARKdeEREH Member Posts: 531
edited November 2012 in Off-Topic
In real life there are complexities to people's personalities that don't always translate well into Baldur's Gate alignments.

My question is what the alignment should be for characters that are very protective of citizens of their own country and other people positively associated with their country, but have no limits whatsoever in what they might do to people who they perceive as a threat to those they protect.

In the past I have classified them as chaotic evil, but now I am uncertain. In my BG games I almost always make PCs that are based on characters in a novel I am writing, that I then roleplay in BG, so the two characters I am asking about are from that story.

I can get into more detail if anyone wants me to, but in brief summary they are a king and a general that are revered as their nation's protectors and would never do anything to harm anyone within their own society. If one of their citizens is imprisoned by another country, even if that person is guilty they will invade and annihilate the people who dared to imprison their citizen. When outsiders threaten their country, they torture them literally forever as punishment. They are firm believers in 'an eye for an eye' philosophy and as a result offenders, within their country, suffer the same pain as their victims, forever. They are also loved and respected by almost everyone in their country and have the genuine loyalty of trillions.

Edit: Oh, and I forgot to mention, that the king and the general are married to each other and would do literally anything for the other. Indeed, when the king dies the general wears a gauntlet containing his soul for 100 trillion years so they can be together forever, before his eventual resurrection. While the king is dead, the general lives in secret and protects the king's descendants who continue to rule the country. This is part of what clouds the alignment issue since they genuinely love each other and go to great lengths to protect and help the other.
Post edited by ARKdeEREH on

Comments

• LordsDarkKnight185LordsDarkKnight185 Member Posts: 615
    True Neutral = Selfish bastards.

Reminds me of the Xenophobic sun elves from Cormanthyr way back when.
  • Arabus13Arabus13 Member Posts: 102
    I would say, that within your context, they are probably Lawful Neutral.

http://easydamus.com/lawfulneutral.html

Those of this alignment view regulation as all-important, taking a middle ground betwixt evil and good. This is because the ultimate harmony of the world--and the whole universe--is considered by lawful neutral creatures to have its sole hope rest upon law and order. Evil or good are immaterial beside the determined purpose of bringing all to predictability and regulation. It is the view of this alignment that law and order give purpose and meaning to everything. Without regimentation and strict definition, there would be no purpose in the cosmos. Therefore, whether a law is good or evil is of no import as long as it brings order and meaning. (1)

Lawful neutral beings believe in a strong, well-ordered government, whether that government is a tyranny or benevolent democracy. The benefits of organization and regimentation outweigh any moral questions raised by their actions. Lawful neutral beings will uphold the law regardless of whether it is considered just or not. If the majority of the population disagrees with the practices of the government, then they must use legal means of getting those laws changed. Rebellion is a crime regardless of the purpose behind revolt. In their day-to-day affairs, lawful neutrals will adhere to the laws of the area they are in, and will also maintain their own sense of honor. (2)

They are respectful to both their leaders and their peers. Subordinates will be treated as is due their station within society. Written contracts and verbal agreements will be honored by these characters. They will not break their word or a contract unless there is a legal way to do so. Lawful neutral beings are concerned with the letter of the law, but rarely the spirit. These characters also respect the idea of station in life. They will act as they should, given their station.

The lawful neutral being normally sees law and order as of prime importance, with the well-being of the group put ahead of the individual on almost every occasion. Such persons see good and evil as immaterial and unimportant in the structuring of the universe into perfect order and harmony, in which lies society's only hope for survival. Whether a law is good or evil is of no import as long as it brings order and meaning. Thus, personal gratification of needs and desires is well and fine, as long as this doesn't interfere with the ultimate ordering of the cosmos; all other considerations are secondary. Life, to the lawful neutral being, has no meaning without order, and is thus expendable when faced with the choice between it and harmony. (3)

A lawful neutral character will keep his word if he gives it and will never lie. He may attack an unarmed foe if he feels it necessary. He will never harm an innocent. He may use torture to extract information, but never for pleasure. He will never kill for pleasure, only in self-defense or in the defense of others. A lawful neutral character may use poison as long as poison use is not illegal. He will help those in need only to advance the social order. He prefers to work with others. He responds well to higher authority, is trustful of organizations, and will always follow the law. He will never betray a family member, comrade, or friend. Lawful neutral characters respect the concepts of self-discipline and honor. (4)

Here are some possible adjectives describing lawful neutral characters: reliable, responsible, truthful, orderly, loyal, respectful of authority, regular, structured, rigid, neat, methodical, and precise.

Well known lawful neutral characters from film or literature include: Judge Dredd (Comics), Sergeant Friday (Dragnet television show), Percy Weasley (Harry Potter), and Cornelius Fudge (Harry Potter).
  • ARKdeEREHARKdeEREH Member Posts: 531
    I hadn't considered lawful neutral before, but most of what you said actually applies fairly well. Thanks!
  • MortiannaMortianna Member Posts: 1,356
    edited November 2012
    I could also see these characters as being Lawful Evil if they would be willing to "invade and annihilate" those who imprisoned one of their citizens, especially if they would torture belligerent outsiders "literally forever" as punishment. Lawful Neutral characters would be less likely to invade a country to "rescue" one of their own citizens if that citizen is guilty of violating that country's laws. And torturing someone forever would serve no purpose for Lawful Neutral characters. If they're going to employ methods of torture, it will be for the sake of something else--usually for gathering information. Torturing someone forever is torture for the sake of it--something that only an evil being would seek to do.
    Post edited by Mortianna on
    edited November 2012
    Mortianna said:

Torturing someone forever is torture for the sake of it--something that only an evil being would seek to do.

It's torture as a deterrent to discourage violent crime, since they only experience the same pain as their victims.

But, yes, I've thought they were probably evil-aligned for a long time. Right now I'm reconsidering since they aren't evil within their own cultural-social context.
    edited November 2012
    The reason I didn't choose the Lawful Evil route was because of the description - "They are also loved and respected by almost everyone in their country and have the genuine loyalty of trillions. " To me that just doesn't say "EBIL"!

A Lawful Evil ruler would be more akin to Vlad Tepes, who basically ruled via fear - "Vlad was generally known as a fierce and honest leader. Vlad was said to have been so confident that no thief would dare challenge him knowing they would be brutally killed that he placed a golden cup on display in the central square of Tirgoviste. The cup was never stolen and remained where it was untouched throughout Vlad's reign."

Again, just my opinion.
  • sandmanCCLsandmanCCL Member Posts: 1,389
    This is why I think the alignment system is and always will be inherently stupid, and the antithesis of true RP.

People and their motivations are too complex to lump into 9 different categories. Write your story first, let overzealous fans who feel like everything needs to be lumped into an alignment category classify it for you post-publication.
  • ZafiroZafiro Member Posts: 436
    edited November 2012
    Vlad Țepeș was far from Lawful Evil; we should understand the political context of those times. Just saying.
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    The alignment system works fine on a basic level;
    orcs want to smash and destroy and plunder, caring nothing for order or rules -> Chaotic Evil
    Dwarves have a highly regimented society that does its best to provide welfare for all, and are quick to lend aid to anyone who needs it -> Lawful Good
    Druids care only about the cycle of nature and try to absolve themselves from any moral or ethical problems, following only nature's rules of survival of the fittest -> Neutral

When you get closer up though, indiviuals are usually made up of way too many contradictions to be set into one alignment. I've had a girlfriend who quickly turned out to be a horrible person, using threats and blackmail to get what she wanted, isolating me from everyone while draining my bank account and threatening to destroy my things or call the police on me for an assault she'd inflict on herself if I protested. We broke up, from what I hear she now doing the same to some other idiot.
    However, she was caring and loving to her little brother, donated money to charities, helped customers in her work as servicedesker beyond what was required, helped out her neighbour from a few houses down when she was kicked out by her husband by providing her with shelter and safety. Moments of good, moments of evil.

It works as a quick guideline for a character or monster, but Real Life is often trickier. When I use it, I usually use it as a "He tries to act like" guideline for a character, making Alignment not something someone is, but something someone wants to be.
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    I'd agree lawful evil. Just because they justify intentions to themselves, the willingness to go into atrocity land = evil.

This is essentially the Drow way - the outlook (above) is consistent with Drow society. Yes, these leaders protect 'their own', and they arbitrarily decide who qualifies as their own, and who doesn't. Anyway, LE seems the best fit for them.
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    I immediately thought Lawful Evil as well.
  • NWN_babaYagaNWN_babaYaga Member Posts: 732
    edited November 2012
    The perception of persons or groups Alignment based on historical events changes with the time and who judges their action. That someone mentioned vlad Tepes, he was one of many knights in the line of crusaders many christians may have judged as lawfull good in his actions. Realy depends on what side you stand, what time you live in and what actions you think are moraly right/ good. To me evil and good are just changing places. Death can mean something good even for highly fanatical christians these days....

But i like the D&D system, it´s relatively easy to get if you dont think to deep about it;)
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300

The perception of persons or groups Alignment based on historical events changes with the time and who judges their action. That someone mentioned vlad Tepes, he was one of many knights in the line of crusaders many christians may have judged as lawfull good in his actions. Realy depends on what side you stand, what time you live in and what actions you think are moraly right/ good. To me evil and good are just changing places. Death can mean something good even for highly fanatical christians these days....

But i like the D&D system, it´s relatively easy to get if you dont think to deep about it;)

That's why I prefer to summarize it all like this:

Good - Will defend others
    Neutral - Will do what has to be done according to the situation
    Evil - Will sacrifice others

• recklessheartrecklessheart Member Posts: 692
    D&D morality systems works if you don't consider it /too/ heavily. Over-definition is too restricting and it means you can't create the characters you want to create.

IRL, frankly, you can't actually be a proper Chaotic person. You'd be in jail. Everybody is innately Lawful, as everybody (most people) follow the Law.

IRL, frankly, you can't actually be a proper Chaotic person. You'd be in jail. Everybody is innately Lawful, as everybody (most people) follow the Law.

But, what if you are an absolute monarch? Your word is law, so anything can be legal because you say it is. Would that person be lawful because their will IS the law of the land. Or would they be chaotic since they do things that are not considered lawful in countries that do not have that system?

D&D morality systems works if you don't consider it /too/ heavily. Over-definition is too restricting and it means you can't create the characters you want to create.

Except that most people also break the law on a daily basis. We drive over the speed limit, jaywalk, litter, etc. But I agree, the D&D alignment system is meant to serve as a general guide (an in-game guide). It's meant to be taken with a grain of salt as everyone views "the law" slightly different.
  • netlichnetlich Member Posts: 6
    ARKdeEREH said:

But, what if you are an absolute monarch? Your word is law, so anything can be legal because you say it is. Would that person be lawful because their will IS the law of the land. Or would they be chaotic since they do things that are not considered lawful in countries that do not have that system?

I would classify the monarch Chaotic in this case as they do not adhere to any law but change to their whim. To me it is more Personal Choices rather than Kingdom behaviour or choices.

Law vs Chaos is whether you personally adhere to a set of laws (be their personal, religious or kindgom)

Good vs Evil is then easier on a personal level - as it has been described before.

So in the original question I see definitely evil in their actions (the reason does not always justify the means)
    And I would go for Lawful with some Neutral Tendencies - because they would easily change their beliefs to protect themselves (say something occurs inside their kingdom that does threaten their love - maybe someone accuses one of the couple rightfully and motions for their banishment)
    edited November 2012
    ARKdeEREH said:

A Chaotic King would probably abandon most laws and allow people to choose for themselves. In the case of a Chaotic Evil King, have the only rule be "Serve or die", abolishing all other laws since the wellfare of his people doesn't concern him and he won't care if murder and theft run rampant as long as his needs are met.
    A Chaotic Good king might leave the laws up to local magistrates or judges who can improvise laws with each case and their wisdom is trusted to do so. People are generally expected to just be nice to eachother instead of having to follow strict rules. (note: this usually only works in chaotic GOOD societies where generally everyone wants the best for eachother. Since ours is in my opinion firmly neutral, this scenario would descend into anarchy and riots pretty quick)

Alternatively, the king might change laws on a daily basis to suit whichever situation he feels is best served, or have very mallable laws that are open to interpretation ("Thieves must repay whatever they stole in whatever way they can"), or believe that since he is king, he is above the law and thus does whatever he wants despite the laws he might have written himself (and still count for the populace).
    Chaotic people (regardless of morality) are generally about freedom so whatever the outcome is, the baseline is "He won't care overly much about the law, whatever the laws are" because that inhibits his freedom.

A lawful king would make up laws and stick by them, using them for peace and order among his people. The system might not always work, but it's designed to be the best way for the majority of people.
    A good king uses this system for the betterment and prosperity of his people, returning the profits of the system to the people to improve their wellfare and happiness, an Evil king would use this system for the betterment and prosperity of himself.
    Example; Most dictators vs the image most western leaders attempt to promote.

Mostly true, yes.
    Our society is generally Lawful, we have laws for everything, from thievery to when you're allowed to cross a street or not (a nightmare to any chaotic creature).
    However, I believe you can be chaotic and still follow the law because you have the common sense to do so. This will just express itself in the relationships you have with people and you might be known for being a 'rage against the machine' kind of guy.
    I've a friend who's firmly anti-government, he sees any police officer as a tool of the oppressive regime, will undermine any kind of authority whenever he can, he'll vote, but only for the party that promises to destroy the current system for a more freedom/mass vote based democracy and whenever there's a protest against anything the government does, he'll be there.
    He's acting in the confines of the law because he doesn't want jail time or fines. I would say, however, that he is a firmly Chaotic person.

From my point of view, it's not just how you act that defines your alignment, but the reason why you do it. Otherwise, it's just judgement of your actions by others instead of a summary of your prime motivations for your actions.

Example: Man goes into hills and kills a hundred orcs. Clearly, he is a good man because the orcs are evil and were threatening the nearby villages.
    However, if he went into the hills to kill a hundred orcs because he revels in the slaughter and pain of sentient creatures and he believes orcs won't be missed, he's evil. Just looking at his actions does not give an accurate analysis of his possible alignment.

(note: I put way too much thought into this. The entire system is still full of holes and I gave some basic examples of how I believe is the best way to interpret it. If you do it otherwise, you're probably just as right as I am. Hey-ho!)
  • klatuklatu Member Posts: 108
    Well, in D&D alignments can mean different things altogether.

Anyone who's played Planescape: Torment can tell you that in Planescape alignments have an almost physical aspect to them. They are not just categories of dispositions or philosophical outlooks. They are laws of nature. A creature from a chaotic plane is chaotic, a creature from an evil plane is evil, etc, because that is their nature. You will never meet a good aligned Glabrezu.

And yet, the Nameless One's alignment changes based on his actions. That is because the actions he takes can best be identified by a certain alignment. It has little to do with morality/ethics. He's aligned with other creatures who act and think like him. It's pretty much a matter of categorization, a quick heuristic of where he stands in the big picture.

OTOH in BG, alignment ,from the get-go, is a descriptor of a character's moral outlook on the world. It defines what sort of values a character believes in. Whether or not laws are important, how much value they place on other people...
    What a character's alignment describes is something much more personal. It has little to do with their actions.
    The only time in BG when the protagonist's alignment changes is when
    she does something drastically opposed her usual instincts at the end of BG2 in Hell. However, Hell in this instance is a place created from the protagonist's soul, from her innermost fears and desires, from her very being.

Any action taken here defines what the protagonist really believes in.

Unlike Planescape, the Bhaalspawn does not start with a blank slate. She already has certain values and convictions.

You can play a neutral evil character who always does nice and generous things for others. But that character is still ultimately selfish and only acting for her own benefit.

Or you can play a zealous Paladin who shows no mercy and is a controlling asshole towards everyone else. Her motives are still "good"-aligned, though. Even if her actions are (seen as) cruel.

The thing to remember, I guess, is that in both settings alignments are a very general construct and, more importantly, that they are descriptive and not prescriptive. They describe or categorize a character in very broad terms (and the focus shifts for different settings).
    But it's the player's job to roleplay that character and give her substance and a unique personality.
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    People here are forgetting that "Lawful" just means that you prefer order and structure rather than "always following the law". For example, a Lawful person would only have to follow a certain dogma, philosophy, or adhere strictly to a code or believe in strict routines and organisation of lives to count as Lawful. For a slightly exaggerated example, let's imagine a monk of a generic benevolent deity-philosophy. He believes firmly in helping those who suffer. However, in the country he's in begging and giving money to beggars is illegal. Despite this, the monk would have absolutely no qualms about feeding the beggars, because the "law" that he adheres to is not the the juridical law. Freedom can be equally important to a Lawful person as a Chaotic one, they just disagree on how to achieve it. It's the mindset of preferring order above uncertainty, rather than their actual opinions, that makes one.Lawful or Chaotic.

In my mind, at least.
    klatu said:

Anyone who's played Planescape: Torment can tell you that in Planescape alignments have an almost physical aspect to them. They are not just categories of dispositions or philosophical outlooks. They are laws of nature. A creature from a chaotic plane is chaotic, a creature from an evil plane is evil, etc, because that is their nature. You will never meet a good aligned Glabrezu.

Good points in your post, I agree with pretty much all of it except this part, where you specificly contradict yourself with the example you give.
    Planescape: Torment has a Chaotic Neutral chaste Succubus, a Chaotic Neutral Modron from the plane of Law, an Evil Angel and several other examples.
    One of the main themes of the game is that you choose how to act, despite your background or heritage. Hence the central question; What can change the nature of a man?
    The nature of all these creatures has been changed, each for a different reason and as such they do not follow the laws of nature as you set them.
  • GygaxianProseGygaxianProse Member Posts: 201
    I don't think the two axis alignments are inherently stupid. There are underlying assumptions to it - the existence of good and evil - and certainly life is more dynamic, but it is a rather brilliantly elegant way of putting ethos in a fantasy game full of demons, necromancers, and the like.
    Although as the OP might suggest, you might get a more "realistic" in terms of ogranically flexible alignments by using a 3 alignment system, Law, Chaos, Neutral....or just not using them at all, since it hardly breaks the game...
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    Actually, the alignment system is kind of interesting to me in that in real life such axes do indeed exist, and people do more or less fall somewhere on each continuum. For example, in very simple terms a person's behavior can be measured as more or less "good" or "evil." Or "lawful" or "chaotic." But as a predictor of behavior, especially considering just how complex motivations for behavior can actually be, it is not reliable. But still, I can identify people I know more or less according to the alignment system. And that's kind of fascinating to see.
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    Sigh. @RecklessHeart Chaotic Neutral is the only alignment that is as Chaotic as you say. Chaotic goes by a personal morality over a commonly accepted morality. Robin Hood is the classic example of Chaotic Good. And to my mind, Batman is also chaotic good. He ignores the law, when necessary, to bring down greater evils that the law cannot touch.

Chaotic Neutral holds to nothing and no one. This alignment generally appears insane to other people. They have no constant but their own wants and self-interest. Almost pure ID (Jungian Psychology). Whereas only Chaotic Evil is actively malevolent on an ongoing basis. Nothing matters but him and if the CE character feels like raping you with a spear up the butt to amuse himself for a while he will. Other humans are tools to be used or pawns to be played with. Whereas a Chaotic Neutral might still respect you if you hold power over him in some way, Chaotic Evil will be figuring out how to screw you over so that they are on top. They have no loyalty, no honor, no affection, though they might pretend to feel something to gull you.
  • PantalionPantalion Member Posts: 2,137
    @LadyRhian

I'm not sure I agree with you entirely, as a Lawful person does have a personal morality (and is generally more likely to hold to that personal morality than a Chaotic person). Law isn't legislation, it is Order, rigid and inflexible. This inflexibility and strength of mind is what is necessary

In fact, one could argue that legislation is much less related to Law, and much more related to the Moral axis of Good and Evil.

For example (and for the rest of this post, where I put a lower case "law", assume I mean legislation, not the embodiment of absolute order):

A Good law says: Do not kill or hurt others.
    A Neutral law says: If someone kills or hurts someone, then they or their family may extract a blood price from them in gold or flesh.
    An Evil law says: If you are strong enough, do as you please.

See here that it is evil, not chaos, that is against a law about hurting someone.

A Lawful law says: No Trespassing!
    A Chaotic law says: There is no such thing as private property.

Even these have moral overtones, because the Chaotic ideal of Freedom is something most human-like entites appreciate, but at the same time, most humam-ish species appreciate the ideals of privacy, security and home, all Lawful aspects.

You are correct that a Chaotic person isn't obligated to break the law, as they have a more flexible mindset, they will pick and choose regularly based on the situation whether to follow the law or not, depending how they felt about it Morally.

Nowhere in this however, does a Lawful *person* become more or less likely to break or obey the law, as an Orderly existence is not necessarily a legal one. Indeed, the only thing that Lawfulness indicates is how *consistently* they break the law, and how methodically they break the law.

If a Chaotic person doesn't care one way or other about the law then they would either break or not break it on a whim, or obey the law simply because it's easier to be law abiding than otherwise (something a Lawful person is just as capable of deciding).

If a Lawful person doesn't care one way or other about the law, then because their behaviour is more consistent then their first action towards that law (walking on the grass, for example), is likely to be their second and third action and so on; they will either keep breaking, or keep obeying the law.

Now, there is one primary muddying issue, and it's one that confuses this issue much more than it need be; Law also encompasses Tradition, Society and Truth, and Chaos Liberty, Individualism and Deceit (along with many more things you could go on forever about).

Society and Tradition both have strong ties to laws, so too does Law go hand in hand with obedience, and yes, a person can embody Obedience and believe in following the law over all else, but it's important to understand that that is only a comparatively tiny fraction of Law, and a Lawful person is no more bound to behave that way than a Chaotic one is bound to disobedience. Most sentient creatures are not bound to embody all the wide reaching aspects of a Law/Chaos alignment, and if they did, would only be capable of Lawful Neutrality, and a very bizarre, barely understandable by "regular" creatures.

In conclusion, and most importantly of all: Batman is Lawful Good. He routinely breaks the law against vigilantism, yes, but he is also absolutely faithful to his code of not killing, a lawful trait.

Plus he's totally a Monk, look at those moves.
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    @Pantalion I am talking in AD&D terms here. Lawful good follows a system of universal morality. Chaotic Good personal morality (which may differ in either small or large ways from that Universal Morality). The fact that Batman won't kill doesn't make him Lawful Good. Most Good people wouldn't kill anyone either. He has great strength of will to hold to that when people are actively trying to kill him, and he could kill them in self-defense, but the act of willingly breaking the law is what makes him Chaotic Good. It's more than just breaking the law- he believes it is right to break that law in pursuit of the greater good- that's where the Chaotic Good part comes in. Not only does he believe it's right- it doesn't bother him to break the law at all. A truly Lawful Good person might break that law (under duress), but they'd be terribly conflicted about it and feel wretched while doing it. (Whereas a Neutral Good would only break the law if there were no other choice to get the good done. They are reluctant to break the laws unless there is a damn good reason to do so.)

Lawful Good's attitude towards the law is "Laws are supposed to be there to help people. If a law is bad, I will follow it, but also try to get it changed to a better law." Lawful Neutral is "The Law that exists must be followed- it's the Law." It's kind of the Inspector Javert of morality. Incidentally, Javert lets Jean Valjean go to save his adopted daughter- and Javert who is the strictest "Law must be followed" guy ever, commits suicide over it because he broke the law! Lawful Evil is "Laws help me gain power over others" so they exploit the loopholes in the law and lean on the letter of the law until it groans in protest- because Laws are necessary, but also can help you screw people over.

Chaotic, again, is more towards freedom. Personal morality over what most people think is universal. Chaotic Good ignores laws that are bad- he won't follow them while trying to change them for the better, he'll just ignore it as if it isn't there in order to do good as he sees it. (Again, Robin Hood and Batman being the alignment exemplars in this. Robin Hood commits theft to help people survive (Money from the Nasty Rich and Venial tax collectors and Deer from the King and Nobles Forest to feed people who are hungry.) While Batman commits multiple crimes to bring down people the Police cannot catch/touch. Both feel they are completely justified in this. Neither care they are breaking the law so long as more Good is done in consequence. And neither are troubled by breaking these laws.
  • GygaxianProseGygaxianProse Member Posts: 201
    Well I'm down the middle on Batman, seeing him NG. He seems too internally structured and disciplined to be truly chaotic. Not killing , I think, is more a trait of the second alignment axis than of the first. He operates in concert with the law for good, but disregards it conditionally.
  • sandmanCCLsandmanCCL Member Posts: 1,389
    And this thread demonstrates, again, why I feel this argument will never come to a head.

Honestly I wish they did away with the whole thing. People and the characters they create are too complex to fit into any 9 simple alignment archetypes.
  • PantalionPantalion Member Posts: 2,137
    LadyRhian said:

@Pantalion I am talking in AD&D terms here. Lawful good follows a system of universal morality.

As am I. A Monk is *required* to be Lawful, and a Paladin is *required* to be Lawful Good, but neither are required to obey the law, only when Law and Chaos were the only two alignments back in 1e was being law-abiding interwoven with being Lawful, and this artefact is where much of the baggage attached to the two comes from (hence why Lawful is about altruism, of all things, whilst Chaos is about greed). No Paladin ever fell for failing to obey an Orcish law that "a kitten must be eaten every six minutes" (it's about the only thing they don't fall for, admittedly), no Monk ever strayed from the path to spiritual perfection because they ignored the "Do not walk on the grass" sign.

Yes, the AD&D Player's Handbook gives very contrasting beliefs, a Lawful character in its example does not believe that chaos exists, and a Chaotic character believes the very opposite, with only Neutrality espousing the view that both have their place (and in this showing that there are a variety of points along the "triangle" it describes).

Even there, in the same paragraph as it describes philosophical Law, however, it shows the exact same differences I have described: "For less philosophical types, they believe in following laws". One believes in acting within orderly structures, patterns of behaviour; the other does not.

Part of the problem comes from the fact that the *examples* of alignments the book present were laid out in such a way as to pretend to be universal, whereas they are in fact laser focused. A hermit who shuns society and believes that the key to enlightenment is isolation and a life practised in strict meditation and diet, with no thoughts given to simple morality is not Chaotic Neutral, they are still definitely Lawful Neutral, even though they have rejected society and its laws.

It's important to remember that individuals aren't robots defined by simple programming rules and nothing else, and generally a lot more important to read the Law Neutrality and Chaos section to understand the building blocks of D&D morality than it is the Alignment Combination examples to see what the writers made out of those blocks.