Skip to content

Noob questions

I am almost done with my first playthrough of BG1 with a two handed Inquisitor. Before I start playing BG2. I wanna go through the game with a dual wield Kensi or Blackguard. Are Katanas any good at all in the BG series? I have only found a 1+ katana in BG:EE,

Also are Druid Avenger a good class kit? What weapon type should an Avenger be using?
Quarterstaff is that a valid close combat weapon at all?

Comments

• BigfishBigfish Member Posts: 367
    Katanas are alright. There is only the one +1 one in BG1, but there are a few good ones in BG2, like the Celestial Fury which has a chance for on hit stun.

As far as Avengers go, I don't think their weapons matter too much as I think the usual strategy is to drop a web or two and shape shift to sword spider.
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    Katanas are pretty rare. SoD and BG2EE have a couple of nice ones but like the description says, pretty rare. Doable yes.
    Avenger is a great druid, with shapechanges that offer more options in fights. Those extra spells come in quite handy as well. First game I ever went clean through the series with was avenger. Scimitars, darts, quarterstaves all good. Quarterstaff will allow you to fight behind frontliners. 2H prof. will add damage to your salamander forms damage. I like clubs myself for blunt damage with a shield but shield choices are much better with Rogue Rebalancing mod added.
    Best advice is to roleplay it regardless of choices. Everything is viable. Anything can get a bit boring so picture what you want and just run with it.
  • SainderSainder Member Posts: 8
    Zaghoul said:

Katanas are pretty rare. SoD and BG2EE have a couple of nice ones but like the description says, pretty rare. Doable yes.
    Avenger is a great druid, with shapechanges that offer more options in fights. Those extra spells come in quite handy as well. First game I ever went clean through the series with was avenger. Scimitars, darts, quarterstaves all good. Quarterstaff will allow you to fight behind frontliners. 2H prof. will add damage to your salamander forms damage. I like clubs myself for blunt damage with a shield but shield choices are much better with Rogue Rebalancing mod added.
    Best advice is to roleplay it regardless of choices. Everything is viable. Anything can get a bit boring so picture what you want and just run with it.

Thank you for insight =)
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147
    Although katanas are rare, they can't break.
    Which because of the iron crisis, is very helpful at the start of BG as you can buy one from Winthorp.
    They also do a lot of damage.

The +1 katana in BG isn't that late game and if you are dual weilding, then pips in long swords as well is sensible surely?

Personally I am addicted to them, as the best weapon in the game (IMO) you eventually pick up, is a katana. From earlyish BG2 to late TOB it is effective.
    Even if it doesn't do damage, the stun effect works seperately and with a large negative thaco, it stuns a hell of a lot of bothersome creatures (including golums).
    It's very OP.