Skip to content

How to reach max magic resistance for mages??

szdobosszdobos Member Posts: 36
With the original game, i think the max you can get is 65% as a mage.
25% cloack of balduran
10% ring of gaxx
10% another ring - I dont remember
10% with the staff of magi
And 10% with the amulet of magic res.

Does anyone know better solution for mages??
:)
Post edited by Tanthalas on

Comments

• ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    Think you've posted this in the wrong forum, but off the top of my head your list seems quite accurate, not counting creatures you can transform into.
  • ZayneZayne Member Posts: 32
    +10% for Robe of Vekna or 20% if you'll take 1 level of any class which can use leather armor with Human Flesh
    And you can achieve 20% bonus resistance in end of SoA

105% totally
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    +10% magic resitance from a shield if you dual or multiclass.
    Robe of vecna as stated above.
  • Aasimar069Aasimar069 Member Posts: 803
    Zayne said:

+10% for Robe of Vekna or 20% if you'll take 1 level of any class which can use leather armor with Human Flesh
    And you can achieve 20% bonus resistance in end of SoA

105% totally

Unless I am mistaken, it's 10% magic resistance that you gain just before Irenicus

and a 20% bonus to the fire resistance

+2 to all saving throws also.

If anyone else can confirm :)
  • DjonneDjonne Member Posts: 71
    Cloack of Balduran + ring of Gaxx at the same time?

How do you do this without cheating?
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    I'm not sure if its the Cloak or the Helmet of Balduran that doesn't count for the saves bonus restriction.
  • MungriMungri Member Posts: 1,645
    szdobos said:

Yup, Polymorph self > Mustard Jelly.
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    Mungri said:

szdobos said:

Yup, Polymorph self > Mustard Jelly.
    've always done that against enemy mages, too.
  • Aasimar069Aasimar069 Member Posts: 803
    Tanthalas said:

I'm not sure if its the Cloak or the Helmet of Balduran that doesn't count for the saves bonus restriction.

By the way, Helmet of Balduran was heavily nerfed in BG2.

I do hope they will keep its BG1 stats !

• elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,316
    Umm... isn't the Cloak of Balduran a BG1 exclusive item?
  • ElofElof Member Posts: 42
    Djonne said:

The ring of Gaxx doesn't count as a magical item in the same way as rings/cloaks of protection. If you cheat you can have two rings of Gaxx on at the same time (very nice), if I recall correctly.
  • DjonneDjonne Member Posts: 71
    At the same time means in the same game :D

You lose the cloack when exporting from BG1 to BG2 if you don't use the cutscene inventory glitch.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,316
    Djonne said:

At the same time means in the same game :D

You lose the cloack when exporting from BG1 to BG2 if you don't use the cutscene inventory glitch.

I never even knew this existed. Still won't use it though.
  • ZaorZaor Member Posts: 69
    As others have pointed out, the cloak is bg1 only outside of the tactics mod and cheats. Also, I don't recall a second ring (outside of cheats) that gives 10% magic resistance. --- Just confirmed with banshee. The only other ring that gives magic resistance is the holy-symbol line, requiring 25 levels of cleric.

Also, the Staff of the Magi does not give magic resistance. If you are trying to max magic resistance, some dual class or multiclass options will open this up a lot, since there *are* weapons that give 10% resistance.

With that said, there is some extra potential magic resistance from Hell Trials and Lum's machine: a total of 15% between the two I believe. So Robes + 15 + gaxx + Amulet = 45% for a pure mage without magic resistance buff. I haven't confirmed but I bet the magic resistance buff as it stands can be abused to get up to 85% (Take off items, cast buff, put items back on, they will probably stack in vanilla). Legitimately though, 45%.
  • MungriMungri Member Posts: 1,645
    Why you still waste so much effort instead of simply becoming one with the jelly? Its ok, it won't hurt you. Relax your mind and body. Imagine that you are nothing more than a slithering pile of magic immune gloop, and gloop you shall be!
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    Magic Resistance is not that useful... I mean, all they need is Imprisonment to make your life hell D:
  • bbearbbear Member Posts: 1,180
    Elof said:

Djonne said:

The ring of Gaxx doesn't count as a magical item in the same way as rings/cloaks of protection. If you cheat you can have two rings of Gaxx on at the same time (very nice), if I recall correctly.
    Technically you can have 2. Have you party under protection against undead. You can get the first copy by stealing from the lich. You get the second copy by defeating the demi-lich.