Skip to content

Is there anyway to convert an NPC into a PC (in the eyes of the game)?

I want to be able to export NPCs and import them into new games the same way I can a PC. Is there any way to convince the game (such as by moving files around or renaming them or something) that an NPC is a PC and can therefore be exported?

I want to be able to do this for three reasons.

1.) I like to continue playing with Viconia in my party from where I left off and right now have to re-create her in Shadowkeeper every time, which is really time consuming.

2.) I thought it would be cool to try playing the game solo as either Minsc or Sendai and want to export them so that I can import them in to a new game.

3.) If I could export BG1 characters from either BG1 or Tutu I could actually use them in BG2.

Comments

• ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    If you're talking from BG to BG2 you can use BGT. All the characters in your party will then have exactly the stats and exp that they had when BG ended, but their items will still be lost.
    For importing a party into BG1 or replaying BG2 with it, afaik there's no way other than manually recreating the NPCs.
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    edited November 2012
    You can do that with infinity engine editor . Look for your last BG1 saved game in IEE and open the NPC's file. In one of the slots there you'll find the option "export allowed" for that pc. Dunno if it exports the soundsets , though...

As for Sendai:
    1- you could do the same with her .CRE file
    2 - then CLUA Console her to your game , export her
    3 - Start a new game with her.
    Note: Dunno if Sendai has any item that prevents her from dying, so in that case I would also remove all her Itens from the .CRE file.
  • ARKdeEREHARKdeEREH Member Posts: 531
    edited November 2012
    @DJKajuru Thank you, that sounds hopeful. I haven't used IEE before. I just looked for it on Google and it sounds like there are many different versions of it. Is there any one in particular that you would recommend?

Sendai has a version of Imoen's belt, but I've removed it with Shadowkeeper in the past when I've used the ctrl q cheat to add her to my party.
    edited November 2012
    The version I have is 1.32 , apparently one of the latest ones.
    To make a character exportable you should check the "flags" line. Oh, something else I would remove is the character's script .
    edited November 2012
    @DJKajuru I downloaded the Infinity Engine Editor, but now I can't figure out how to open saved games with it. I have a different version than you since I couldn't find the one you mentioned. Mine is 1.0.9 Build 40.

Anyway, the options on the menu are: "Spell Maker," "Item Maker," "Store Maker," NPC TBG Maker," Infinity Addon Patcher," Dialog Fixer," and "Dialog.tlk Editor."

I've tried experimenting with these options and so far there doesn't seem to be a way to open up an actual saved game, much less export anyone.

Would you please let me know what I am doing wrong?

Thank you
    I got mine on sorcerer's place:
    http://www.sorcerers.net/Games/IEmodding/index.php

Oh, actually the name is "near infinity"! You need java to run it . Try that one and ask me if you need any help !
    @DJKajuru Is it possible to export NPC .CRE files from existing saved games?

I figured out how to export the .CRE files for the NPCs that are already listed in Near Infinity, but not those in my saved games. I can open my saved games and view the statistics for my NPCs, but the export button is not visible.
    Also, I just tried to start a new game using either Sendai or Viconia as my PC (I exported their generic .CRE files into the characters folder), but neither showed up as an option. When I went into the characters folder I found that their file extension .CRE is different from those of the other characters in the folder, which have either a .CHR or a .BIO extension. How do I fix this so that the game acknowledges my Near Infinity exported characters? Thanks!
    No worries, that's because you're probably using the export option available on the right click of the mouse.
    The "export allowed" option is in a line called "flags" . Lemme try to help you out:

1- Open the desired .cre file at near Infinity folders.
    2- Go for the edit option
    3- I believe the 'flags' option will be below the character's name , for example:

Name:Anomen
    Flags- Original class:fighter
    click on export allowed

In case of Sendai - you should also remove her undroppable armor, change her scripts and her immortality items .
    You're right I was clicking the export button and not editing flags.

What do I do after I've set the flags to export allowed?

I saved the files after I did that. Is it supposed to directly create a character file? It didn't seem to, so I tried to load my game and export the characters from there thinking that maybe changing them in Near Infinity would have changed the options for those characters in the game. It still didn't display as an option in the game, so I tried starting a new game and exporting from there, but the export option was still greyed out.

edited November 2012

@ARKdeEREH , now that you've made her exportable, in the game you should cluaconsole that character (there are many sendais , so take good look at the one you've changed) , ctrl+Q it and on her character sheet you can finally export the original sendai =D

I'll try doing it tonight!
    @ARKdeEREH, I've just tried it and it works well :

Remember , it's not the export BUTTOM, it's the "export allowed" flag.
    @DJKajuru I made all the Sendai versions exportable just to be safe. I just tried it again and the "export" button on the game's character sheet is still greyed out. This is after I've changed the flag to "( Export allowed (11) )"

Since this is my first time using Near Infinity, is there maybe some one-time additional step that I need to take before changes I make in it will appear in the game?
    @DJKajuru I figured it out! It works in Tutu, but not in the regular game. In the long-run it doesn't matter, since I should be able to import the Tutu characters into BG2.
    @ARKdeEREH , near infinity is such an incredible tool , I'm sure you'll enjoy everything there!

Oh, please let me know the progress of your Sendai quests! (I also think she's a very interesting villain!)