Skip to content

Magical Items - one at a time

So early on playing BG I discovered that you can only have one 'magical' item equipped at a time. I understand that it makes sense so that the player doesn't get super powerfull. What I wasn't sure about was what qualifies an item as 'magical' that you can only have 1 of at a time. I.e. if you equip Plate Armor + 1 you cannot also have ring of protection +1, but you can have other magical items equipped (more spells, hide in shadows, etc).

Is it just armor class modifiers?

I think it would be handy to denote somewhere that the item is in the category of "one at a time" magical, like a different colour border or something so that new players can quickly see that oh I already have that robe that is conflicting, as currently they would have to go through each item equipped until they remove the offending item.

Comments

• MungriMungri Member Posts: 1,645
    Any magical item which boosts AC and saves, which includes +x armor, rings and capes is limited to only having 1 equipped at a time. Otherwise I'd be running around in BG1 with -20 AC.
  • mjsmjs Member Posts: 742
    to expand on mungri's post. it's any items that have +x in their title. so ring +1 and amulet +1 is a no-no, but the claw of kazgorath (which gives AC and save bonuses) and a ring/amulet +1 is allowed. similarly the cloak of the sewers in bg2 (ac bonus) and rings/amulets of protection are allowed
  • ginger_hammerginger_hammer Member Posts: 160
    @mjs - thats what I thought, the lines are somewhat blurred. Would be better to denote items into two categories - ones that clash and ones that don't. I read elsewhere about discussions over description/name changes so not sure if that +x rule will hold after the changes.
  • HaHaCharadeHaHaCharade Member Posts: 1,644
    edited November 2012
    The way I think about it, if its an "accessory" (Cape, Ring, Etc.) that adds +1 AC, odds are you can't stack it with magic armor, but we all try anyway to be sure. lol. Doesn't really cause a whole lot of confusion for me, but I just try everything out.
  • JaxsbudgieJaxsbudgie Member Posts: 600
    Aren't they making Ankheg armour magical now?
    Or was it magical before?

I can't keep up.
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    @Jaxsbudgie They are removing ankheg armor's magical bonus, as it is non-magical armor. This will allow a ring of protection to be used with the armor.
  • IchigoRXCIchigoRXC Member Posts: 1,001

@Jaxsbudgie They are removing ankheg armor's magical bonus, as it is non-magical armor. This will allow a ring of protection to be used with the armor.

Which will be AWESOME!

• Aasimar069Aasimar069 Member Posts: 803
    edited November 2012
    That's even OP, since except the green look, it's almost as defensive as a full plate armor, but with a much lighter weight.

The best armor choice was (If i recall properly) :

Full plate + ring of protection +2 + Cloak of Balduran.
  • JaxsbudgieJaxsbudgie Member Posts: 600
    But they're lowering the AC of it right?
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    Maybe