Skip to content

BGEE Items should not have BG2 nerfed versions

Hello everybody,

You might have noticed that some item (I don't have the list) are nerfed in BG2 compared with their version in BG.

The best example is the Helmet of Balduran has a +5 to all saving throws in BG1 and only +1 in BG2.

Please devs, stay as close as possible to the BG item stats since we'll need them in many occasions.

Saving throws are useful in many hard encounters (Demon Knight in Durlag, Aec'letec, ...

Comments

• TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738

The best example is the Helmet of Balduran has a +5 to all saving throws in BG1(...)

No it doesn't.
  • Aasimar069Aasimar069 Member Posts: 803
    edited November 2012
    I have to check this again , but I'm pretty sure that it has very good saving throws in the first game (non modded).

But this might be a typing error from the french version of the game.

EDIT :

I might have made a mistake with the cloak of Balduran stats :

Cloak of Balduran Armor Class: +3 bonus Saving Throws: +1 bonus Magic Resistance: 25%

I have to check later since I have limited acces to internet on a smartphone.

Yet I do expect that the cloak of Balduran will retain its stats.
  • BrudeBrude Member Posts: 560
    Sounds like you might be confusing the stats. The Helm of Balduran granted +5 max HP and +1 saving throws.

http://baldursgategame.wikia.com/wiki/Helm_of_Balduran
    I can't check right now if the stats are the same in BG1 and BG2.

But as I said, I probably have made a mistake/confusion between the item stats.

Thanks for the link

I might have made a mistake with the cloak of Balduran stats :

Cloak of Balduran Armor Class: +3 bonus Saving Throws: +1 bonus Magic Resistance: 25%

Cloak of Balduran also only has +1 to saving throws.
    yes that's why I edited concerning my confusion :)

But given the fact they'll bring the BG2 mechanics to BG1n I hope that the 25% resist magic bonus will remain the same.

As it should be.
    Cloak of Balduran didn't exist in BG2, and I don't think they're going to randomly alter stats on BG1 equipment.
  • bigdogchrisbigdogchris Member Posts: 1,336
    edited November 2012
    For items that existed in BG2, that were also in BG1, wouldn't they be the BG2 version in BG:EE? An example I'm thinking of shields and such, which they had to manually convert back to BG1 graphics.
    @bigdogchris

What actually was done with BGEE was that all the BG1 items were imported, not the BG2 ones.

All the item descriptions had to be manually changed (in the case of weapons) to use BG2 proficiencies. There were also several Stealth items that had to be changed to use Hide in Shadows/Move Silently instead.
  • ARKdeEREHARKdeEREH Member Posts: 531
    Regardless of which item the OP intended to refer to, there are items that change in BG2. I can't remember what its called, but there was a sword that I used to really like in BG1 that had would do fire damage to the opponents it struck a certain percentage of the time. In BG2 and Tutu, this same sword would cause a fireball to be cast instead, which often killed the wielder. This made it much less useful, so I haven't used it since.
  • BerconBercon Member Posts: 486
    AFAIK there is no sword in Baldur's Gate that does fire damage: http://mikesrpgcenter.com/bgate/melee.html

I don't think any other items were changed from BG1 to BG2 except Ring of Wizardry, which in BG1 doubles 1st lvl spells and in BG2 gives you on of each 5th, 6th and 7th level spells. At least from the "unique" items. Some like special arrows did change I believe.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,316
    You sure you aren't thinking of the club of detonation? Thats in ToB, not BG1. I've never heard of a sword casting a fireball, though there is the flaming tongue and Sword of Flame +1 in BG2 that do fire damage.
  • HaHaCharadeHaHaCharade Member Posts: 1,644
    elminster said:

You sure you aren't thinking of the club of detonation? Thats in ToB, not BG1. I've never heard of a sword casting a fireball, though there is the flaming tongue and Sword of Flame +1 in BG2 that do fire damage.

Yeah... I do know in Icewind Dale there's a Bastard Sword +2 Conflagration (10% chance of fireball), but I don't know of any sword in the BG series that does it.
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    The first thing that comes to my mind when thinking about nerfed items is ammunition. Arrows and bolts +x only getting +x to THAC0 (no bonus to damage), arrows of fire doing 1D2 fire damage instead of 1D6, acid arrows doing 1D3 instead of 2D6 acid damage, etc.
  • ARKdeEREHARKdeEREH Member Posts: 531
    edited November 2012
    @Bercon @elminster @HaHaCharade
    I just looked through my old saved games and found the sword I was referring to. You're right it doesn't do any fire damage in BG1, but once it imports into BG2 it does. In BG2 the sword is called "Harbinger +3" and has a 5% chance per hit to cause a fireball. In BG1 it is a +3 sword called "The World's Edge". Both are two-handed swords. I think in BG1 you find it in Durlag's Tower.

Another thing I noticed while reviewing these saved games and experimenting with imports is that the +3 plate mail armor from Durlag's Tower can be worn by my Cleric/Thief in BG1, but she cannot wear it in BG2. It also lacks a name or description in BG2, although other characters can wear it.

I've also noticed in the past that Algernon's Cloak does not import into BG2 at all. It is the only item I've noticed so far that doesn't, but there may be others.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,316
    Hmm neato.