Skip to content

What Character should i play for my first Good aligned playthrough of BG in years

BaxyrattyBaxyratty Member Posts: 190
Also if you could tell me why you voted like you did to get me amped to play the class it would be great!
  1. What Character should i play for my first Good aligned playthrough of BG in years25 votes
    1. CG Halfling Barbarian
      48.00%
    2. NG Half Elf Blade
      32.00%
    3. LG Human Kensai/Mage
      20.00%
    4. NG Human Kensai/Theif
        0.00%

Comments

• ElysianEchoesElysianEchoes Member Posts: 475
    I would love to hear the exploits of a Halfling barbarian. Such a combination is seldom attempted. The loss in strength will be offset by your barbarian rage, and if you max out your constitution, not only will you have a good amount of damage resistance, but amazing saves, as well! The roleplay value is the best. No one expects a short little guy to start frothing at the mouth, tear through an entire contingent of foes, and chunk the general and his second in command mage while arrows, swords, and spells alike bounce off his skin like spring raindrops!
  •  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    Slings. That's pretty much all that need be said. You get a movement rate increase for kiting, rage to increase your strength damage, high natural dexterity for better accuracy and another bonus to THAC0 with slings due to being a half long. It's worth noting through that constitution save bonuses cap at -5 at 19 CON.
  • SomnamSomnam Member Posts: 18
    CG Halfling Barbarian all the way.
    Pick weapons that you like

In BG2EE, make it a funny party, like:

Halfling Barbarian
    Minsc
    Jaheira
    Alora (will need to download mod)
    Jan (Imoen later if you want)
    Mazzy/Anomen or whatever floats your boat.

• tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985
    Halfling barbarian.

With a halberd.

• Stupid_PunsStupid_Puns Member Posts: 66
    Well, time to play devil's advocate. The issue with Halfling Barbarian is that it's pretty much a fighter class, and there are PLENTY of fighter classes in Baldur's Gate. Now, while a Kensai/Mage (preferably dual classed at level 9) is very powerful, it requires a lot of knowledge of the game. What I suggest is you just roll with a Fighter/Mage. It's similar to a Blade... just better. My recommendation would be Fighter-Mage (multi-class) Two-Weapon Style with either Flails or Long Swords. It's really the best of both worlds, and isn't either overly difficult or in a glut.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Blade is my favorite vanilla class and is so versatile. Its like a fighter/mage, but better! You will also get more options as to HOW you want to tackle encounters, blades can pretty much choose any strategy they want, keeping gameplay fresh.

Halfling barbarian wielding a halberd is a fairly close second pick.
  • Victor_Creed_SFVVictor_Creed_SFV Member Posts: 609
    ThacoBell said:

Blade is my favorite vanilla class and is so versatile. Its like a fighter/mage, but better! You will also get more options as to HOW you want to tackle encounters, blades can pretty much choose any strategy they want, keeping gameplay fresh.

Halfling barbarian wielding a halberd is a fairly close second pick.

Now that songs last for a round Skalds are so much better than Blade.

Halfling Barbarian + Halberd is the best rp choice and ofc Kensai/Thief the best damage option.
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    I did a halfling barbarian once, very fun actually. It made mooks tougher with 17str, yet bosses could still be hulk-smashed with 21 str.

I dualed daggers, but again for flavour. Throwing daggers worked well vs weak foes generally, a nice perk.

Blade would be fun too, but an elf with the sword bonus would be a real asset if you consider adjusting.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    @Victor_Creed_SFV Well no. A skald will be better at a different playstyle, namely, standing around and singing. A blade will better allow the op to take an actual active role. The Skalds +1 to rolls isn't big enough make them really effective in melee. Especially not compared to a blade.
  • Victor_Creed_SFVVictor_Creed_SFV Member Posts: 609
    ThacoBell said:

@Victor_Creed_SFV Well no. A skald will be better at a different playstyle, namely, standing around and singing. A blade will better allow the op to take an actual active role. The Skalds +1 to rolls isn't big enough make them really effective in melee. Especially not compared to a blade.

Why quote me and not read my post?
    Bard songs got changed and last a round now, the bard can apply the bonus to themselves.
    (there's even an item in SoD (which might be importable to bg2) which makes them last for 3 rounds)