Skip to content

What does Developer Mode enable?

So I've been poking around at the EXE (examples here - https://www.gog.com/forum/planescape_torment/potentially_interesting_exe_edits ) and found that I could turn on developer mode.

Is there any documentation about what exactly that enables?

Comments

• CuvCuv Member, Developer Posts: 2,535
    DON'T!!!!!! If you do that - floating symbols will appear in the air above your computer and you will go insane!!!
  • Contemplative_HamsterContemplative_Hamster Member Posts: 844
    The Lady takes a dim view of such things. Proceed with caution.
  • taclanetaclane Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 364

The Lady takes a dim view of such things. Proceed with caution.

Why would she care about messing...

... with the debug console?

OH CRAP! RUN!

:tongue:
  • TeflonTeflon Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 515
    Thou shalt not mess with forbidden developer stuff..... :o
  • IllydthIllydth Member, Developer Posts: 1,641
    @Wulf2k

Here's the thing: The original PST did not have a built in "debug/developer's console" like all other Infinity Engine games (developed by Bioware) did. This is because (historically) while both games WERE produced from the Infinity Engine, Interplay/Black Isle actually licensed a copy of the IE from Bioware and then went on to make changes to it for PST.

What this means is, the two IE's (those from Bioware Games and those from Black Isle/Interplay games) are NOT the same IE.

This necessitated hacking the original executable for PST to "enable" basic functionality available in bioware's IE through simply turning on a debug console.

With the "merge" of Planescape back into Beamdog's "IE" (an extended version of Bioware's to be generic in the conversation) Planescape picks up the base IE "Debug Console" functionality.

This pretty much means there is NO need to hack the exe as noted in your links (as there was in the original PST)...and very very very many reasons NOT to do so...not the least of which is that the two EXEs (PST and PST:EE) are NOT the same EXE and thus will have different offsets whereby these functions are enabled and disabled.

I'd prefer not to have to debug why someone's PST:EE is doing wonky stuff because they hacked an exe and twiddled a bit here and a bit there that actually were the wrong bits to twiddle.

(PS: I have NO idea what "developer mode" is other than the base debug console).
  • Wulf2kWulf2k Member Posts: 27
    Illydth said:

I'd prefer not to have to debug why someone's PST:EE is doing wonky stuff because they hacked an exe and twiddled a bit here and a bit there that actually were the wrong bits to twiddle.

Of course.

Which is why when you ask "Do you have any mods", and they say "I opened up the exe in a hex editor and banged my head on the keyboard", you ask them to revert to backup. The same as any weirdness from any other types of modifications.