Skip to content

Dark Souls on PC

ShapiroKeatsDarkMageShapiroKeatsDarkMage Member Posts: 2,428
What do you think of the Steam version of Dark Souls? Does It have Good controls?

Comments

• BelleSorciereBelleSorciere Member Posts: 2,108
    edited April 2017
    I have a really hard time kicking but otherwise it's fine.

You'll want to check out dsfix probably.
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    You absolutely have to download Dsfix or the game is an unplayable mess. I also highly suggest checking out the Low-spec Gamer video on YouTube about the game, regardless of how powerful your rig is, and apply the settings in the DSfix config he shows at about the 3 minute mark, because the only way to get a smooth experience is to eliminate anti-aliasing completely. Do not try play it at 60 fps, as it will glitch out many ladders. All in all, PC is the best way to play, and you won't have the crippling console FPS issues. But you have to do some homework. And it goes without saying you need a controller.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    ^ Exactly, don't bother if you don't own a(n XBox) controller.
    Although, given how cheap this masterpiece of a game goes these days, it's totally worth it to buy both the game and a controller for what $50-ish
    I totally forgot to mention the need for a controller.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    Why is it that you need a controller so direly? Are the default controls too bad/you can't change the layout? Or is it just the amount of keys you have to press? Or the game doesn't work without a controller?
    edited April 2017
    The control scheme works best with a controller and very poorly without. While it's a good game it's still a console port.
    edited April 2017
    CrevsDaak said:

Why is it that you need a controller so direly? Are the default controls too bad/you can't change the layout? Or is it just the amount of keys you have to press? Or the game doesn't work without a controller?

The combat is Dark Souls is ridiculously deliberate. You don't make any more swings or dodges/rolls than you absolutely mean to because of the stamina mechanic. At the same time you are doing this as far as combat goes, you are also trying to manage your camera with the analog stick, and mastering the camera on some fights is just as important as anything else. I mean, is it POSSIBLE to play Dark Souls with a keyboard and mouse?? I suppose so, someone has beaten the game using a Rock Band Guitar as a controller. But it would be like eating a steak with your foot.
    edited April 2017
    Someone apparently beat Dark Souls 3 with ten bananas.
  • ShapiroKeatsDarkMageShapiroKeatsDarkMage Member Posts: 2,428
    Should i get DS2 then? I heard It is developed for PC better.
    I wouldn't buy any action rpg to play without a controller. Doesn't steam offer a 3 hour return window, though?
    DS2 needs the controller as much as DS does. So does DS3 for that matter.

You can request a refund for a game purchased on Steam within 14 days of purchase and if the game has been played for less than two hours.

• ArchaosArchaos Member Posts: 1,421
    Do yourself a favor and download DSfix and get a controller.

Rarely would you find a Japanese game that is optimized for PC.
    Even the developers of Dark Souls admitted that it was a risk porting it to PC, because they're inexperienced with the platform.

But I have it and it runs great with DSfix and my 360 controller. I don't have any complaints.
    Well, Dark Souls 2 is ABSOLUTELY better optimized for PC, it's better optimized than Dark Souls 3 for that matter. It's by far the best performing of the 3 on PC. There is nothing wrong with getting Dark Souls 2, it's personally my favorite, but skipping the first is missing possibly THE singular gaming experience of the past decade. Regardless of what Souls game you play, you need a controller. A $20 Logitech will suffice and you likely won't have to map it if you just plug it in.
  • ShapiroKeatsDarkMageShapiroKeatsDarkMage Member Posts: 2,428
    edited April 2017
    Archaos said:

Do yourself a favor and download DSfix and get a controller.

Rarely would you find a Japanese game that is optimized for PC.
    Even the developers of Dark Souls admitted that it was a risk porting it to PC, because they're inexperienced with the platform.

But I have it and it runs great with DSfix and my 360 controller. I don't have any complaints.

I know, because PC gaming in Japan has been ''deader than disco'' since the mid 90's. Which is kinda sad.

On a lighter note, i've found a fan-made Dark Souls compendium for 5th edition D&D.