Skip to content

Baldur's Gate names that mean things in other languages

2»

Comments

• MortiannaMortianna Member Posts: 1,356
    edited November 2012
    @WightSupremacist

Irenicus is from the Greek "eirēnikos," which means "of or concerning peace." A rather mild irony, given Jon Irenicus' biography.

Another form of the word, "eirenicon," is a term used in Literature/Rhetoric studies meaning "a proposition that attempts to harmonize conflicting viewpoints."

I also found a Wikipedia page in German about an early 16th century historian and humanist, Franz Friedlieb, who went by the byname (second name) Franciscus Irenicus. My German is nicht so gut, so I was only able to glean bits and pieces from the page.

Since Jon Irenicus is in many ways a "fallen humanist" (the writers of BG2 interpreted Irenicus to mean "The Shattered One"), I can see how there could be an intentional, yet distant, link between him and Friedlieb as well as the Greek origins of the word.
    Post edited by Mortianna on
  • ankhegankheg Member Posts: 546
    Borda (merchant near the xvart village) means rib (and some other things as well) in hungarian.
  • crawlkillcrawlkill Member Posts: 71

I always thought that "Dynaheir" was a really good name for an invoker - it has the same root as "dynamics, dynamite", etc. meaning "energy". And the "heir" suffix would seem to imply "one who inherits energy".

except that her name is spoken in voiceover and it's pronounced "heer" not "air"