Skip to content

Tarnor the only Half-Dwarf in BG

Does anyone know what are the rules for a half-dwarf?
These are his stats:

Race: Human
Appearance: Dwarf
Class: Fighter
Alignment: Neutral Evil
Str: 17
Dex: 16
Con: 9
Int: 10
Wis: 10
Cha: 10

Comments

• LadyEibhilinRhettLadyEibhilinRhett Member Posts: 1,078
    I imagine it would be similar to rules for a half-elf? i.e. no ability bonuses but gains limited versions of some dwarven racial abilities?
  • MilochMiloch Member Posts: 863
    There are a lot of race bugs in the unmodded game - this one was fixed by the fixpack to make him a dwarf (he has a dwarf soundset, looks like a dwarf etc.). As for half-dwarves, I don't know if there's any 2nd edition supplement that deals with them - they did some stuff with them in 3rd ed.
  • ankhegankheg Member Posts: 546
    I don't think it was a bug. If you click on the statute that summons him you can read "This statue is the representation of the half-dwarf Tarnor". So it could be itentional as there is no half-dwarf option among races. (as far is I know)
    Hmm, interesting...
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    I wouldn't be surprised if BioWare was planning on adding the race for BG2... I mean, they added Half-orc (Mulahey) anyway, so yeah, who knows! :P
  • JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    Half-dwarves are treated like taller dwarves.
    @Cheesebelly - I really doubt it. Half-dwarves are extremely rare, at least in the FR. I couldn't even find any references to them at all. They obviously exist, just not in any numbers to be a separate player race. Tarnor is obviously one of those rare exceptions. They are also sterile crossbreeds I believe (like mules) which is another reason for their rarity.
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    Well, think of it this way - Gorion in a Bhaalspawn super market.

Gorion : "Human, human, human, human. Sigh, this is a lost cause..."
    Random Harper : "Hey Gor, look what I've found!" *throws PC*
    Gorion : "Holy mother of god... it's A HALF DWARF!!! 8O "

But it's also true that if they are sterile, the Bhaal couldn't have had a Half-Dwarf child in the first place... it would make a plot hole. Ok, I see your point!
    Well, Bhaal can breed with anything, we all know that. :D But humans and dwarves can interbreed - it's just that *those* offspring cannot. Unlike half-elves, half-orcs etc. who are fertile.
  • ankhegankheg Member Posts: 546
    The closest thing I found: http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Dwelf
  • LordsDarkKnight185LordsDarkKnight185 Member Posts: 615
    ankheg said:
    Beat me to it, But yes that information is from dwarves deep (Though the word "Dwelf" is never used) and as it states, rule wise, just treat any half-dwarf (A dwarf mixed with any human or common demi-human) as a full-blooded dwarf.