Skip to content

Pricing?

I had a quick look for this and couldn't find anything surprisingly. With the previous EE games, the PC versions included the extra content, which justified the higher price of $20, and I was okay with that.

I didn't really think about it till a few days ago, though obviously the price of PST:EE remains the same as the others, $20 for PC and $10 on the mobile platforms.

Is there any reasoning for this?? I'm thinking maybe they could've thrown in the soundtrack for PC users.

Not trying to cause a troll thread here, just wondering if there is a justification to the higher price.

Comments

• GallengerGallenger Member Posts: 400
    edited April 2017
    My assumption would be:

They had to fiddle with this game a lot more than you would think because it's in a wonky version of the Infinity engine, and so they not only had to port the game into a different engine, but they had to try to get it un-wonked to some extent to work in that other engine as well. Which could mean anything from cutting out unnecessary workarounds, to adding new workarounds to who knows what.

It wasn't a simple copy + paste job.

Even if it was I'd pay 20$ just for the zoom function, new UI, and remastered sounds. Being a spell caster is TONS more satisfying now without having to click through several menus just to cast a spell.

If money is a huge concern then just wait for it to go on sale - it will eventually.
    Teflonmalcolmlolien
  • AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,524
    I think OP is wondering more about the reason for the price difference between PC and tablets than complaining about the price for the PC version per se.

The BG games had extra content on PC that had to be bought separately on tablets, thus bringing them to "price parity."
  • cmk24cmk24 Member Posts: 605
    These are the same prices they used for IWD:EE as well (pc and mobile versions exactly the same but different prices). I think the main reason it is cheaper on mobile is games priced above $10 don't sell well on the app stores (on average). They would rather take a cut on profit for higher sales numbers.
    taclane
  • WesboiWesboi Member Posts: 403
    Could just use Google rewards to pay for your games then it's "free" to an extent.
  • Excalibur_2102Excalibur_2102 Member Posts: 351
    Im not really disputing the $20, I think they did a great job on PST and think its worth the price and I've bought all the beamdog games day 1 just because I support what they are doing. Its just that its double the cost of what it is on the mobile platforms, when it is essentially the same game. Youre correct that they did it with IWDEE too.

Maybe its that I actually feel that the idea of buying the soundtrack for an extra $10 is a bit cheeky. Including that with the PC version would bring that "price parity" that @AndreaColombo spoke of between the platforms.
    taclane[Deleted User]
  • GreenWarlockGreenWarlock Member Posts: 1,354
    Partly, I think it is just pricing according to the platform. On the PC/Mac, $20 is a bargain-price game. On a tablet/phone store, $10 is still a premium game.

Personally, I am happy to pay the price for the convenience of a platform with a large screen, mouse, and keyboard. I enjoy the game much more in this format, and that is the experience I am prepared to pay more for. I suspect this a large part of the general price difference between PC/Mac and mobile platforms.

I have never understood the premium for consoles though, as that is a format I enjoy even less than the mobile platforms - but then, I have never invested in a console to persuade myself otherwise ;)
  • BelegCuthalionBelegCuthalion Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 453
    Its price marketing primarily - 20 for the game generally is okay, so a "serious" player will not be offended by that price, So this price can be taken.
    A casual gamer on a tablet or phone is used to prices like 1 dollar, and even if PST is worth more than 10 times that, it's unlikely to sell, even 10 is a big call on those platforms.

Nothing wrong about that, prices are a lot about psychology and expectations and individual value, not about true value of a product. With software, where selling another copy costs basically nothing at all, every additional sell is a win.

To me personally, the prices are about right, 20 for pc and my main platform is a no-brainer, and i consider the android license to be an "half-Upgrade" to my main license, allowing me to play there too.