Skip to content

Fiendish Creatures

Cavaliers get a +3 bonus to their hit and damage rolls against all fiendish and draconic cretaures.

What are fiendish creatures in BG games exactly?

Comments

• KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    'Fiend' is an umbrella term for baatezu (devils), tanar'ri (demons) and similar evil outsiders. Examples would be abishai, imps, succubi, pit fiends, mariliths, nabassu, rakshasa, and technically fallen devas as well.
  • SomeSortSomeSort Member Posts: 859
    edited April 2017
    Out of curiousity, does the bonus to draconic creatures apply to Kobolds, as well? (Not like you really need it, of course.)
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    No. AD&D's Kobolds are goblinoids, not reptilian humanoids related to dragons like in later editions.
  • StefanOStefanO Member Posts: 346
    @Kamigoroshi: Thank you.
  • DrakeICNDrakeICN Member Posts: 623
    How about the various forms of daemons you encounter? Imps are not very strong anyways and there is like two rakshasas in the game. This bonus does not seem terribly useful...
  • KuronaKurona Member Posts: 881
    DrakeICN said:

How about the various forms of daemons you encounter? Imps are not very strong anyways and there is like two rakshasas in the game. This bonus does not seem terribly useful...

They all count. So do cambions, alu-fiends and Ascension's Fallen Solars.

The bonus is probably as its most useful in BG1, against Aec'Letec. Still useful near the end of SoD and less so in BG2, though Balors can be met relatively early and are dangerous due to vorpal hits.
  • ArthasArthas Member Posts: 1,091
    Are we sure this bonus applies to all the creatures listed by Kamigoroshi? I'm almost sure it only affects demon and devils
  • NeverusedNeverused Member Posts: 803
    edited April 2017
    Kurona said:

They all count. So do cambions, alu-fiends and Ascension's Fallen Solars.

The bonus is probably as its most useful in BG1, against Aec'Letec. Still useful near the end of SoD and less so in BG2, though Balors can be met relatively early and are dangerous due to vorpal hits.

Really? I would call it the other way, that the bonus is most useful in BG2 due to the final fights with Joneleth, high level mages casting Gate, the Planar Sphere, the Planar Prison, even the final battles with Melissan has its own smattering of demonic creatures. And Watchers Keep in dead magic areas. An extra 4 damage per hit when using something like GWW or under Improved Haste can mean a lot in these scenarios.

Edit: when I wrote 4 damage, I was thinking about Ranger Favored Enemy bonus, not the Cavalier bonus.