Skip to content

PST:EE - Solo Run

I've just finished my first ever playthrough of Torment with the Enhanced Edition. Of course I now want to see if I can solo the game (obviously).

I played through my first run predominantly as a mage, however I suspect going fighter heavy would be more practical for a solo run. I'm thinking initially a high WIS/DEX/CON build would be most survivable in the early game, pushing up STR and CON, then INT and CHA. How about weapon choices? Go with blades for the awesome endgame sword or something else?

I intend to milk companions for their various EXP/Attribute awards but then will drop them off.

What would be the thoughts on a good solo build?
PibaroJuliusBorisovTeflon

Comments

• PibaroPibaro Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,989
    A solo fighter gives you enough proficiencies to grand master a couple of weapons, so you can get blades and something else (axes? Hammers? Fists?)
    Teflon
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    True. I hear fists are actually really good although I'm not too sure why.

Buildwise I'm thinking a Fighter 12 > Thief build would be a good option.
    Teflon
  • ElysianEchoesElysianEchoes Member Posts: 475

True. I hear fists are actually really good although I'm not too sure why.

Buildwise I'm thinking a Fighter 12 > Thief build would be a good option.

I love this idea. It's only 200k more experience to have fighter 12 thief 20 than just going fighter 20. Hope you chronicle your adventure here :)
  • QueegonQueegon Member Posts: 363
    edited April 2017
    The end game blade doesn't need to be a blade ;)
    It can transform to any type of weapon once. All have the same stats, just use diff. proficiency.

Decide whether you want to have a warrior or thief. Thief gets +2 extra luck, warrior has +3/2 APR over thief.

Both can easily get STR 25 and DEX for AC. I'd go with thief for a solo run just because you can run from a difficult fight (we are talking difficulty lv 5, right?) and hide in shadows, if needed. You can get some fighter levels for a thief, so he gets better THAC0.

As for the best weapon choice - hammer for a fighter, you get a good one very early from lady's maze, and a great one from Godsmen's vault. By the time you find better fists (Mark of the Savant and Umei Kahen) you'll be using Celestial Fire anyway. Punch Daggers of Zar'Anun are arguably on par with the hammer from Godsmen's stash and both can be obtained at roughly the same time.

Just be SURE to stay lawful good for a solo run, otherwise you miss on +2 CON, +3 STR, +3 DMG and the Celestial Fire.
    Teflon
    Queegon said:

We're thinking of different end game weapons.

Queegon said:

We're thinking of different end game weapons.
    If you are talking about the sword from Coaxmetal, then know it's worse than Celestial Fire for a fighter. And still worse, but not as much as for fighter, for thief.
    Celestial Fire is a blade, no?
    Celestial Fire is originally an unequippable blade that can be used from inventory upon obtaining it.

Then you choose through a dialogue what type of weapon you want it to become. All are possible.
    OK cool. I had assumed only the Coaxmetal weapon was changeable - not being lawful good on my only playthrough. Good to know!
  • SethDavisSethDavis Member Posts: 1,812
    maxing out con and using The Justifier would pretty much make it a walk in the park I think.
  • AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,524
    edited April 2017
    Queegon said:

Celestial Fire is originally an unequippable blade that can be used from inventory upon obtaining it.

Then you choose through a dialogue what type of weapon you want it to become. All are possible.

The caveat is that you need to

kill Trias

to get it, which nets you less XP than

redeeming him

and also makes a worse tattoo available.

Besides, even if you keep it a blade, it still doesn't look like a blue flaming sword in the hands of TNO, which I think is unfair XD
    edited April 2017
    @AndreaColombo Maybe in vanilla, in EE, however, all choices give you the same 375k XP. The vanilla loophole of redeeming for 375k and letting Vhailor kill him anyway for ANOTHER 375k is gone from EE.
    Plus at this point of the game you are already long at 25 wis making the better tattoo obsolete. If not, you are doing something wrong.
  • ReibornReiborn Member Posts: 156
    1. you want heavy CON, there are far too many enemies which will 1 hit kill a mage.
    2. There are plenty of fights you can avoid via dialog, make sure you got the correct stats.
    3. plenty of battle can be avoided with running away.
    4. 1 character means limited inventory so you cannot keep all those juicy plot items in your inventory.
    5. if you solo you miss companions dialogs which reveal plot line and add new abilities and spells.
    6. also note maybe thief with stealth might be best when you think about it.
  • GrimLefourbeGrimLefourbe Member Posts: 637
    @Queegon Well, I definitely was able to get the blade while redeeming though I don't think I got the Exp twice. I think I ended up with the redeem tattoo too.
    AndreaColombo
  • AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,524
    @Queegon - I don't want the tattoo for the +2 WIS; I want it for the +1 Luck ;)
    edited April 2017
    You kill Trias, you get the blade, 375k, Betrayer tattoo
    You redeem Trias, you don't get blade, you get 375k, Redeemer tattoo
    You redeem Trias, Vhailor objects and kills him anyway, you get 375k, blade and no tattoo.

@GrimLefourbe If you redeemed him without Vhailor in party and got the blade, then there's something shady going on. Getting XP twice only applied to vanilla PS:T.
  • GrimLefourbeGrimLefourbe Member Posts: 637
    @Queegon I was in your 3rd case but I think I got a tatto anyway though i'm not sure and i'll check next time I play through that part.