Skip to content

What is the lowest item-based AC you have had?

ARKdeEREHARKdeEREH Member Posts: 531
Questions:

1.) What is the lowest armor class you have had without the use of spells (as in you didn't need to cast spells to make it lower)?

2.) What items did you use?

3.) What armor class do you normally play on (after you have access to high-end items)? If it is lower than the highest you have had, why?

My answers:

1.) -20

2.) Drow Full Plate +5, Ring of Gaxx x2 (from 2 playthroughs), Darksteel Shield +4, Axe of the Unyielding +5, and the Gauntlets of Dexterity

3.) -11; because I prefer armor that allows me to cast mage spells and I also prefer wielding an offhand weapon

Comments

• MungriMungri Member Posts: 1,645
    A full plate of whatever is no different, and actually better than my feeble spirit armor!
  • bbearbbear Member Posts: 1,180
    edited November 2012
    I've seen -26 before (yea! It was in a mod that has "final fantasy" items.)

I think the Big Metal Suit in ToB gives you -20 AC. You need 3 pantaloons for that equipment package.

For your list above, you miss the amulet of the master harper for 3 AC bonus (thief and bard only).
    Post edited by bbear on
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    edited November 2012
    -23, without shield.
    I didn't have the save file so I had to super quickly cheat it with Shadow Keeper. But it is 100% possible, should have been something like this, I am sure :)

I could have gone with a shield for even better AC, but naaah, who cares :P

Thief abilities active in-game, 10 APR with Improved Haste from Ring of Gaxx. I say this is awesome enough ;)
    (It could have gone even lower with the monk Bracers which lower AC by one)

edit : I think I also had Agruvandal in my inventory... but I could be wrong. I definitely had a +5 weapon :P
  • ryuken87ryuken87 Member Posts: 563
    1) -27 I think and you'll be hard pushed to get it much higher.

AC is capped at -20 + dex modifier + single weapon style modifier + specific weapon type protection (e.g. vs slashing).

2) Any combination of equipment can do it easily with a Swashbuckler. But to get that extra point from 21 dex use something like Shurupak's Plate or however you spell it.

3) Realistically I wouldn't concentrate on AC that late in the game. I would rather wear Jansen Adventurewear for the damage resistance than an AC boosting armour. Plus the armour is stylish.
    Damage resistance always takes my priority, but I'd rather do it with someone like Minsc (Defender of Easthaven, Hardiness and Armor of Faith) - he usually is the main tank of my party, if the PC isn't a Fighter/Cleric himself. For thieves I tend to go on AC rather than Damage Resistance, especially with Evasion in the lines. A mage or bard usually doesn't need much more than Tenser's Transformation though. (Blade with Defensive Spin and Tenser Transformation stacks? I can't recall XD )
  • VedwintheTyrantVedwintheTyrant Member Posts: 50
    Doesn't AC hard cap at -10?
  • VedwintheTyrantVedwintheTyrant Member Posts: 50
    edited November 2012
    That is to say I think I read somewhere that the game displays lower values but when it calculates to-hit the lowest AC it allows is -10.
    I'm pretty sure it should be -20, as a difference between -10 or -15 can be noticed (but only in SoA, enemies in ToB tend to have like -20 THAC0 anyway >.< )
  • ARKdeEREHARKdeEREH Member Posts: 531
    @VedwintheTyrant I don't think so. My PC had -11 AC in a recent battle and I had him start using a shield part way through that changed his AC to -16. He took considerably less damage after that, although the number of opponents remained the same.
  • MechaliburMechalibur Member Posts: 265

Doesn't AC hard cap at -10?

I believe this was the rule in the original AD&D rules. It may have been true in the first Baldur's Gate as well, but I'm not certain.