Skip to content

Spell descriptions inconsistency, is this normal?

While I was editing wikia, I happen to find that some of my spell descriptions differ from others even we’re using the same 2.3 version.

Creep Doom is one of these examples:
Wikia states “When the caster utters the spell Creeping Doom, he calls forth a horde of venomous, biting and stinging arachnids, insects, and myriapods. This carpet-like mass swarms over a large area, spreading to all creatures within 30 ft. of the target. Those trapped by the insects suffer 2 points of damage each second and a spell failure rate of 100%. For each round the victim remains inside the cloud, he must make a Save vs. Spell at -2 or run away in fear for one round. The advantage of Creeping Doom over the 5th-level counterpart Insect Plague is that it does twice as much damage in half the amount of time.
Which is roughly the same as Adventure’s Guide.

Mine is “When the caster utters the spell Creeping Doom, he calls forth a horde of venomous biting and stinging arachnids, insects, and myriapods. This carpet-like mass swarms over a large area, spreading to all creatures within 30 feet of the target. Invisibility is no protection.
For the duration of the spell, those affected fight with a -2 penalty to attack rolls and armor class. In addition, each round, the victims suffer 2d6 points of damage from insect bites, have a 100% chance of spell failure, and must make saving throws vs. death at -2 or run away in fear. If a successful save vs. breath at -6 is made, the target manages to avoid most of the swarm, reducing damage from bites by half and completely negating the spell failure penalty.

Could someone tell me how to test this spell?

Find Familiar is another:
Wikia states ”Quasit
– Hit Points: 12
– Armor Class: 4
– Magic Resistance: 15%
– Combat: 2 attacks per round at 15 THAC0 for 1d3 damage

Mine is “Quasit
– Hit Points: 24
– Armor Class: 2
– Magic Resistance: 25%
– Combat: 3 attacks per round at 13 THAC0 for 1d6 damage

In fact, not only Quasit, all other familiars are “upgraded” versions, and I’ve test them in actual game play, they stay true to their descriptions.

My only guess is that there’re some mods modifying those spells I’m not aware of, I do have SCS installed but I didn’t check any spell tweaks, or maybe some spell functions have been changed by patches. Thoughts?

Comments

• islandkingislandking Member Posts: 426
    edited April 2017
    Ok, further test results:
    BGEE Fairy Dragon 12HP--true to everybody's description
    BG2EESoA Fairy Dragon 24HP--true to my BG2EE description
    BG2EEToB Fairy Dragon 48HP--nothing is true, doubleHP is permitted

The more I test, the more I wonder where do I get these descriptions, can anyone playing SCS confirm this?

Edit: first Creep Doom description is correct in actual game play, it's always save vs. spell for the duration, not vs. death or breath.
    Post edited by islandking on
    Looks like I did check a spell tweak box:
    "Insect Plague and Creeping Doom are very hard indeed for a spellcaster to deal with or defend against. This component (which was partly inspired by Demivrgvs's Spell Revisions) grants a per-round saving throw against the spell-failure effects of the insects; it also cause the insects to be destroyed if the target protects himself/herself with a Fire Shield spell (either colour) or Aura of Flaming Death spell."

But that still can't explain the Find Familiar case...
  • WatchForWolvesWatchForWolves Member Posts: 183
    Well, the Find Familiar differences are likely for balance reasons. Summoning a 24HP familiar in front of Candlekeep Inn in BG:EE would triple your HP, not to mention their combat prowess.
  • QuickbladeQuickblade Member Posts: 957
    edited April 2017

Summoning a 24HP familiar in front of Candlekeep Inn in BG:EE would triple your HP, not to mention their combat prowess.

"Look out, he's got a FERRET! RUN FOR YOUR LIVES!!!"
    @Quickblade :) I think I read something similar, it's in the Black Pits when party meet the beholder, a dialogue option will be like "Giant eyes, everybody, run, run for your lifes!" and when you meet the mind flayer, "Look out a illithid! Duck and cover your heads!"

Anyways, could somebody playing unmoded v2.3 confirm Familiars' in-game stats and descriptions in BGEE, BG2EESoA and BG2EEToB?
    Quasit in my case has a FAMQUAS file in BGEE indicating its actual stats (12HP), and there're FAMQUAS (24HP) & FAMQUA25 (48HP) in BG2EE
    But I don't know if FAMQUA25 is a moded file, don't want to put further moded contents I'm not aware of in wikia anymore :|