Skip to content

I think I've been spoiled by Planescape:Torment.

themazingnessthemazingness Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 702
So I have this problem with RPGs. Every time I play an amazing one, I have a hard time getting into the next one. And I have this huge library of RPGs I haven't gotten around to finishing or even starting.

This last happened after I finished the Gold Box Pool of Radiance. I tried Hillsfar and Curse of the Azure Bonds, but I just couldn't get into them. I'm sure Azure Bonds is awesome, even if it isn't as good so I'll be coming back to it. I decided Hillsfar is fine to pass over. It was just too cheesy for me. In the same pass I tried some to see if D&D in a different form would help. But I couldn't get into Dragonshard or Demon Stone.

I finally got out of my funk by playing Siege of Dragonspear. It was awesome gameplay. So I was about to go on to BG2 which I never played before. And then PST:EE came out. I started playing, and I was hooked. I didn't have the usual crash and burn since I transitioned from Dragonspear to Planescape:Torment.

The only problem--this is the best RPG I've ever played and now I don't have the attention span when I try to start another one. I tried BG2: Black Pits (because that's how I started my BG1 run), and I wasn't satisfied. I tried a couple of NWN persistent worlds and about gagged on how slow the combat was and how annoying the controls/interface were. I wanted my Infinity Engine back! That and I wanted some good mobs and a full party.

I think I might have a solution. I got through most of the beginning of Baldur's Gate 2 now (not the Black Pits). But still, I miss my quirky characters and excellent plot.

Anybody else feel like once they have the best RPG everything else just feels weak? I have a bunch of D&D and 16-bit era RPGs on my to-play list, and Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, but none seem to be satisfactory after Planescape: Torment.

dockaboomskiTeflonAndreaColombosparkleav

Comments

• dockaboomskidockaboomski Member Posts: 440
    Absolutely do Knights of the Old Republic, especially the second one. I've played a lot of good games that aren't necessarily similar to Planescape mechanically or similar at all, but I really enjoyed, particularly Off and Silent Hill 2, both of which challenged Planescape's place for a minute, until I started it back up. Dragon Age: Origins is kind of mechanically similar to the Infinity Engine and has some pretty unique party members, and I really had fun with that too.

The way I've dealt with it is just accept that whatever you play won't be as good, even though that may sound depressing. Just making sure that you don't let something really good cast a shadow over something else that is really good is the most important part. If Planescape ruins other video games for you, maybe it really isn't as good as it seems!
    themazingnessTeflon
  • ReibornReiborn Member Posts: 156
    KOTOR 1 is must. KOTOR 2 is masterpiece (use restoration mod).

Highly recommend NWN2 original campaign and it's continuation > Mask of teh Betrayer.

If you missed it then the original NWN Shadows of Undrentide is the first part of long campaign which continue in Hordes of the Underdark... utter awesomeness from level 1 and low level adventure to Epic levels with gods and whatnot...
    themazingnessTeflonbatoorMirandel
  • TeflonTeflon Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 515
    Talking about side effect, I have seen many suffering the symptoms you confessed. ;) including me.
    @themazingness I agree with you. Fortunately I met PS:T after BG1 and BG2 :D
    And BG1 was cool, gave me feelings that I play Tabletalk rpg with my computer DM.
    themazingnessAndreaColombo
  • GallengerGallenger Member Posts: 400
    The way to approach these sorts of highs, is to just play the game again, immediately, with some other goal in mind. Maybe play evil this time. Or try to be as lawful/chaotic as possible. You have to drop 2 of the NPCs throughout the game, drop somebody different this time.

Etc etc, eventually you'll burn out and be ready to play something new and you'll give Torment a long enough break before you replay it, that you'll forget lots and lots of stuff, and allow yourself to wake up on the slab fresh and new :D
    TeflonthemazingnessSkatan
  • karl_maulderkarl_maulder Member Posts: 133
    edited April 2017
    @themazingness Personally, i would recommend playing KotOR first. I know the majority of the RPG community often prefer sequels (Fallout 2 and KotOR2 as an example), but i actually find the first one superior to the sequal, which i frankly think is incomplete, buggy and anticlimatic. It's still a good game though, don't get me wrong is definitely a good game.

I don't know if you've tried Bloodlines? but if you havn't, you should. And if you can manage very, very old 3d graphics, i would suggest Anachronox, and Deus Ex. If you're in to turn-based combat games with minor RPG elements, then i also recommend Silent Storm, ToEE and Black Guards. Other great RPGs are Fallout (the best RPG of all time), and New Vegas. (Never been a fan of Fallout 2 which i dislike)
    Teflon
  • AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,524
    Teflon said:

BG1 was cool, gave me feelings that I play Tabletalk rpg with my computer DM.

I hocked my brains for ages trying to figure out what made BG1 so special besides the nostalgia kicks it gives me, and I eventually came to the very same conclusion: It feels a lot like the tabletop game. The same is true, perhaps to a slightly lesser extent, of BG2.

Even the low-resolution graphics play a role in this, as they provide my mind's eye with a framework it can fill with its own details, much like it does (or, well, did) when playing tabletop.
    Teflon[Deleted User]
  • QueegonQueegon Member Posts: 363
    You know what would be cool? If someone took the time (helluva time) and ported PS:T into NWN2 engine same way they did BG in the past.
    Oh my, I'm salivating over the thought.
    Teflon
  • themazingnessthemazingness Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 702
    Queegon said:

You know what would be cool? If someone took the time (helluva time) and ported PS:T into NWN2 engine same way they did BG in the past.
    Oh my, I'm salivating over the thought.

I'm curious, how does this work party/combat-wise?
    Teflon
    Gallenger said:

The way to approach these sorts of highs, is to just play the game again, immediately, with some other goal in mind. Maybe play evil this time. Or try to be as lawful/chaotic as possible. You have to drop 2 of the NPCs throughout the game, drop somebody different this time.

Etc etc, eventually you'll burn out and be ready to play something new and you'll give Torment a long enough break before you replay it, that you'll forget lots and lots of stuff, and allow yourself to wake up on the slab fresh and new :D

I keep debating another run or even leveling up in undersigil to get my 8th and 9th level spells. The thing holding me back is I wanted to play my second time with unfinished business on PST:EE if it is ever done.
    Teflon
    @themazingness Look up any video really, like this one
    themazingness
  • ElysianEchoesElysianEchoes Member Posts: 475
    Divinity: Original Sin is my recommendation for you. I hear ya, though. After Tera Online, I simply haven't been able to get into any other MMORPG. The combat spoiled me. I've never enjoyed any of the Final Fantasy games more than VI, and gave up on following the series. I almost feel like we should get alimony from the game companies lol.

It's like Fae Food. It is said if mortals eat food from the Fae, they are unable to ever eat normal food again as it simply cannot compare, and so are doomed to die of starvation unless they remain in the Fae lands to be toyed with for the rest of their lives.

PS:T is very delicious, indeed . . . .
    SkatanQueegonTeflonthemazingness
  • SethDavisSethDavis Member Posts: 1,812
    If you've got the console for it I recommend Nier (the older one, the new one is fun but not quite what you're after).

While working on pst I discovered that the story and characters of Nier are basically pst dialed up to 11.

The gameplay isn't at all similar, but it should shake itself up enough to keep you interested if a more hack and slash approach to combat isn't your thing.
    Teflonmegamike15
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    Playing torment actually gives me more inspiration to create characters in other games <3
    Teflon
    DJKajuru said:

Playing torment actually gives me more inspiration to create characters in other games <3</p>

game: Choose race: hooman, hobbit, knife-ear, hobbit with beard
    you: I choose githyanki's floating skull inhabited by restless spirit. Also I can't die.
    game: ...
    themazingnessElysianEchoes
  • VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,456
    I played Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask of the Betrayer into the Baldur's Gate Trilogy into Planescape: Torment and just finished Knights of the Old Republic II.

Little did I know I would play my four favorite games all back to back XD

I feel your feels exactly.
    themazingness
    Queegon said:

DJKajuru said:

Playing torment actually gives me more inspiration to create characters in other games <3</p>

you: I choose githyanki's floating skull inhabited by restless spirit. Also I can't die.
    That's actually half the problem right now. I just got to Chapter 2 of BG2, and I'm like "my characters feel so normal. Somebody give me a benevolent beholder with an existential crisis or something." Instead I'm on a damsel-in-distress chase for the one character in my party (who was taken away) whose story just started to get interesting. If only Boo could be an actual character in combat. Charname is Bhaalspawn, but she's still too normal. And instead the weirdest thing going on is I'm in the slums and they need 20,000 gp. While Irenicus, Imoen, and the inhabitants of Athkatla are all interesting, it just isn't as interesting as the center of the multiverse governed by a lady who probably is six giant squirrels with control issues, and whose world is literally shaped by philosophy.
    ElysianEchoes

Queegon said:

DJKajuru said:

That's actually half the problem right now. I just got to Chapter 2 of BG2, and I'm like "my characters feel so normal. Somebody give me a benevolent beholder with an existential crisis or something." Instead I'm on a damsel-in-distress chase for the one character in my party (who was taken away) whose story just started to get interesting. If only Boo could be an actual character in combat. Charname is Bhaalspawn, but she's still too normal. And instead the weirdest thing going on is I'm in the slums and they need 20,000 gp. While Irenicus, Imoen, and the inhabitants of Athkatla are all interesting, it just isn't as interesting as the center of the multiverse governed by a lady who probably is six giant squirrels with control issues, and whose world is literally shaped by philosophy.

Queegon said:

DJKajuru said:

Somebody give me a benevolent beholder with an existential crisis or something.
    Funny you should mention exactly that...

tbone1Teflon
    edited April 2017
    Queegon said:

Something to look forward to? I'm guessing not a beholder party member :disappointed:.

• ValamirCleaverValamirCleaver Member Posts: 184
    I know it's already been mentioned, but I'm going to repeat it, NWN2 & Baldur's Gate Reloaded. There's a remakes of Icewind Dale, Pool of Radiance Remastered and Temple of Elemental Evil Revisited too. I also happen to like Red Hand of Doom, White Plume Mountain, Harp & Chrysanthemum, Wulverheim and Tragedy in Tragidor.
    themazingness
  • WatchForWolvesWatchForWolves Member Posts: 183

Well, if you played BG games for their story or interesting game world then I'm afraid you were doing it wrong from the beginning. These were always essentially dungeon crawlers doing very good job pretending they're not dungeon crawlers.

PS:T is not an ideal either. For its amazing story/writing it pays the price of being very unflexible. Not only it is a rather linear game to begin with, there is also basically only one way to play it. You want to pump WIS, INT and CHA, and then lack of physical combat skills will push you into a role of a mage. Not increasing these stats is just not worth it - you will miss out on about a quarter of content this way. It's not even like Fallout, where creating a dumb character is hilarious as wherever you're trying to talk to anyone you can only manage grunts and caveman-speak. In PS:T no INT simply means no dialogue options open, no WIS simply means no memories, and so on; there is just no reason whatsoever to not get them, it's not a trade-off, it's do-you-want-content-or-not. So every PS:T game is the same WIS, INT and CHA mage-TNO game. At best you can rotate few party members, but there's so few of them that the variance is pretty limited either way.

As for the setting, it's again limited by the contraints of the game's story. "center of the multiverse governed by a lady who probably is six giant squirrels with control issues, and whose world is literally shaped by philosophy" is a nice idea to think about, but in practice it boils down to you getting Mazed if you piss off the Lady of Pain once, and accidentally creating Adahn if you play pretend him too much.
    Teflon

Queegon said:

Something to look forward to? I'm guessing not a beholder party member :disappointed:.

So I'm doing the beholder cult right now, and I'm loving it. I can see so far how close I was--a beholder being worshipped and an avatar with an existential crisis. Close enough! Though I'd still love a beholder party member. I guess I'll just have to be happy with my miniature giant space hamster.
    ValamirCleaver

Queegon said:

Later on you'll get even closer to your prediction.
    Vallmyr
  • The_CheesemanThe_Cheeseman Member Posts: 175
    Queegon said:

Queegon said:

I love the Spectator, one of the best encounters in the game, in my opinion.
  • jsavingjsaving Member Posts: 1,083
    Planescape: Torment is the absolute pinnacle of RPGs if you enjoy a compelling narrative and aren't too concerned about well-balanced combat. There is nowhere else you can turn to get that exact mix so sure, it is natural to feel a bit down that more RPGs aren't at a similar level.

But if you can broaden your horizons to appreciate other aspects of these kinds of games, then there are other very solid choices. Icewind Dale is a nice dungeon-based game, though there's very little role-playing to be done in it; Temple of Elemental Evil is probably the single best tactical-combat game of this type, though its scope is limited; while BG and especially BG2 are strong in all of these areas though not necessarily "best" at any of them.

Broadening your horizons a bit more, you can consider Pillars of Eternity 1 and 2, which are strong modern successors to the IE era, or maybe Kingmaker now that some of its bugs have been worked out. You could also take a look at the original Fallout 1 or Knights of the Old Republic, which have a lot of similarities in spirit to the old IE games and certainly have strong role-playing elements even though both have dated graphics/interfaces and are in need of an EE-style refreshing.

If you're willing to consider games with less role playing and a bit more of a Diablo flavor, you could consider D:OS and D:OS2, which sold way better than any of the games listed above and offer a faster-paced alternative to IE-type products.
  • MirandelMirandel Member Posts: 526
    Try Pillars of Eternity. There is nothing normal about the plot or at least half of the companions:)
    edited November 2018

Queegon said:

Queegon said:

I love the Spectator, one of the best encounters in the game, in my opinion.
    Somebody likes Necromancy lol. (This post thread was necroed.)

As for other games, I've gotten back into Dungeons and Dragons Online lately. I really like the Ravenloft expansion they came out with at the end of last year. White Plume Mountain is great too.

As for classic games, I recently installed Forgotten Realms: Unlimited Adventures (the Gold Box game like Neverwinter Nights as in it was made so people could make their own D&D cRPGs). I downloaded a couple of Planescape modules based on PnP games: Khin Oin and Dead Gods. I'm not sure about Dead Gods yet (haven't opened it), but Khin Oin is awesome. It reminds me a bit of Eberron since so far it is basically fiends and vikings (Eberron, at least DDO, has a ton of devils/demons and pirates). For the module it is pretty cool to have the vikings because the Grey Wastes have Norse mythology influence, but I'm kind of glad Planescape:Torment didn't have this since it gives the game more of a pulp fiction feel.
    The best thing about playing a custom module in a really old computer game is there is no tips, maps, etc. It's like playing a PC game in the 80s and early 90s when you couldn't look up where to go on in the game using the internet.
    tbone1