Skip to content

Is installing the tactics mod for BG2:EE just asking for trouble? Plus some opinions on mods and EE.

LuddifierLuddifier Member Posts: 5
edited May 2017 in BGII:EE Mods
I have just discarded my latest playthrough of BG2:EE for a number of reasons. However, in that playthrough I opted to NOT install the tactics mod since I just installed mods in my latest playthrough with the aid of Big World Setup and the whole mod was marked red due to it overwriting files instead of patching.

I wonder though, since the mod is placed in a proper install order, if it is possible to install the mod and attain somewhat successfull results. The thing is I really like to create very powerful characters, and balance the game accordingly to have truly memorable showdowns, I really loved the "improved Irenicus" component of sword coast stratagems that was extracted from tactics but subsequentially removed.

I did encounter some bugs, but I solved almost all of them through shadowkeeper or the console. I did have a previous playthrough where I mistakenly installed both Dearnise romance and NPC strongholds which provided a bug I was unable to solve and had to scrap that playthrough.

In my latest playthrough I installed almost all the "recommended" mods of the BWS, and I have to say I am not a fan of NPC mods. It is hard enough to give space and time to the existing Bioware NPCs which are all well fleshed out characters, but many of the mod NPCs AND the enhanced edition characters are pretty poorly implemented to the point of feeling obnoxious and forceful.

I tried the Kivan mod, but the way Kivan just appears felt really weird to me, and I told him to take a hike, and subsequentially never installed the mod. I also installed Angelo, but I feel that clings false as well and doesn't really feel like the Angelo from BG1. The ONE mod npc I have accepted so far is Keto, which seems to be on just the right "tone" and level of immersion that an NPC should be in BG2. I think Neera is a decent npc from EE, but I don't like Dorn or Hexxat at all. I ignored Rasaad in BG1 but might give him a shot in BG2, but on my next install Dorn, Hexxat and pretty much all mod npcs will be ignored, I will even install mods that give me the Dorn's and Hexxat's items but disable them as companions.

But to get back on point, is the tactics mod feasible with essentially all the recommended mods from BWS, plus most of the Sword Coast STratagems options? Or am I just asking for trouble and another uninstall?

Note: Two other reasons for not enjoying the playthrough was that I modded the game to romance Aerie, Jaheira and Viconia as a woman as well as me not enjoying the sloooow leveling of being a fighter/mage/cleric. I was very curious on the Imoen romance mod, but I will admit it felt somewhat forced so will skip it in the next playthrough.