Skip to content

Ranged Weapons - effect of range on THAC0 / damage? Also spotting?

Hi, I've been looking a bit more into the mechanics of ranged weapons recently, and am unsure about some aspects. In a previous thread (this one: http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/6468/str-damage-bonus-for-thrown-weapons#latest) I've asked about the effects of strength on thrown weapon damage.

I'm also unsure of the effect of range on THAC0 (and perhaps damage, for some?). Many ranged weapons have a range greater than sight, so I was wondering if there is a bonus THAC0 for some ranged weapons when used quite close to an enemy - e.g does firing a composite or longbow at, say, range 10, give you a better THAC0 than firing at maximum sight range (it should, I shoot a bow IRL and its a damn sight easier to hit something at 20m than 60m...) or once you reach sight range or maximum range (whichever is less) of a ranged weapon, does THAC0 remain constant? Does damage also remain constant?

Lastly, most bows have a range or 100, which is more than sight range, is it possible to fire them at this range with a "spotter" (e.g. a hidden familiar)? I've not got this to work, but perhaps its possible?

Just trying to think of some ways to maximise effectives of ranged weapons...

Comments

• ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    There are no range-related effects on thac0 or damage, and afaik the current engine can't be made to differentiate between various distances with anything other than an all-or-nothing (in range or out of range) outcome.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    edited November 2012
    That's partly because the game's use of "sight range" pretty much extends only as far as you'd be able to shoot your weapon without penalties anyway (I think it's 60 feet). Since you can't attack a creature that you can't see, no character can attack beyond his range of sight--if you direct someone to attack something farther away, they'll move close enough to see the target before attacking.
  • Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729
    @Shin and @Aosaw - so it sounds like:

a) range makes no difference to THAC0 (nor damage)

b) the max range of everything which has a range >=60 is 60 (i.e. all bows and crossbows)

c) range really only affects weapons with a range <60 i.e. sling (40), throwing dagger (30), darts (20)

d) you can't use another character or familiar to "spot" for you (at least not for ranged weapons, I think you might be able to do this for some spells)

BTW does anyone know what the range of Melf's Minute Meteors are? The spell description gives "self" as range, because they're created items, but they must have a range. I'd guess similar to daggers or darts. Also, is there any proficiency for using Melf's Minute Meteors? If not what's their THAC0 compared to normal?
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    The minute meteors have a range of 270 and aren't attached to any weapon proficiency. They come with a +5 hitroll bonus though.

Haven't experimented with this, but it's possible that if you change the target of a ranged weapon from "living actor" to "any point within range" you would be able to utilize the full range of it (such as with the un-nerfed dimension door spell). But then, you would also miss targets if they moved while you fired.
    Shin said:

The minute meteors have a range of 270 and aren't attached to any weapon proficiency. They come with a +5 hitroll bonus though.

For a fighter/mage what would the net THAC0 bonus be when taking into account no proficiency, would it be +4?
    Shin said:

Haven't experimented with this, but it's possible that if you change the target of a ranged weapon from "living actor" to "any point within range" you would be able to utilize the full range of it (such as with the un-nerfed dimension door spell). But then, you would also miss targets if they moved while you fired.

Probably best to stick with the normal sight range of 60, which is further than many ranged spells anyway.

They should be great for fighter/mages, as the weight is less of an issue because you will usually have higher strength than a straight mage and your THAC0 will likely be good too.
  • CamDawgCamDawg Member, Developer Posts: 3,438
    Default visual range is 30'.

Items without proficiency (such as MMM) have no non-proficiency penalties, so your fighter-mage (or mage, cleric-mage, etc.) would get a straight +5 to hit.
    CamDawg said:

Items without proficiency (such as MMM) have no non-proficiency penalties, so your fighter-mage (or mage, cleric-mage, etc.) would get a straight +5 to hit.

Great! :-)

CamDawg said:

Does that mean the effective range for pretty much all missile weapons (apart from darts) is "30"?
  • CamDawgCamDawg Member, Developer Posts: 3,438
    As a maximum, yes. You could conceivably create a bow that only shoots 10'.