Skip to content

baldurs gate isn't great for playing evil characters. what mods can make things better?

I know about the assassinations quest mod designed to make BGIIs side more evil, and about the unbiased quest reward compnent of atweaks, and about some other mod that gives low reputation discounts with specific merchants.

What have I missed?

Comments

• NuinNuin Member Posts: 451
    edited May 2017
    Summoning demons to wipe out the townsfolk so you can get their loot seems pretty evil to me, though admittedly I never got the point of evil as a "must-do-evil-things" compulsion or as some kind of club that requires you to do outwardly evil acts to be a member of.

The very worst evils are never like that, and all outwardly evil folk always end up dead or in the nuthouse or something. Even imaginary D&D worlds are not a big fan of extremes.
  • ArunsunArunsun Member Posts: 1,592
    It would probably not make much sense to play the outright evil guy that kills everyone for pleasure. If you are going to roleplay that, well, you'll probably end up dead to reputation traps by the time you reach Nashkel. That would be the Chaotic Evil/Neutral Evil Alignment combined with low wisdom. A CE/NE alignment that is smart will somehow hide his tendencies. Just look at the three villains. Sarevok is CE but doesn't go officially CE to everyone till the last bits of the game, same goes for ToB's final boss, but it's in fear of the Bhaalspawns rather than law or any official organization. Only SoA's villain proves to be outright evil and not care about law or anything at all, but he is one of the top 5 spellcasters in the realms and thus the "law" is afraid if him more than the other way around.
    A LE character will not kill everyone on his way, he would probably only be the guy that always asks for more reward or and occasionally, but not necessarily, kill the person in front of him if allowed to do so or if no one's aware of it.

So at least until you reach a rather high level (which you do in SoA) IMHO it does not make much sense to play as an Evil character that doesn't care about law. Well of course you could cheese the game and deal with the reputation traps etc... But if you do then it means you do not care about role-playing.

Of course this is only my opinion.
  • fatelessfateless Member Posts: 330
    Evil and Mayhem are two different things that most people don't seem to separate. It's easy to play evil and have your reputation go up more slowly. You can skip certain quests that don't get you anything. You can demand up front payments and more for your work and such.
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    Definitely true that evil, even Chaotic Evil, rarely just equates raging psychopathic maniac. Tons of evil people around in the lore, and somehow they still manage NOT to cause a minor genocide every time they step into town.
  • unavailableunavailable Member Posts: 268
    Okay, so if we're done philosophizing, does anyone know of any mods similar to what I've described?
  • AmmarAmmar Member Posts: 1,297

Okay, so if we're done philosophizing, does anyone know of any mods similar to what I've described?

But you have not really described anything but convenience tweaks.

What type of activities should the mod support for evil characters in your mind?
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    @Ammar - the OP did mention an assassinations quest mod, not just convenience tweaks. I therefore guess that what he wants is mods which add more Evil-aligned quests and more Evil solutions to existing quests.

Personally, I find enough existing quests with Evil solutions for a high-REP smart-Evil run to work well.

However, for a low-REP crazy-Evil run, there aren't many obviously-attractive quests. On the other hand, I reckon the design intention is that crazy-Evil protagonists would spend their time on general kill-'em-all mayhem rather than questing.
  • Mantis37Mantis37 Member Posts: 1,174
    Many options inside expansion mods e.g.:

Quest Pack has some alternative evil options.
    Evil NPCs e.g. Kido often have eeevil quests. Valen was exceptional in this regard.
    NPC Strongholds lets Edwin abuse the mage stronghold.
    Longer Road lets you give away the souls of other Bhaalspawn.