Skip to content

Pathfinder CRPG announced, "Narrative Design by Chris Avellone"

VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,457
Looks cool? I played A LOT of Pathfinder before I moved on to 5e D&D so I'm in.
https://owlcatgames.com/
FinneousPJAerakarKamigoroshiGusindaCrevsDaakkanisathaShapiroKeatsDarkMageNonnahswriterGrammarsalad

Comments

• Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806
    Interesting! I never played PnP Pathfinder, but I did like the Pathfinder comics I got when they were a Humble Book Bundle some time ago.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    I have to say that Pathfinder does catch my interest. Never got a chance to play its PnP campaign, but the bits and pieces I saw makes it even more appealing than later D&D editions. Now.. the main question is how they will be handling their pathfinding. Because its 'Pathfinder'. Get it? :wink:

That being said, it would be great if players had the chance of selecting various architecture styles for their own kingdom in Pathfinder: Kingmaker. Personally, I saw more than enough of my share of Romanesque and Gothic architecture. And if I play non-humans (which hopefully are playable in this game), I'd surely hope to create a dwarven city or the likes.
  • VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,457
    I heavily doubt it but I hope in an expansion or something they will add Kitsune as a race. As some know Kitsune and Gnomes are my favorite fantasy races and the former usually only appears in PnP games (I don't think I can name a video game that has them without including races introduced by mods like the fox race mods for Morrowind, Oblivion, and Skyrim).
    I had to look it up, but it seems that Kitsune are amongst the so-called "Uncommon Races". Them being so rarely seen that they are doubted to even exist. Given such an enigmatic premise it's probably saver to assume that Kingmaker delivers all of the "Featured Races" first. Their website hinting at Tieflings being included and all.

But it would indeed be great to have a couple of playable anthropomorphic races for a change. I'd especially be interested into roleplaying as an Grippli or Ratfolk. I blame my morbid interest in Skaven culture for the latter one. :sweat_smile:
    VallmyrGusindaThacoBellShapiroKeatsDarkMage
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    edited May 2017
    I will be pleased if they just manage to include all the core rulebook races and classes. But it might make it more interesting if they do the "unchained" versions.

What would be really fun if they chucked out the core races and classes and built the game around classes like Oracle, Gunslinger and Kineticist. But I can't see that happening.

What I really want though is a CRPG based on Starfinder, and that isn't even out yet! Ysoki (rat folk) will be a core race.
    Post edited by Fardragon on
  • ShapiroKeatsDarkMageShapiroKeatsDarkMage Member Posts: 2,428
    Vallmyr said:

Looks cool? I played A LOT of Pathfinder before I moved on to 5e D&D so I'm in.
    https://owlcatgames.com/

Yes finally!
    Vallmyr
    edited May 2017
    Didn't knew Avellone worked in Prey. Nice to see him in more mainstream games.
    Vallmyr
    Fardragon said:

I will be pleased if they just manage to include all the core rulebook races and classes. But it might make it more interesting if they do the "unchained" versions.

What would be really fun if they chucked out the core races and classes and built the game around classes like Oracle, Gunslinger and Kineticist. But I can't see that happening.

What I really want though is a CRPG based on Starfinder, and that isn't even out yet! Ysoki (rat folk) will be a core race.

Starfinder? Is It like Spelljammer?
    It's a bit more space opera with some magic (like GotG), rather than Spelljammer's fantasy in space.

http://paizo.com/starfinder
    Spelljammer was more of a steampunk-science fiction-fantasy hybrid. By the looks of it Starfinder is going more for the "traditional" cyberpunk-science fiction-fantasy vibe. The main difference between those two being mostly their punk sub-culture roots. Or rather: aesthetics.
    Fardragon said:

It's a bit more space opera with some magic (like GotG), rather than Spelljammer's fantasy in space.

http://paizo.com/starfinder

Like Marvel and DC's Cosmic you mean
    The asthetics are more 1930s Flash Gordon, which predates people putting the suffix "punk" after everything.
    Irrelevant. Starfinder is by all likelihood going to be yet another title for people who are putting the punk literature suffix after everything. Although that website's picture reminded me more of Perry Rhodan and Captain Future than Flash Gordon. But time will tell.
    Yeah, well calling anything "-punk" just reveals a lack of imagination. One minor race having steam powered spaceships did not make Starjammer steampunk.
    No, not steampunk per se. But it made Spelljammer science fantasy with an steampunk undertone. That was the whole point of spelljamming helms. Hence why I described it as an hybrid setting.

The thought that punk sub-culture themes reveal a certain lack of imagination may be your opinion. And you are entitled to it. Personally? I am a huge steampunk fan. So please excuse me of not really being part of the Starfinder hype train.

Looking back, this discussion steered a bit off the course. Pathfinder: Kingmaker really should be the main focus here. Hopefully it will feature the Technomancer prestige class with lots of clockwork constructs at some point.
    There is nothing wrong with actually being punk. The lack of imagination stems from sticking a -punk label on anything, presumably in the hope of making it sound cooler.

Space 1889 was steampunk. Spelljammer wasn't (what's neo-victorian about powering a spaceship by sitting in a chair? I don't remember that bit in Verne, or Wells, or Boroughs.)

Personally I'm a fan of bright neon and chrome space opera, so forgive me for being excited about Starfinder.

There isn't really much to say about Kingmaker until more information is given out, other than welcoming it, and hoping that it's the 3rd edition infinity engine game type game that we want.
  • kanisathakanisatha Member Posts: 1,308
    The Kickstarter for the new Pathfinder: Kingmaker crpg is now live:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/owlcatgames/pathfinder-kingmaker

Chris Avellone is a big part of the pitch video.
    bleusteelVallmyrKamigoroshiShapiroKeatsDarkMage
  • bleusteelbleusteel Member Posts: 523
    Backed it!
    VallmyrKamigoroshikanisatha
    Really like the fact that they decided to do real-time with pause instead of turn-based combat. Having 10 classes from the getgo with more planned via stretch goals also doesn't hurt.
    VallmyrThacoBellkanisatha
    Yay, a new BG clone in the style of PoE.
    Vallmyrkanisatha
  • kanisathakanisatha Member Posts: 1,308
    I'm especially intrigued by the 'kingdom-builder' aspect of the game. Combining role-playing and world-building into one game is pure awesomeness! This does make the game stand out from the crowd somewhat.

People in the Kickstarter comments thread keep talking about Grippli. Grippli are D&D IP, and are not available to us without the OGL, which we are not using. Which is to say, Grippli will 100% for sure NOT be in the game.

Source

7 races = all races in the core rule book
    10+ classes = I core rulebook class is in danger of not making the cut, since there are 11. My guess is it is monks who should be worried.
    Nah, they already confirmed that all core classes will be in. Plus Alchemist and Inquisitor.
    Also Barbarians and Rogue will get their Unchained variants rather than the core one. Possible the Monk as well. They're not sure as they haven't begun to develope that one yet. Additional races and classes will appear as stretch goals. The Gripplis only had the misfortune of being under OGL.

People in the Kickstarter comments thread keep talking about Grippli. Grippli are D&D IP, and are not available to us without the OGL, which we are not using. Which is to say, Grippli will 100% for sure NOT be in the game.

Source

Chrono Trigger's Frog is sad.
    edited June 2017

Nah, they already confirmed that all core classes will be in. Plus Alchemist and Inquisitor.
    Also Barbarians and Rogue will get their Unchained variants rather than the core one. Possible the Monk as well. They're not sure as they haven't begun to develope that one yet. Additional races and classes will appear as stretch goals. The Gripplis only had the misfortune of being under OGL.

Alchemist is interesting, but I never really saw much point in Inquisitors. I would prefer Oracles and Kinetisists. I think it's a good move to go with the unchained classes, should make it feel more like it's own thing.
    edited June 2017
    I Wonder if there are going to bè DLC races and classes.
    Post edited by ShapiroKeatsDarkMage on
    Fardragon said:

Alchemist is interesting, but I never really saw much point in Inquisitors. I would prefer Oracles and Kinetisists. I think it's a good move to go with the unchained classes, should make it feel more like it's own thing.
    I would have love the Gunslinger class in the game, so i could make my character like ''Good. Bad. I'm the half-orc with the gun.''

ThacoBell