Skip to content

Aww too much Fighters for good parties..

Hello guys,
Today i decide to leave my no reload runs for a "few reloads" run bgee-SoD-bg2ee. I want to play an old fashion party with jaheira, minsc, imoen in bg2. But there is a lot of choices and can't sleep at night anymore.

Ok, my best bet:
Char: Cavalier (old fashion I said) dual Foebane/Defender in the end. With Minsc, Jaheira, Keldorn, Imoen, Aerie

I don't want more than 3 mêlée fighters so there obviously a problem.

Or Char: Cavalier with Caso, Jaheira, Minsc, Haer'D, Aerie, Imoen.

I don't like Minsc as a "simple" ranger, so nevemind to re-kit in a barbarian, berserker or an archer
How do you play Jaheira? Only Mêlée with Spectral and Belm or :
-re-kit in a single class druid? :0
-F/D ok but in the back with a sling or throwing dagger style/belm? Is-it viable?

I can't take Keldorn and Anomen in the same team because of the low Dex problem.

Uhhh
Of course I can play a sorcerer too but skulltrap spamming is a little bit annoying At the end of the day. sorcerer, Keldorn,Minsc, jaheira, HD, Imoen,?? Or aerie for the lack of cleric spell replacing HD. But 3 arcane members is maybe too much!

I'm quite lost :)

Comments

• DanacmDanacm Member Posts: 951
    Maybe try something different, like a divine caster, avanger, shapeshifter, lathander cleric etc.
  • SouplesseSouplesse Member Posts: 131
    Ok We can talk about Charname kit but my question is more about Non player members :) and how do you manage them.
  • fatelessfateless Member Posts: 330
    I tend to pick my NPC's based on my charname. I like a mix of two fighters/rangers/pally (at least one a sword and shield tank. Often the other a two handed weapon.) I do a rogue, Then I do a mage and a cleric. Spot number 6 tends to be either a second mage or second cleric.

If your using Imoen because of her thief skills you could technically consider her taking up the rogue skills. You could technically take up the rogue spot in your party with something else only semi-rogue but is missing key rogue components like a Monk or a Bard. Monks can still be good for scouting and Bards are good at pickpocketing. And they both bring other skills to the table. Covering most of your thief range in a pair of cross class kind of characters.

I often count Jaheira as one of my fighters but occasionally I get a little melee heavy and put her in that 6th spot as a third fighter as well as a backup combat healer depending on the fights i'm going into and which might be a bit more useful.

In a classic 6 party run melee rogues are not that weak and archer rogues tend to be rather strong as well. In melee they tend to be able to backstab a lot more because melee enemies will be focused a lot more on the fighters. And at range they get to use some of the nicest bows in the game even if not at the full potentially of a couple of the class/kits available.

I personally also like Shapeshifters/Cernd. But it takes finding a balance between casting and melee combat. Two things which are usually fairly exclusive. But combat starting bombardments followed by upclose melee are possible. Just keep in mind that your losing a fair bit of the character if you use it only to melee or only to cast. This can be hard to juggle a bit with the fact that they cannot just mid-battle rebuff themselves with the stronger and most popular druid protection spells and they can't heal while in werewolf forms but they are physically quite a bit weaker in some respects when they are in human form.
  • unavailableunavailable Member Posts: 268
    It won't matter much who you take with you if your charname is a cleric/thief type. Can make it a multi or dual from thief whenever. Doesn't really fit in with the heroic/villainous half-god main character theme the game tries to put you in, but I don't care.

I generally consider spells like skull trap to be a waste of spell slots. Much better to disable enemies with slow, or buff your own group with haste, or make your whole group invisible so as to position them all for a good ambush.

Keldorn is a two handed type of fighter, so you're not going to get good AC for him anyway. I like to put a wall of tanks between him and the enemies, and his carsomyr is just long enough for him to attack from behind anomen, jahiera and haer
    @unavailable
    I don't know if im ready for a "support" charname.
    Ok for Keldorn AC but i prefer an average AC to a pretty bad AC even, i agree, Keldorn is not a tank.

@fateless
    Thank you for your advices
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    Cleric/thieves, played right can be pretty darn tough, esp, gnomes n half-orcs. Throw in Rogue Rebalancing and you even have more awesomeness with 2WS 3 pippin it. Even if you don't want to start with club or staff proficiency, you can still BStab with flame blade and shillelagh. Plus some extra nice new clubs now, modded and standard.
    Duhm + Ram BS? :)
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.