Skip to content

Deirex is impossible to beat

Hey folks,

So I'm in the Underdark and my team was faring ok until now. Level 14, more or less, Aerie being the only cleric (level 11, so no Sunray spell yet). The others are my Fighter/Thief, Keldorn, Minsc, Jaheira and Imoen.

Thing is: I just can't beat Deirex, the lich. He is immune to all spells under level 6. Keldorn does decent damage with Daystar, but not enough to kill him (even if combined with the few Delayed Fireballs cast by Imoen).

Stuff like Breach, Dispel Magic and Lower Resistance of course do not affect him due to their low level. And his protection against magical weapons makes attacking useless.

What else can I do, beside leveling up?

Thanks!

Comments

• sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    use keldorn's dispel magic, it will go past all of Deirex's defences, it will also dispel all your stuff as well, but just hammer on deirex hard ( and make sure to use magic weapons) and keep blasting Deirex with Keldorn's dispel magic and he should go down no sweat
  • MyragMyrag Member Posts: 328
    edited June 2017
    Best way if to use Keldorns dispel magic because Inquisitors Dispel Magic is treated as level 0 which contradictionary to what you could think is the higher spell level than 9 in terms of immunity checks.

You can also use Daystar's Sunray spell which can instakill him if he fails save. It's level 7 spell so it will work against his immunity.

If you got "azuredge" then it is a great weapon for this fight.

Note that Protection from magical weapons lasts only 4 rounds so if you don't have any high level dispelling magic (you do though) or arrows of dispeling then summon some monsters and let them go one by one soaking in spells until PFMW runs out. Just don't get summons in all at once or he will use death spell and kill them all at the same time.

Cheesy way you can just enter let him buff up and exit tower and wait for buffs to run out.

ps. Inquisitor is the most powerful anticaster character in the game. With his dispel magic at twice his level he has pretty much always 100% to dispel everything in the game. Max level paladin (32) is casting dispel magic at level 64!! If keldorn in your party is level 14 his dispel magic is already level 28 which is insanely strong, probably 100% dispel on Deirex. When Keldor is wearing carsomyr then pretty much every mage in unmodded game is simply piece of cake.
  • MyragMyrag Member Posts: 328
    edited June 2017
    Just like @sarevok57 this basically will make any spell caster in BG series a wet noodle and punching bag.

Just wanted to add, note that Inquisitors Dispel Magic is level 0 spell. Contrary to what you could think it is considered like level 10 when making spell immunity checks so it will work on anything in the game. In unmodded game nothing blocks it really so it's ultimate caster destroyer.

Also note that in unmodded game this spell is cast at twice the level of the caster so yours will be around level 24 which most likely will guarantee the dispell at 100%, fully capped Inqusitor is level 32 which makes his dispel magic level 64! This spell is so strong it's nerfed by SCS mod and a lot of power gamers do not use it because it makes the game too easy.

If Keldorn then gets Carsomyr the game is just too easy anyway.
  • CabushaCabusha Member Posts: 8
    Other options, if you have the cloak of the sewers, turn into a jelly and eat his spells that way. Bit cheesey, but works.

Another option is a scroll of protection from Undead. Makes the Lich completely ignore the character with it cast on, regardless of how much you smack them. Similarly cheesy, but effective.

Failing that, I can normally kite them around until their protections wear out.
  • ArtonaArtona Member Posts: 1,077
    Other borderline cheap option is to cast protection from magic scroll on Deirex. He won't be able to cast spells.
    I'm not sure if vanilla liches (I assume we are talking about vanilla game) cast Lower Resistance - if not, then you can drink some potion of magic protection.
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    Myrag said:

Just like @sarevok57 this basically will make any spell caster in BG series a wet noodle and punching bag.

Just wanted to add, note that Inquisitors Dispel Magic is level 0 spell. Contrary to what you could think it is considered like level 10 when making spell immunity checks so it will work on anything in the game. In unmodded game nothing blocks it really so it's ultimate caster destroyer.

Also note that in unmodded game this spell is cast at twice the level of the caster so yours will be around level 24 which most likely will guarantee the dispell at 100%, fully capped Inqusitor is level 32 which makes his dispel magic level 64! This spell is so strong it's nerfed by SCS mod and a lot of power gamers do not use it because it makes the game too easy.

actually, paladins can hit level 34 at the ToB level cap :)

• UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147
    I tend to run away into the other room, summon skeletons, send one to absorb the death spell, send the rest to deal with Deirex, make a cup of tea while you wait.
  • zdoxjwuezdoxjwue Member Posts: 2
    edited June 2017
    Thanks a lot everyone.

The fight was very easy with Keldorn's Dispel Magic. I was using Imoen's (which didn't work because of the level) and assumed the same would happen with Keldorn's.

For some reason I'm not fully aware of, Aerie's Turn Undead made him not cast his most powerful spells as well.
  • AttalusAttalus Member Posts: 156
    Myrag said:

How about if he has the Purifier? I get that for him real quick. **whistle**

• GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    zdoxjwue said:

For some reason I'm not fully aware of, Aerie's Turn Undead made him not cast his most powerful spells as well.

That seems strange.

A high-level Viconia (or player-created Evil Cleric) might sometimes succeed in gaining control of him with Rebuke Undead (i.e. the Evil version of Turn Undead), and in that case he'd stop all attacks if you gave him some other command (e.g. by selecting him and telling him to move) ... although if you gained control and didn't bother giving him a command, then he'd continue whatever action he was currently doing (which would likely be an attack on your party) even though you notionally control him.

With Aerie, though, and therefore using Turn Undead rather than Rebuke Undead, I'm not clear how that'd work. Maybe the Turn Undead panics him, which he succeeds in resisting, but in the process it disrupts his current cast, so he immediately starts casting something else instead?