Skip to content

The siege of Suldanesselar should be more epic

Even though there are many difficult encounters there, I gotta say it felt kinda dull. I was hoping for more elven soldiers struggling for survival and perhaps large quantities of extraplanar creatures for you to face.

In fact , I feel that all the 'sieges' in the game should be more epic!

Comments

• ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    It seemed ok to me actually. Always got the impression that it was more a case of Irenicus appearing with a host of golems, rakshasas etc, then isolating the city and starting to cause havoc while most of the defenders were preoccupied; rather than a strategically planned military siege. And by the time you arrive there's obviously not much of a defense left.
  • LadyEibhilinRhettLadyEibhilinRhett Member Posts: 1,078
    I dunno, man, it was already pretty tough to begin with. I don't think I could handle much more than what's already there.
  • ElzarathElzarath Member Posts: 173
    It does feel a bit bare doesn't it? I suppose we can attribute that to the time it takes us to actually catch up with Irenicus in the city. Still, more puzzles, encounters, etc would be fun.
  • ARKdeEREHARKdeEREH Member Posts: 531
    edited November 2012
    DJKajuru said:

What if in Saradush the party had to actually defend it against Yaga-Shura's army, instead of fighting them after it was destroyed? Urban warfare with Bhaalspawn in Saradush, plus the PC and party on one side vs. Yaga-Shura and a 100+ fire giants, mages, and fighters on the other. That would seem rather epic.

I agree that Suldanesselar should also be improved. Maybe there could be twice as many opponents as there are now.

Also, the "siege" when Lord Roenal tries to take over D'Arnise Hold is beyond pathetic in its present form. They make this big deal about how he's bringing an army and then he shows up with like half a dozen weak fighters. My first playthrough I kept waiting for the next wave to come, thinking that surely there must be more, but they never did. This is probably the siege that could be improved the most because right now it isn't really a siege. It's a weak party attacking a castle and getting slaughtered.
  • RenulanRenulan Member Posts: 109
    The feeling I got from suldanesselar was that Irenicus came crashing in behind the defenses of the current elven force fighting against the drow rising out of the ground. The city only had minimal defenses, correct?

Seemed right to me.
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    While I agree, I think it's more due to the game engine limitations than anything else. Anyway, I don't remember that part very well, or the assault on the D'Arnise Keep. I only played BG2 once, and remember just snippets. It'll be fun to re-visit.
  • cyberhawkcyberhawk Member Posts: 350
    I always thought the elven soldiers helping CHARNAME in Suldanessalar were very much underpowered. If CHARNAME or anyone from his group didn't help, those guys got slaughtered by mere trolls. These used to be somewhat worthy opponents at the beginning, where everyone is around level 8-10, why can't elven warriors, defenders of such an important city like Suldanessalar, handle those? Are they some sort of underpowered level 4-5 pussies?

Also, right after you get into Suldanessalar one elven mage uses magical armor (that lvl 1 spell) as the only protection before going off into battle. Come on, that spell got old at the end of BG1 already. Now all the threats that CHARNAME got after being captured by the elven army right after their escape from Underdark start to look reaaaly shallow.
  • ARKdeEREHARKdeEREH Member Posts: 531
    @reedmilfam The D'Arnise Hold attack is part of the fighter stronghold quest so you only experience it if your PC is a fighter single or multi.
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    Large scale battles were too heavy for BG2 to bear back in those days , now that we've got better computers perhaps some modders could adapt these battles!
  • colonel_burgercolonel_burger Member Posts: 279
    You guys need to try the bg2 mod Tactics.
  • KirkorKirkor Member Posts: 700
    ARKdeEREH said:

DJKajuru said:

What if in Saradush the party had to actually defend it against Yaga-Shura's army, instead of fighting them after it was destroyed? Urban warfare with Bhaalspawn in Saradush, plus the PC and party on one side vs. Yaga-Shura and a 100+ fire giants, mages, and fighters on the other. That would seem rather epic.

I agree that Suldanesselar should also be improved. Maybe there could be twice as many opponents as there are now.

Also, the "siege" when Lord Roenal tries to take over D'Arnise Hold is beyond pathetic in its present form. They make this big deal about how he's bringing an army and then he shows up with like half a dozen weak fighters. My first playthrough I kept waiting for the next wave to come, thinking that surely there must be more, but they never did. This is probably the siege that could be improved the most because right now it isn't really a siege. It's a weak party attacking a castle and getting slaughtered.
    No, you need to leave Saradush, so it can fall. Most of Bhaalspawn MUST die, so the story can go forward.

But I agree, that all these sieges should at least have more epic look (even if it means that they were scripted).
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    cyberhawk said:

I always thought the elven soldiers helping CHARNAME in Suldanessalar were very much underpowered. If CHARNAME or anyone from his group didn't help, those guys got slaughtered by mere trolls. These used to be somewhat worthy opponents at the beginning, where everyone is around level 8-10, why can't elven warriors, defenders of such an important city like Suldanessalar, handle those? Are they some sort of underpowered level 4-5 pussies?

I doubt even the largest cities have a giant pack of guards of level 10-15 walking around. People of that level are grade-A commando's, generals and powerful figures. If your city guard is an average level of 5-6, you've got yourself some really good guards (considering a lvl6 guard can easily take out 10-ish level 1 creatures on its own).

Irenicus had an army of Rakshasa, powerful demons and freakin' huge golems made of Adamantite. They would have made mincemeat of any army in the world and required the direct intervention of a diety to stop. I think it's pretty accurate the elves got slaughtered before the party gets there.

• DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    Drugar said:

cyberhawk said:

I doubt even the largest cities have a giant pack of guards of level 10-15 walking around. People of that level are grade-A commando's, generals and powerful figures. If your city guard is an average level of 5-6, you've got yourself some really good guards (considering a lvl6 guard can easily take out 10-ish level 1 creatures on its own).

Irenicus had an army of Rakshasa, powerful demons and freakin' huge golems made of Adamantite. They would have made mincemeat of any army in the world and required the direct intervention of a diety to stop. I think it's pretty accurate the elves got slaughtered before the party gets there.

I just wish it were as dramatic as the cutscene where Ellesime shows you what's going on there.