Skip to content

New restrictions -> new challenges

LoldrupLoldrup Member Posts: 291
I'm always on the lookout for interesting ways to limit myself in order to refresh the game and create more of a challenge.

Currently I've concluded that this set of restrictions might make for an interesting playthrough:

* No character is allowed to use weapons for which he has any proficiency points.
(exceptions: thieves may use melee weapons in which they have proficiency. Also, Xan may use his sword)

* To pay for their privilege, thieves are not allowed to backstab mages.

* No wands

* No Web spell (EDIT: and no Sleep spell)

* No ranged weapons may be used against wizards (this includes the magically concocted ranged weapon Melfs minute meteors, but not the less powerful spells such as the priests 'Magical Stone' (are there others?). The touch-to-do-damage/effect spell-weapons from the Necromancy school are naturally not affected, as they aren't ranged.)

* No Silence Spell (at -5 saving throw, that spell is pure cheat)

* No magic missile against wizards

* Summons? Should they be banned? Not sure about that

* No purchased special ammo. Use only the special ammo you can find in the wild.

These rules will make things a bit harder, and also promote thieves a bit more than usual.

I usually plan right from the start how to beat Karoug. Two thieves will equip the flaming sword and the dagger. Two fighters will equip the two bastard swords and gulp potions. Done.

With these rules, among other things, it becomes interesting for priests to use their magic weapons spells.
Post edited by Loldrup on
JuliusBorisovMontresor_SP

Comments

• UnionhackUnionhack Member Posts: 27
    Roll a main character with a stat total of 75 or less!
  • LoldrupLoldrup Member Posts: 291
    Unionhack said:

Roll a main character with a stat total of 75 or less!

The other fighters in the game are still very powerful.
    It's frustrating to have a fight end before it started, because the enemies just couldn't deal with the massive damage output from fighters and bow-users.
  • ZilberZilber Member Posts: 253
    So, swashbucklers, bards and druids?
    Loldruptbone1
  • DetectiveMittensDetectiveMittens Member Posts: 235
    edited June 2017
    The biggest limitation to any baldur's gate run would be no gnomes! I get shivers just thinking about such cruel limitations.
    LoldrupQuartz
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Zilber said:

All three of those are really powerful though. Maybe a solo Beastmaster run on insane with below 75 stats?
  • cbones9889cbones9889 Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 41
    It is possible to role less than 75 stats?
    Zilber said:

And priests. And mages..
    Loldrup said:

Zilber said:

And priests. And mages..
    The restrictions seem targeted against fighters. I would propose a new challenge:

The average human has 63 points. EEkeeper every character to fit within those 63 points. So yeah, that paladin and druid is going to have to pay.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235

It is possible to role less than 75 stats?

No, but you can still reduce stat points below that.
    edited June 2017
    Zilber said:

The restrictions seem targeted against fighters. I would propose a new challenge:

Well, everybody suffers from not having pips. Fighters are generally strong in BG. And they still have nice THAC0 progressions and HP. And they get to use awesome strength potions!
    Post edited by Loldrup on
  • fatelessfateless Member Posts: 330

The biggest limitation to any baldur's gate run would be no gnomes! I get shivers just thinking about such cruel limitations.

I rejoiced when they turned gnomes into npc's in 3E... and then undid it and made them playable again by like 3.5... -sigh- bliss for a short time...
    fateless said:

I rejoiced when they turned gnomes into npc's in 3E... and then undid it and made them playable again by like 3.5... -sigh- bliss for a short time...
    I think you have the versions confused. They were changed in the version after 3.5 that should not be talked about, and repaired in 5th.
    Quartz
  • karnor00karnor00 Member Posts: 680
    One thing I often like to do to work increase the challenge is not to allow myself to buff pre fight. I make an exception for very long duration spells like armor and stoneskin that last all day.

A lot of the fights become a lot more challenging because during fights I am forced to choose between casting buffs/potions or using offensive abilities.

It also means some spells feel very different, particularly in BG2. For example haste suddenly looks much better than improved haste because one spell buffs the whole party freeing my mages up to do other things in combat.
    LoldrupQuartz
    karnor00 said:

One thing I often like to do to work increase the challenge is not to allow myself to buff pre fight.

Good one! Why didn't I think of that??
  • fatelessfateless Member Posts: 330
    Zilber said:

fateless said:

I think you have the versions confused. They were changed in the version after 3.5 that should not be talked about, and repaired in 5th.
    You may be right. I could swear they changed them back before 5e. It didn't seem like it was that long until they came back into the realm of playability. I thought it was with a main book but maybe it was some supplement.... or the edition that is better forgot maybe. I honestly didnt' play as much in 3.5 so maybe that's why I was thinking of it wrong. and the 4e I looked at like once and knew better than to touch it while watching the MMO's that it seemed to be designed after getting severely dumbed down as well which was killing my interest in some of them.

I think it's because somehow my mind lumps Tieflings getting popular and Gnomes disappearing for a time together as relatively close. That may be why I get it wrong. Specially since it's so close to that aforementioned gap in my interest in D&D itself. And for me it feels like it was still during the time where it also seemed like everybodies character everywhere was blooded with this monster line or that one or half this and half that because the game allowed such things in it's character building pretty easily.
  • StummvonBordwehrStummvonBordwehr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,342
    One of the no-reloaders (think its Grond0) plays without usage of potions. Seems like a challenge to me - poison is lethal..
    LoldrupArctodus
  • HarpagornisHarpagornis Member Posts: 1,658
    My all-time-favourite: Noober style! Or with other words: You are stuck at level 1 - forever! :D
    Arctodus