Skip to content

Humanoid Animal VS Lycanthrope

ForofgoldForofgold Member Posts: 21
Why is there so much power difference between an average lycanthrope and an average animal humanoid?

For example, a werehyena and a gnoll.

Comments

• sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    probably because when it comes down to it lycanthropes are more "cool" than animal humanoids, and "cool" things need to have more power than none "cool" things, at least that is what it looks like to me
  • batoorbatoor Member Posts: 676
    edited June 2017
    Depends on what variety of lycanthropy you are talking about I guess? Some cases simply has the human morphing into a regular four legged wolf I believe, while with others you have the hulking bipedal monstrosity.

Same with vampirism.. The strength and powers they've displayed fluctuates wildly depending on the writer.

For me the fear/allure has always been the chance of being infected rather than what kind of powers they display.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    edited June 2017
    All depends on the setting, as each franchise has its own background story for such creatures.

In TES for example you have Argonians, Daedroths, Lizardmen and Werecrocodiles. All of them have a reptiloid appearance. But different roles. So of course it wouldn't make much sense for them to have the same abilities.

It's more difficult to explain how D&D's Werewolf ended up weaker than its Wolfwere counterpart. Give that this is a clear case of parallel evolution...
  • ArdanisArdanis Member Posts: 1,736
    If memory serves, a beastwere is not a real lycanthrope, but something with innate ability to assume human form, like dragons do.