Skip to content

modding in Baldur's Gate

So, just a curiosity. Does anyone have experience modding in the original Baldur's Gate?

Comments

• MungriMungri Member Posts: 1,645
    edited November 2012
    There is a whole subforum dedicated to modding. I've installed lots of mods and recently tried a few simple 2da file edits, though the original game is very hard to mod. I'm hoping that BGEE will be easier to modify.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    I'm working on a very secret modding project that so far consists solely of writing dialogue.

Lots and lots of dialogue.
  • MungriMungri Member Posts: 1,645
    Id love to write dialogue and make new NPCs ... But Id be no good at modding it into the game.
  • flame867flame867 Member Posts: 32
    Aosaw said:

I'm working on a very secret modding project that so far consists solely of writing dialogue.

Lots and lots of dialogue.

That's kind of what i was hopping to do, maybe create a story within the story, just to give the game a new aspect for other players.

I also have some coding experience so if I think of a new game mechanic I'd like to add it to the mod, I just don't know how to go about modding Baldur's gate.
  • LadyEibhilinRhettLadyEibhilinRhett Member Posts: 1,078
    I tried once but never got to test it in game because near infinity kept being a bitch and wouldn't convert my CHA file to a CRE file so I gave up.
  • MilochMiloch Member Posts: 863
    @flame867 - yes, check the modding tutorials on forums.gibberlings3.net, shsforums.net, forums.pocketplane.net etc.

@Aosaw - most modding projects that involve "lots" of anything should remain secret, because they rarely get completed. :P
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    @Miloch Well, the "lots" in this case just refers to the number of lines. Most of them are already written, so it's mostly a matter of getting it working.
  • MilochMiloch Member Posts: 863
    Aosaw said:

it's mostly a matter of getting it working.

Heh, yeah that's the tough part. :)
  • CuvCuv Member, Developer Posts: 2,535
    Miloch said:

...most modding projects that involve "lots" of anything should remain secret, because they rarely get completed. :P

Indeed!

• flame867flame867 Member Posts: 32
    @Miloch Thank you for the links, they helped a bunch.