Skip to content

Well Rounded Party comps

I usually roll a fighter but I'm thinking of going mage thief or cleric perhaps even a multiclass. (I'm assuming we'll have BG2 spells) when BG:EE comes out. So with that in mind what's a good party comp If I play any of the four aforementioned classes? Also I'll probably be somewhere in the evil alignments in my play through if that makes any difference for recommendations.

Comments

• PantalionPantalion Member Posts: 2,137
    Redundancy: Have at least two mages, one cleric, one thief and one primary Fighter in your NPCs (covering two roles with one NPC might be nice, hence why Cleric/Mage, Mage/Thief etc are neat), this gives you the freedom to be anything without leaving a gaping hole in your lineup.
  • CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    So long as you cover the four basic roles (Fighter, Mage, Thief, Cleric) you can take whomever you want. You'll need to adjust your tactics but the game is, on the whole, fairly forgiving.
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    CaptRory said:

So long as you cover the four basic roles (Fighter, Mage, Thief, Cleric) you can take whomever you want. You'll need to adjust your tactics but the game is, on the whole, fairly forgiving.

This.

You have the basic four ... then what are you lacking? Do you need more healing? Pick up a second divine spell caster. Do you need more magic firepower? Say, perhaps, have one mage use blast spells and one mage use buff spells? Get two mages. Do you need more fighting power, perhaps a dedicated melee and a dedicated ranged? Get two warriors.

And then, at the very end ... is it a pretty rounded group with 5 characters but you still find yourself wanting a sixth? Pick up a Bard.
  • TehCerealKillerTehCerealKiller Member Posts: 56
    who is the best thief for lockpicking and trap detecting?

who is the best thief for lockpicking and trap detecting?

Probably Imoen. When you first get her all her stats are dumped into Find Traps, so you can continue to develop that and Lockpicking from very early on.
  • Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729
    Although Imoen is good, I've never had her leave an evil party, although she does complain about the party being "good for nothin' riff-raff". Safana is also a good thief, though can't dual to mage without a tome, and her weapon proficiencies aren't as useful if you pick her up late. I often use her to cover for Imoen if I've dualed her to a mage and she's recovering her levels, though.

I always try to take Viconia, even in non-evil parties, as much prefer her to the alternative clerics and druids. Also, unless playing an Assassin or fighter/thief myself, I like to take Montaron for scouting and backstabbing duties.
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    edited November 2012
    Evil? Hmm. Personally I like cleric-mage (multi), as that combo gives you such a wealth of spells to choose from. You'll want Dorn, obviously. Complete the party with Montaron (he despises Xzar), Viconia, Edwin, and Shar-Teel. So that's

multiclass cleric-mage
    Montaron
    Viconia
    Edwin
    Dorn
    Shar-Teel
  • RenulanRenulan Member Posts: 109
    Mage
    Mage
    Mage
    Fi-.... no, Mage.
    Mage
    Mage

or....

Mage.
    @Oxford_Guy Safana is great, + she's sexy so yeah huge bonus to the party there ... lolz
  • JaxsbudgieJaxsbudgie Member Posts: 600
    Evil parties in BG1 are my favourite, they have so much more manoeuvrability than BG2 where you're faced with the conundrum of recruiting from a wealth of evil NPCs such as Edwin, Viconia or Korgan, tricky!

An evil Bard could be fun, if you're not planning on taking your PC into BG:EE (which won't be available for another year+) then perhaps a Jester could be fun, combine that with greater malison (which will now be available) and almost every large scale battle is your bitch. Skalds and Blades have a bit more longevity to them past BG1, plus the only other evil Bard is Eldoth and as much as I love him (and Skie) they don't fit into any real 'conventional' party and require a lot of forward planning. Plus it isn't difficult to roll a better Bard than Eldoth! ALSO Skald song and Blackguard aura have crazy synergy!

PC - Bard - backup archer, backup arcane support, backup general support, pockpockets, lore
    Viconia - Cleric - slinger / potential tank, primary divine spellcaster
    Dorn - Blackguard - primary damage dealer, crowd controller with aura
    Edwin - Conjurer - primary arcane spellcaster

either:

Xzar - Necromancer - second primary arcane spellcaster
    Montaron - Fighter / Thief - archer, primary Thief, secondary damage dealer, backstabber

or:

Shar-Teel - Fighter>Thief - primary Thief, secondary damage dealer, archer, backstabber
    Tiax - Cleric / Thief - secondary Thief, backup divine support