Skip to content

Expand Turn Undead Table

AntonAnton Member, Moderator, Mobile Tester Posts: 513
Currently Turn Undead progress only till level 14 according to this table.
It would be nice to have it extended till max Cleric level per ToB (40).

Comments

• MortiannaMortianna Member Posts: 1,356
    @Anton With a Turn Undead ability progressed to level 40, I'd think a cleric could destroy ("chunk") any and all undead, including demi-liches. Kangaxx wouldn't stand a chance. Too overpowered for ToB?
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    Agree with Mortianna, but don't mind that. I'm a little sick of undead in the realms (all of the D&D games) because they're essentially immune (or highly resistant) to most of the party's specialness. The equalizer is a high level cleric!
  • MilochMiloch Member Posts: 863
    That table is from PnP resources. The game's turn undead progress is not in a table, but hardcoded in the engine. It does a check for your level and the level of any "undead" creature (i.e. a .cre flagged as type undead - some like skeleton warriors are not because they can't be turned).

So in other words, what you're asking should already be implemented AFAIK. There is a possible argument for externalising it though (softcoding it to an actual table rather than leaving it hardcoded in the engine).
  • Raistlin82Raistlin82 Member Posts: 256
    I thought this was about a new ability centered on "turning the tables"... which only works on "undead tables"...
  • AntonAnton Member, Moderator, Mobile Tester Posts: 513
    edited November 2012
    Thanks for the info @Miloch!
    Could you please share some information on how exactly Turn Undead does work in BG. Perhaps there is some tables at modders website.
    @Anton - if you can read "pseudocode" - the only thing I know of (that we, the non-developers have) is in the TobEx forum:

http://www.shsforums.net/topic/46797-tobex-wish-list/page__view__findpost__p__534202

Maybe the TobEx documentation says more about it - haven't read it recently.
    @ScottBrooks @KeithS et al. - maybe you could externalise this bit of code to an actual 2da? :)
  • ZaorZaor Member Posts: 69
    As I recall, the base value of the turn undead goes up to level 14 but there are certain racial/boss modifiers. (Calling bullshit on liches being level 14) Plus the big modifier of when a creature is feared or destroyed/controlled. From what I've read, for instance, named liches are turn able but they have a big bonus so to chunk them, you have to be obscene for that level. If I remember the table I found correctly, kagnaxx for instance requires level 34 (to be feared? I forget)

I would like it if this table was explained more for bg ee and featured in the manual...can we turn this feature request into that? :D
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    In Pen and Paper, Liches fell into the category just below the "Special" Category, which included Evil Clerics (Yes, you could turn evil clerics, and they could "turn" good clerics.) Demons and Devils were also in the "Special" Category. At 14th level, though, you only need a roll of 4 to turn a vampire. Bhodi, anyone?
    @Zaor - as I explained above, turn undead is not a table in the game, it's hardcoded based on levels.
  • ZaorZaor Member Posts: 69
    @miloch I understand that is what you said, but the difference between a table and a series of hardcoded choices based on level is conceptual. Liches (except named) are still always coded at a certain level. My point was about the named, where they are coded at a higher level depending on the named creature, comparable in the illustration to the table's results in that the named creature has a certain modifier above and beyond normal liches. Like turn resistance, as an example from 3e. I am not saying there is a literal table in the game engine. The analogy works because there aren't 5 levels of random liches/vampires/skeletons, there are only liches and special liches or vampires and special vampires.

Regardless, there exist tables that are semi-accurate interpretations of the game engine's turn undead checks for various undead (including Bodhi and Kagnaxx) gained through fan-made experiments. They're mostly level-ish, favoring high over low, but still interesting. (Kagnaxx is indeed chunked at 34, according to one of the charts.)
  • WorgWorg Member Posts: 170
    The turn system is, as far as I know, not really true to the PnP anyway. I think you could only turn once a battle. If it failed, tough luck.