Skip to content

Beregost Rumor

RiqueRique Member Posts: 47
Hi, it is been years since I dont play classic BG. I am doing my first run with a fighter on EE and i decided start collecting rumors from driking, something I often skip because I play as paladin. I remember back in 2001 that there was a rumor regarding the spider house. I think that one of innkeepters mentioned something about noises coming from one of the houses (the one with spiders, part of the quest).

I have this memory vivid and I even found a site where someone also mentions this very quote. But doesnt matter how many drinking I take in every tavern (or even donating to temple), I just cant get this dialog anymore. Am I dreaming or imagining things? I havent completed the quest yet so this rumor should be "open".
Thanks in advance.

Comments

• CamDawgCamDawg Member, Developer Posts: 3,438
    RBEREG.dlg controls the rumors at Beregost inns and taverns, and there's no mention of noises or the spider house (EE or original).
    RiqueJuliusBorisovelminster
  • RiqueRique Member Posts: 47
    hm thanks.
  • FearTheLivingFearTheLiving Member Posts: 1
    Have you tried the temple? Not sure if the temples and inns share all the same rumors or not.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited July 2017

Have you tried the temple? Not sure if the temples and inns share all the same rumors or not.

Just checked and neither the beregost temple nor any of the other temples talk about this.
    Post edited by elminster on
    JuliusBorisov
  • JoenSoJoenSo Member Posts: 910
    Maybe it was a rumor said by commoners rather than an inn rumor?
    Shikao
  • CamDawgCamDawg Member, Developer Posts: 3,438

The temple also uses RBEREG. There are only a handful of rumor dialogues shared by all of the stores in the game:

RBALDU - Baldur's Gate
    RBEREG - Beregost
    RCANDL - Candlekeep
    RFRIEN - Friendly Arm Inn
    RNASHK - Nashkel

The rumors are conditional, e.g. Candlekeep will have rumors about problems in the Nashkel mines in the prologue, but not on your return.
    JoenSo said:

Maybe it was a rumor said by commoners rather than an inn rumor?

Out of curiosity, I did go looking for the string--I couldn't find anything with "noises" in it that was relevant. Perhaps if OP could remember some more words we could try different searches. It's definitely not a tavern rumor, though.

elminsterJuliusBorisov
  • RiqueRique Member Posts: 47
    No, I cant... Sadly it is a vague memory trigged by a comment posted elsewhere by another OP. Perhaps we are both wrong. Another run on vanilla BG could prove that but I think that we have the same files on EE so no point. It can be labelled as a "false memory".