Skip to content

An Idea

AbYsMaLAbYsMaL Member Posts: 19
So, IWD2: EE might not be a project that can be pursued (yet) but given the success that Beamdog has seen with Planescape: Torment, I was thinking... maybe... just maybe...

Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura?

(*runs to a cave and hides with flintlock pistol)

But seriously, on modern computers that game is ridiculously hard to get going, and even if you do there is occasional slowdown that make the game borderline unplayable in some cases. I think it would be cool to have an EE done for that, hopefully in the vein of PS: T.

Thoughts?

Comments

• JoenSoJoenSo Member Posts: 910
    Arcanum is already available on Steam, but to have an EE version that actually works on Steam and with all the bugs eradicated would be fantastic.

Still, I'm not sure I would play all through it myself. I found it difficult to get into the game back in the days compared to BG and other RPGs like that. And to be honest I got sick of the constant string music pretty quick. Still a good game though. Lots of things I liked and lots of things I didn't like.
  • AbYsMaLAbYsMaL Member Posts: 19
    I like the idea that there's a sorta D&D game that makes a good attempt to explain what happens when magic and technology come together. I do agree a bit about the string music but on the flip side it is a very nice change of pace from the heavy orchestra, techno, rock, or techno-rock hybrid that we get nowadays.
  • JoenSoJoenSo Member Posts: 910
    Yes, I also liked how they put more emphasis on the magic/technology part. Partially because it is so lacking in other settings. I really would like to see that kind of juxtaposition in a more medieval setting.

Yes, it was a nice change in a way with the string quartet. I just missed having some variety in the game itself. Like Baldur's gate where you go from bombastic stuff like the Bhaalspawn battle track to the calm flutes of Brynnlaw. To me it felt more like I had turned off the game's soundtrack and had an entire different soundtrack playing.