Skip to content

AMA with Lead Writer Dave Gross (is over, but look in here for the responses!)

DaveDave Member Posts: 200
It's cool to ask Baldur's Gate story and dialogue questions, but Trent can give better answers about general topics. Much safer to ask about Pathfinder Tales and Queen of Thorns, where I'm more of an authority.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Fantasy/comments/136ut9/hi_reddit_im_dave_gross_author_of_pathfinder/
Post edited by Nathan on

Comments

• ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    Can we ask questions here too?
  • NathanNathan Member Posts: 1,007
    I totally upvoted it.
    edited November 2012
    @ajwz / everyone else potentially interested - I think if you have questions you'd like the OH team to answer, you can feel free to ask it here. But, really, if you'd like to ask more story directed questions whether about BG:EE or Dave's excellent novels, you should apply it to Dave's AMA on reddit =)
  • JonelethIrenicusJonelethIrenicus Member Posts: 157
    I have so many questions but I am sitting on the train so I will just ask one quick question and it's about bg3. Have you start writing the story for bg3 or at least got ideas for it?
  • PhillipDaiglePhillipDaigle Member Posts: 654
    We don't have a contract to create Baldur's Gate 3 at this time.
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    How do you cope with writing within the constraint od what is basically someone else's universe?
    Have you ever wanted to write about a concept but had it rejected by Wotc for whatever reason?
  • Wikkid_SuhnWikkid_Suhn Member Posts: 136

We don't have a contract to create Baldur's Gate 3 at this time.

I didn't hear a no! Looks like you got your answer @Jonelethirenicus

edited November 2012
    @ajwz you should make sure you tag @Dave if you don't wanna post it in his AMA =) That way he'll be sure to see it when he gets a chance to take a look here.

(but seriously everyone, go go to the AMA! It'll be great! There are virtual cookies, brought to you by virtual hobbits, I swear!)
  • Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729
    @Dave - how come there aren't any Kindle versions of your books (in the UK, at least)? I stopped buying most physical books a while back.
  • j0lssonij0lssoni Member Posts: 53
    edited November 2012
    *snip*
    Post edited by j0lssoni on
  • AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,526
    edited November 2012
    @Dave spilled some interesting beans about a seemingly strange/peculiar/unexpected thief NPC for BG2:EE, as well as BG2:EE potentially having a lot of plot holes filled à la Unfinished Business. He also mentioned plans for more NPCs as post-ship DLCs if the reaction to Neera, Dorn and Rasaad is positive enough (that is, really positive).

Oh, he also said something about Tiax and Dorn having a most interesting exchange of opinions if both are in party ;-)

One thing I would like to ask @Dave is: You mentioned Dorn was the hardest character to write for. May I ask you why? Is it because, as you said in another answer, you don't enjoy writing evil characters that aren't also funny (Dorn has been described by Trent and Phil as purely, unapologetically evil)?

You also said Rasaad was the one you enjoyed the most, which is curious given that he's the archetypical do-gooder. What made him interesting to you, from a writer's perspective? Was it the challenge to turn a righteous champion of good into something fresh and non-clichéd?

What about your feelings toward Neera (not toward her portrait ;-) )?
  • MornmagorMornmagor Member Posts: 1,160
    edited November 2012
    It was interesting indeed to hear that Dorn was the hardest, probably as a concept, while Rasaad was more enjoyable.

Since Dave i think said that he does like funny-joker characters, do you think maybe Rasaad will start saying jokes after each critical? :p

I'm joking obviously, but it's gonna be interesting to see those NPCs alive in our party. Especially since Rasaad came out to me as more straighforward serious-heroic.
  • ForseForse Member Posts: 106
    Thanks AndreaColombo for the summary. Nice to hear that we might get a thief for BG2, as they were sort of rare there, as opposed to in BG1.
  • ScooterScooter Member Posts: 182
    @Mornmagor actually I don't know, I'm not expecting Rasaad to be that completely serious type at all, straight forward probably, but I imagine he will have a refreshing sense of humour, not the crazy type of Minsc or Tiax but an intelligent, witty response type of humour. Personally he's the one I'm looking forward to playing the most :)
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    I'm so not interested in the new NPC's. I see BlackGuard fanboyism as akin to Drow fanboyism and don't 'get' the appeal there. A monk - they take too much babysitting to keep alive in early levels. Neera - I'd like to see that character, but am unwilling to accept the risks of Wild Magic for any long term in the game. Maybe my views will change when I've played more - I've only done one playthrough, so the basic game still has stuff I haven't seen.
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853

I'm so not interested in the new NPC's. I see BlackGuard fanboyism as akin to Drow fanboyism and don't 'get' the appeal there. A monk - they take too much babysitting to keep alive in early levels. Neera - I'd like to see that character, but am unwilling to accept the risks of Wild Magic for any long term in the game. Maybe my views will change when I've played more - I've only done one playthrough, so the basic game still has stuff I haven't seen.

Sheesh dude, cry some more? I'm not fond of every new feature in BG:EE either but you don't see me basically telling everyone that their love of a feature is foolish.
    Sheesh dude, cry some more? I'm not fond of every new feature in BG:EE either but you don't see me basically telling everyone that their love of a feature is foolish.
    Actually, I was very careful to use qualifier "I see" because it is purely my opinion. Nowhere did I tell anybody that their love or interest in a feature is anything good or bad. I'll get you some tissue.
  • AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,526
    edited November 2012
    @Scooter - As per Dave's words, Neera is the wisecracker character in BG:EE. Hence, I believe the witty kind of humor you're looking for will be more of her thing than Rasaad's. Then again, Rasaad's might as well have a sense of humor ... I mean, who doesn't? :)

@reedmilfam - You don't have to be a blackguard-fanboy to appreciate the character of Dorn. He's pure melee prowess for evil-aligned parties, and his backstory as detailed by Dave's short story is quite interesting. Also, have you heard Gord Marriott's sound clips? That's helluva cool, imho.
    It's not that I think the character is bad or whatnot or that the work on him is my problem. You're artificially limited to 5 characters, so I have to want to bring one on to deal with him or her. I'm glad some people are excited about it. I'm just not one of them.

I write a little flippantly mostly meaning to be amusing or whatnot. Sometimes, it rubs people the wrong way. It happens. I think my overall body of work isn't always anti BG:EE or people's ideas, and isn't always pro. Maybe I'm the worst kind of troll - I'm a troll that doesn't think he IS one! I mean, lots of us regenerate like sea stars, right? It's normal, right?

And who's that trip-trapping over my bridge?
  • trinittrinit Member Posts: 705
    @Dave thank you very much for this AMA!

i was too late to participate, but i think i got my fix of new bg:ee information from other questions. i liked what i've red, and you made the new content sound even more interesting. cant wait to finally see it!

i hope overwhelming questions about bg:ee were not tiresome, but that is the most anticipated thing right now :)
  • MornmagorMornmagor Member Posts: 1,160
    It was Dave and Phillip that wrote the characters together from what we've been told.

Thus, i find it hard to imagine no smartass or funny comments from all of the characters here and there :P

Maybe Dorn would have less, or some more "venomous" lines but anything works :p
    Hey now, just because YOU don't appreciate a homosexual halfling barbarian...
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    That's a halfling?

I thought it was one of those area 52 aliens.
  • mch202mch202 Member Posts: 1,455
    edited November 2012
    S-O..... How Dorn is going to react to the girdle of femininity ??? I hope Dornina will have some funny dialog..
  • BaggerBagger Member Posts: 144
    It's a manbearpig!
  • AbelAbel Member Posts: 785

@reedmilfam I totally agree with you. I quite dislike pretty much all NPCs in BG because of their class/attributes. I definitely know I will never use a Paladin, single class Mage or Monk in BG:EE since they are outperformed by multi/dual-classed Warriors/Mages. But I like the interactions they bring. So, I usually modify their class/attributes to get the best of both worlds.
    @Abel - my take is a little different. I do like some of the NPC's. The arbitrary game limit of how many you can have with you, though, makes it not worth it (to me) to add new NPC's. I think they're there for replayability or whatnot, which is fine - but, since I'm limited to 5 (some are pairs, too!), it's more a 'who do I trade for this' question.
  • AbelAbel Member Posts: 785
    @reedmilfam I see what you mean. Well, indeed one can have to compare the relative value of each NPC. I believe some classes are better/worse than others. But I think the developers' idea with each NPC addition is to fill out roles previously unfilled. Also, along with items, NPCs being among the easiest mods to make it was likely players would have even more choices to do!