Skip to content

Does slow poison cure drunkeness?

I'm just curious, does slow poison or one of the other healing spells "cure" drunkeness? :-)

That way if I had any of this spells left over before resting in an Inn my party could get roaring drunk and not have a hangover in the morning (oh I wish I could do that I real life...)

Comments

• LadyEibhilinRhettLadyEibhilinRhett Member Posts: 1,078
    Um. I think so. Not sure, though.
  • JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    It does. :D
  • cory5694cory5694 Member Posts: 23
    If your cleric is sober enough to cast it :D
  • Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729
    Great! Will have to get to try it. BTW do characters with a high poison save resist the effects of drunkeness longer?
  • PantalionPantalion Member Posts: 2,137

Great! Will have to get to try it. BTW do characters with a high poison save resist the effects of drunkeness longer?

Isn't this why dwarves drink so much?
  • AHFAHF Member Posts: 1,376
    Pantalion said:

Isn't this why dwarves drink so much?
    Blast it!!! Made another o' tha' saving throws. Barkeep - give me some o' tha' Shadowdark Ale. Aye, tha' Mead be too expensive ta keep guzzlin'.
  • MortiannaMortianna Member Posts: 1,356
    Technically, Slow Poison would delay the effects of alcohol until the spell's duration expires. Neutralize Poison would eliminate the alcohol from your system. So, if I were a cleric about to cheat in a drinking contest, I'd first cast Slow Poison and then cast Neutralize Poison after I've won. (Otherwise, someone else would probably have to cast Raise Dead on me.) :)
    Mortianna said:

Technically, Slow Poison would delay the effects of alcohol until the spell's duration expires. Neutralize Poison would eliminate the alcohol from your system. So, if I were a cleric about to cheat in a drinking contest, I'd first cast Slow Poison and then cast Neutralize Poison after I've won. (Otherwise, someone else would probably have to cast Raise Dead on me.) :)

Although in BG the slow poison spell netralises some of the weaker posions completely, so it kind of makes sense for it to "cure" drunkeness
    edited November 2012

It's only based on Constitution.
    BTW is any of the information you can gain (in the orginal BG1 anyway, not sure it works in BGT/Tutu) from drinking in an Inn actually useful at all? I've not really explored this that much.
  • bbearbbear Member Posts: 1,180
    Too bad a bunch of monsters are immune to drunkenness. I once used a wish spell in the slum to make everyone intoxicated but they all turned hostile on me.
  • MortiannaMortianna Member Posts: 1,356
    edited November 2012
    @Oxford_Guy I've found it's relatively the same information you can get from talking with the locals.
    "We want the finest wines available to humanity, we want them here, and we want them now!"
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318

BTW is any of the information you can gain (in the orginal BG1 anyway, not sure it works in BGT/Tutu) from drinking in an Inn actually useful at all? I've not really explored this that much.

Not really, at least not in my experience.

You can find out a bit about various quests, or get clues that point in their general direction. But let's face it, there's walkthroughs that make it a lot easier. For me it wasn't worth the bother, anyway.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,316

Mortianna said:

Although in BG the slow poison spell netralises some of the weaker posions completely, so it kind of makes sense for it to "cure" drunkeness
    I've yet to come across a poison in the BG series that I could not remove using slow poison. I don't even bother keeping neutralise poison memorised.
    elminster said:

I've yet to come across a poison in the BG series that I could not remove using slow poison. I don't even bother keeping neutralise poison memorised.

Really? I could've sworn I've been poisoned in BG1 and not been able to get rid of it with Slow Poison, but I may be mistaken.

BTW what's the lowest level spell that will cure disease? Early on disease (from Ghasts, often) causes problems for my party.
  • ARKdeEREHARKdeEREH Member Posts: 531
    edited November 2012
    I didn't realize you could get drunk in Baldur's Gate, but then I've almost never actually had my characters drink anything in taverns. How much do they need to get drunk and what happens to them if they do?
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    ARKdeEREH said:

I didn't realize you could get drunk in Baldur's Gate, but then I've almost never actually had my characters drink anything in taverns. How much do they need to get drunk and what happens to them if they do?

IIRC, there are some penalties added to their performance in combat. It's been so long that I honestly can't recall exactly what it is, but it causes some impairment to functioning.

ARKdeEREH said:

It's based on their Constitution, but five drinks is typical. Drunk characters get a bonus to morale and a penalty to luck, which affects all their rolls.

elminster said:

Really? I could've sworn I've been poisoned in BG1 and not been able to get rid of it with Slow Poison, but I may be mistaken.

BTW what's the lowest level spell that will cure disease? Early on disease (from Ghasts, often) causes problems for my party.
    That would be cure disease, which is a level 3 cleric/druid spell.
    elminster said:

That would be cure disease, which is a level 3 cleric/druid spell.
    Thanks, BTW what other (higher level) spells cure disease as part of their effect?
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    I'm thinking it should prolong the drunkenness, as we've slowed the dissipation of alcohol in the body! Cheaper drunk binges!

What is the point of getting drunk in BG though?

What is the point of getting drunk in BG though?

It's fun!
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    edited November 2012
    @Oxford_Guy, a Heal spell cures diseases. But using it for just that would be overkill. Kind of like swatting a fly with a sledgehammer.
    I suppose death could also cure disease. I'm not sure on that one :)
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    From the Journal in BG1:

"Day 1, Hour 7 (1 Mirtul, 1368) : Nessa the Cow is feeling a bit under the weather today. Dreppin's asked me to get a potion of antidote from Hull, who's been posted to the gate this morning. It appears that Hull has been using them to avoid his morning hangovers..."