Skip to content

Bounty Hunter next weapon proficiency?

I have a level 12 bounty hunter dwarf with 19 strength/18 dexterity in Siege of Dragonspear and plan to carry him over to BG2 for a full run-through. I am contemplating my upcoming weapon slots and am somewhat torn on which direction to go next. I am playing a small party of 2-3.

As an experiment, I built him as a dagger-chucker in BG 1 and he has proficiencies currently in Dagger, SWS, Quarterstaff, and THS. He used mainly Dagger of Venom/throwing daggers and Aule's +3 Staff/Staff of Striking in BG and thus far in Siege. Throwing daggers were great after the strength tome and are excellent in SoD with the magic/poisoned ones, but one thing I missed and am missing are ranged elemental damage options.

For his level 12 proficiency I am torn on taking either katana (for Celestial Fury later), short bow (adds elemental options coupled which compliments the great BG2 returning/poisoned throwing daggers), or even short sword or scimitar for speed-weapons and eventual dual-wielding (note: I use Rogue Rebalancing which allows TWF for all thieves).

How would you build him out further going into BG2/ToB?

Comments

• AerakarAerakar Member Posts: 1,026
    Also, I could consider darts. I was thinking to take them already in SoD for Biter and then Crimson Dart later to compliment his throwing daggers. I am using Biter to finish trolls without proficiency now.

I have never played with darts in Bg2, so this could be an entertaining change versus Tuigan.
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    well thieves have very fast level progression, so technically even if you miss out on a proficiency now, it won't take that long to wait for that other point

in SoA conservatively your thief will hit level 20, so there's 2 more proficiency points you are going to gain there, and in ToB you will probably hit around level 36, so there's 4 more proficiency points there as well

also, even if you use a weapon in which you do not have proficiency in, I believe rogues only get a 3 point penalty ( actually it might be 4 ) to the attack roll, so not really the end of the world per se

but for your next point, it is based on how you play your bounty hunter, personally I like using ranged weapons that don't require ammo, and you can get a couple of them before you hit spell hold ( boomerang dagger +2 and tansheron bow +3 )

but, if you more into melee, one option could be scimitar ( and perhaps short sword as well ) so you can use those +1 attack per round weapons dual wield both so then you can get 4 attacks per round, and then when you need a +3 weapon for the odd enemy that can't get hit by a +2, you can just use celestial fury for said baddie
  • AerakarAerakar Member Posts: 1,026
    Thanks @sarevok57 , you framed your answer to my question better than I did in my own head :) , i.e. do I play my bounty hunter with more of a melee or ranged focus?

With this particular charname, frankly he has been much more of a melee thief: setting-up ambushes, scouting, and using hit and fade for backstabs regularly before leading very tough groups back to the party support to finish off. He regularly has jumped into the fray supporting Kagain/Minsc up front (and has paid for it sometimes!). I feel his weapon set-up for BG1 supported this approach, with dagger of venom and quarterstaff for both poisoned and hard-hitting backstabs and general melee.

With throwing daggers, and after he reached 19 strength, I have not really felt the lack of another ranged weapon offering elemental damage until the troll-fest that is the beginning/middle of SoD. Of course there are some elemental daggers in Siege and I guess I could continue also to use Biter to finish off trolls for now, which seems to work given the high ROF even without proficiency as you noted.

I think I will continue leaning towards a melee focus with this character and just stick to throwing daggers for my main ranged option for BG2/ToB. I think I will take scimitars for my level 12 pip in preparation for Belm/SNT and then throw in either TWF and/or Celestial Fury in BG2.