Skip to content

Repainted/edited portraits for Coran, Safana, Imoen, Rasaad, Dorn and female elf

2»

Comments

• JaanivJaaniv Member Posts: 17
    Thank you @trinit, hatless number six is definitely going to be my PC-picture for good-party run (half-elf ranger/cleric), right after I finish with my evil run :)
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    @trinit, great artwork! You actually managed to make Coran look like a handsome ladies' man and still keep his basic character and color-scheme.

I like Female Charname without the hat, and with the "plastic surgery" to her chin and jaw.

Well done.
  • trinittrinit Member Posts: 705
    @jmanreis the files are not named properly right now, they just have proper resolution, since i'm still waiting to see if there will be any override folder as well as the old naming in bg:ee. i'l put an update with names once the game gets out and i'll tag you.
  • WorgWorg Member Posts: 170
    They look good. Good enough to eat.
  • KaxonKaxon Member Posts: 156
    I think it's extremely hard to edit existing work and make your changes match up with the original style. For example, with the female elf (my favorite BG portrait), I like the idea of longer hair. But the new hair is noticeably less detailed than the original portrait. Additionally, her original face is kinda shiny, but her new chin and forehead are matte. The new image looks a little blurry around the ears and lips. If I weren't comparing the two I would like the new one, but looking at them side by side I prefer the original. I hope this is constructive since I'm mentioning specific thing I noticed, I don't mean to bash your effort.
    @Kaxon i agree, it is hard to edit existing work, just like it is copying someone's style.

the problem with lips is they are scaled up, and the repainted areas lack texture. the sensible thing would be to go to internet and find the suitable skin texture, multiply it with those areas, smooth-delete excess out and dodge-tool some highlights. hair would simply need more work put into it.

all the images are a bit more blurry than originals, if you take a close look, a consequence of resizing and editing the image. that could be partially solved with merging with existing images i guess, but i didn't notice it until i posted it so it is what it is.

in general i still think the quality is good enough for small sizes that are used in-game, and i actually like the visible paint on hair on the female elf ( another excuse in my head is the upcoming pack of portraits from manley, i prefer his style to bg1 or bg2), although i think that also blends in at smaller sizes.

in any case, you noticed the flaws correctly and i cant do anything but admit them, but perhaps it is worth mentioning that this was 2-3 days work in spare time, done in order to test new piece of hardware i got.
    in process i corrected a few things that bothered me on some of the original portraits with (for me) the satisfactory result. so, this is my excuse :)
    also, i would like to do some original portraits, but i'm waiting to see the upcoming portrait pack.
  • insiteinsite Member Posts: 6
    edited December 2012
    http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/594/imoenl.png
    can't take that ugly original imoen, a little repaint should work i guess.
  • FrozenCellsFrozenCells Member Posts: 385
    I'd likie to see a bald Dorn. Half-orcs don't suit hair :p
    in case anybody wonders, all the portraits have correct naming and size.

if you haven't already, create a "Portrait" (with capital) folder in your "Baldurs Gate Enhanced Edition" folder that is located in "My Documents", and just place the desired portraits into "Portrait" folder you've created there. the game will recognize replacements and use them accordingly (no need for override folder). that is also true for custom portraits for PC.
    in case you want to use portrait for PC instead of NPC, simply rename them.

in case you have a portrait of your own and would like to use it for a NPC, here is the list of proper namings for each NPC (in LARGE, MEDIUM and SMALL order):

Ajantis AJANTISL AJANTISM AJANTISS
    Alora ALORAL ALORAM ALORAS
    Branwen BRANWEL BRANWEM BRANWES
    Coran CORANL CORANM CORANS
    Dynaheir DYNAHEIL DYNAHEIM DYNAHEIS
    Edwin EDWINL EDWINM EDWINS
    Eldoth ELDOTHL ELDOTHM ELDOTHS
    Faldorn FALDORNL FALDORNM FALDORNS
    Garrick GARRICKL GARRICKM GARRICKS
    Imoen IMOENL IMOENM IMOENS
    Jaheira JAHEIRAL JAHEIRAM JAHEIRAS
    Kagain KAGAINL KAGAINM KAGAINS
    Khalid KHALIDL KHALIDM KHALIDS
    Kivan KIVANL KIVANM KIVANS
    Minsc MINSCL MINSCM MINSCS
    Montaron MONTARL MONTARM MONTARS
    Quayle QUAYLEL QUAYLEM QUAYLES
    Safana SAFANAL SAFANAM SAFANAS
    Shar-teel SHARTELL SHARTELM SHARTELS
    Skie SKIEL SKIEM SKIES
    Tiax TIAXL TIAXM TIAXS
    Viconia VICONIAL VICONIAM VICONIAS
    Xan XANL XANM XANS
    Xzar XZARL XZARM XZARS
    Yeslick YESLICKL YESLICKM YESLICKS

Rasaad, dorn and Neera correspond to *gasp*: rasaad-dorn-neera-L ,M or S
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    I have to say I like both Coran and ElfMage better with less jaw, they look much more interesting that way. Now they just look boring. Oh, and ElfMage's jawjob is not very well done, regardless. Too visible that's it's been messed with.

Otherwise, good jobs. Can't see any difference between the orc portraits though.
  • PaladinPaladin Member Posts: 335
    edited December 2012
    These are great! I rarely like the fan modifications but these are all improvements. I especially like your Coran and Imoen. Well you be making more of these? I hope so!
  • SableRhapsodySableRhapsody Member Posts: 38
    Hey, I happen to like the newer, less scowly Dorn :D Even prettier Dorn has fans!
    @SableRhapsody yaaay, at least someone beside me ;)
  • MeraMera Member Posts: 133
    The modifications on the Safana portrait are so subtle but it's amazing how it changes everything! So much better than the original.
    As for the Coran one, I like it (not that hard tbh, considering how ugly he was) but I still feel like there's some improvements that can be made.
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    Bubbleboy said:

Cool stuff done there!
    Coran still looked a little weird so i decided to repaint his face a bit

This is the best reimagining of the deeply flawed original Coran that I have ever seen. I usually have just replaced his portrait with something completely different. This is close to the original but a huge improvement.

Can you mess with his colors though? I can't see a fighter/thief walking around with so much purple. How about some browns or something?
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • ZanianZanian Member Posts: 332
    edited December 2012
    I love that you removed the beanie on that last one. I still had a few qualms about her though (she looks sick). So I continued on yours and cleaned her skin up (no more fever/sweating) and gave her some less dead eyes. It might be a bit too Barbie-doll for some people though.

• IecerintIecerint Member Posts: 431
    Imoen and Safana look particularly great.
  • Kitteh_On_A_CloudKitteh_On_A_Cloud Member Posts: 1,629
    @trinit: It's absolutely amazing how such subtle changes can completely change your view on certain portraits. I especially like Safana and Imoen. I also like the unnamed Elf girl. She looks much better with an actual jaw, though a bit less 'Elf-ish'. Coran also looks better without his trololo smile. :p
  • SanctiferSanctifer Member Posts: 104
    edited March 2013
    @Bubbleboy and @trinit

Loved what you both did on Coran's portrait.
    I somehow tweaked them a little further, here's what I came up with :
    (I also tweaked trinit's safana, just so she looks less yellow, and less in the shadow, and match better with coran imho)

imageimage

I kinda like them that way, but to be honest I think they don't look "chaotic" enough though :p
    Post edited by Sanctifer on
    Ok so I also made an alternate coran with brownish colours (as someone asked above)
    And I also mas an alternate saf with purpleish colours (as she appears in game)
    Here are the four variations :

imageimage

imageimage
  • FubbyFubby Member Posts: 189
    Imoen looks MUCH better!
  • AntignitionAntignition Member Posts: 23
    Nice work Sanctifier. This Coran is up there with your Viconia, as far as I'm concerned.
    edited November 2014
    Thanks ! :p</br>
    But I almost did nothing on that coran, it's all trinit's fault</br>
    </br>
    You know about my viconia then ? </br>
    I've seen it around here, in the forum, but nobody seemed to know I did it
    Post edited by Sanctifer on
  • JeongJeong Member Posts: 1
    Incredible!! thanks for this great work I love it!
  • suysuy Member Posts: 30
    Hi @trinit, would you by chance a copy of the portraits? I'm afraid the link on the first post is now down. The previews still work, but I suppose they have a bit of a smaller resolution.

Additionally, if it's not too much to ask, would you accept the portraits to be added to some mod? E.g. G3's continuous NPC portraits has some small alternatives for Viconia and Imoen. Maybe it would make sense for the portraits to be part of some mod or tweak that provides alternatives for NPC potraits. What I like about both your version and Lava's on that mod, is that are subtle but powerful, and not a whole redesign of the portrait, so maybe it's a good fit for this mod (or some other, which I might even consider doing myself).

Cheers, and thank you!
    suy wrote: »
    Hi @trinit, would you by chance a copy of the portraits? I'm afraid the link on the first post is now down. The previews still work, but I suppose they have a bit of a smaller resolution.

Additionally, if it's not too much to ask, would you accept the portraits to be added to some mod? E.g. G3's continuous NPC portraits has some small alternatives for Viconia and Imoen. Maybe it would make sense for the portraits to be part of some mod or tweak that provides alternatives for NPC potraits. What I like about both your version and Lava's on that mod, is that are subtle but powerful, and not a whole redesign of the portrait, so maybe it's a good fit for this mod (or some other, which I might even consider doing myself).

Cheers, and thank you!

Sure no problem!

here are the portraits, couldn't find dorns though as im using a new version. and you have permisssion to use it in a mod, no problem