Having playing BGII since 2001, I always had Minsc using two weapons, I usually play as paladin and have Keldorn in the party too (nice combo and awesome dialogues, I like to play the master/apprentice dynamics with him), so makes no point have another chat using two handed swords (I do make him use some till I get the feyr and flail of ages etc).
Recently, during my first run through Siege of Dragonspear, I did some research about Minsc state on BGII post EE AND the new expansion. I am quite torn between stick with my usual playstyle or give him a two handed sword if not for the powergame aspect, for a little of diversity.
I saw that there are many divided opinions regarding how well he fares with dual wielding and two handed swords (yeah old discussion but till then dual wield was a winner for me). But another thing callled my attention: the dragon blade +3 wich we get on SoD and can be carried to BGIIEE.
DRAGON BLADE +3
1d10+3, +1 cold
– While enraged, the chance to score a critical hit is increased by 10% (Berserkers, Barbarians and Rashemi warriors only)
– Deals an extra 2d4 points of cold damage and slows the target for 1 round (no save) on a critical hit
Ok, Lilancor is Minsc way to got through beggining till middle-something due its shield to confusion etc, at least untill I start to find some nice maces and hammers while specc in flails. But this blade is pretty awesome on SoD (i used it on my main) and can be imported to BGIIEE. So I would like to hear your though about it. Dragon Blade has 2 great aspects IMHO:
- roleplaying wise you got it on SoD from another rashemi berserker.
- extra cold damage on critical and Minsc usually scores it a lot.
- same effect (slow) that Ardulia's Fall +1 (mace), one of the earlier weapons I make him dual wield but this one is a +3.
- Dragon Blade is not that far in the game. You can zap to Windspear Hills and kill Tazok to get it. Not as fast as Lilancor (you can even get it first) but still a fast run to a good weapon.
*I am NOT sure if Minsc actually qualifies ingame/mechanics-wise to get the rage bonus. Perhaps someone can confirm this digging codes?* It states that rashemi warriors can unlock it and he is one for sure. I think he is quite dangerous (to party members) on rage state but even so, IF that is the case, it is a nice combo with the cold/slow effect.
I want give this a try, make him use it till I get the vorpal that I usually give to Keldorn and make the old man use swords and shield late.