Skip to content

[Discussion] Fleshing out the Bandits (Contains spoilers for BG1)

ThalamondThalamond Member Posts: 108
This thread contains a few spoilers for Baldur's Gate 1

Roleplay has always had a considerable impact on Baldur's Gate - and yet, we are very limited when it comes to straying from the path of "ye goody goodies (makes me sick (tm))". Especially the bandit section of the game comes to mind. With how fleshed out the bandits appear to be in the Bandit Camp chapter, it seems slightly ridiculous how fast you simply wipe them out and then that's GG. You still occasionally meet bandits in random encounters, and NPCs will tell you that bandits have been making a lot of trouble, but this is barely reflected in the direct player experience.

As I see it, there are several (not mutually exclusive) ways to fix these problems and give bandits the place they should really have in the game:

-Quest for the aftermath of the destruction of the Bandit Camp - who will take over the leadership of each bandit organisation? Where else do the bandits hide out now that their main base of operations has been destroyed?

-Join the bandits: After all, those tough guys who dont want you dead for your actions against them, may instead offer you a considerable compensation and "rank" within their faction.*

*Here I am not talking about becoming a leader in a large bandit organisation, but maybe have a high post in a small splinter group or just be an ordinary member in a large one.

With these ideas I see a lot of possibilities added to Good, neutral, and especially evil parties. While a good party may further pursue the complete eradication of the bandits, an evil party may join them and use the membership for egotistical purposes such as blackmailing and caravan robberies. Something like this could of course be a very time consuming mod with lots of quests made, however, even a small mod with an NPC or 2 with a few dialogues to get you into the faction (and then flag bandits as friendly) or stay hostile with them would be enough to give the game a significant immersion boost. Talking of immersion, I guess you also have to consider the role of the Iron Throne in the Bandits' actions. Here ingame lore gives us ample opportunities for hostility, though. Sarevok, for instance, mentions in his diary that he dislikes some of the bandit leaders and we are also told that the different groups don't really care much for each other.

Well, this was just a small brain storm to start a discussion. Anyone else has a good idea? :-)

Comments

• Fog6532Fog6532 Member Posts: 1
    I realize this thread is a bit old and the project rather ambitious, but hopefully we can make something come of this.

I really like the idea of fleshing out the bandits more.

To expand on the idea a player of any alignment could join the bandits as a way of infiltrating the Cloakwood mines and potentially working their way into the Iron Throne.

I've also found it a bit of a waste that there is no option to help Yeslick with the mine as it would go a long way toward easing the iron crisis. I think there could be a solid quest line focused on raising support and funding to get the mine manned and maintain a trade route through the forest.

I think there is a lot of potential there and would be interested in helping out in any way I can.