Skip to content

Touch spell stuff

SystemSystem Administrator Posts: 199

Comments

• szczurszymonszczurszymon Member Posts: 1
    Hi!

Could you confirm that on present version of BG:EE touch spells don't receive To Hit bonus?
    I've tested it on Chill Touch (vanilla version v2.3.67.3) and even 'Extra Combat Info' shows that there is no bonus to hit. If so, then touch spells were severly hindered.
    Have you came across this issue?

In attachment are sreens.

Regards,
    Szymon
  • Alesia_BHAlesia_BH Member Posts: 759
    edited September 2017
    Hey there, hi there, Szymom!

I hope I haven't opened the flood gates to bug reports/inquiries. This isn't the place, really. My bad!

We can talk in PM, if you like. In the alternative, we can open another thread.

Best,

A.

NW: I'm running v 1.3, so I can't test. I will say that I've been told that the change to Chill Touch was a deliberate fix. The +4 in the original game was, supposedly, an error.
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,320
    I agree Chill Touch no longer has a bonus to hit in BGEE - and I agree that's a shame (I haven't looked at it recently, but I seem to remember the THAC0 penalty has been nerfed as well). I've played using a melee sorcerer a fair amount and Chill Touch used to be good for that. It was nice to have a spell that was not used much by most people, but was actually pretty powerful in the right circumstances. Now the spell is pretty useless - it will tend to reduce the amount of damage a mage could do in normal melee because you don't get the bonus to hit and damage from weapon enchantment and strength.

There are a couple of minor benefits:
    - the elemental damage can be useful against stoneskins, although it would be an unusual mage that saw that as their best tactic.
    - the spell disables the normal crippling THAC0 penalty for dual-wielding.
    Those aren't enough to do more than make it a very niche spell now though.